Christian Eriksen - Player Thread | Page 18 | Vital Football

Christian Eriksen - Player Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting what he's saying today... putting out what he should have been saying months ago, when RM and leaving after CL final hints were destabilizing matters. Maybe he's realizing how much goodwill he has squandered?

'On Friday I will be back in London for a meeting with Daniel and at the weekend maybe I will watch some national teams live and on Monday I prepare the week.

'I'm not going to walk away. I'm not the type of person to send a message through social media.'

Pochettino branded it 'a stupid rumour' which had been designed 'to create a big problem that doesn't exist'.

'After five years we are starting the sixth and we worked have worked hard in the summer to rebuild and update the squad,'

'What is most important is that we care about the club and together try to deliver the best for the club.'

One way or the other we need to get things settled!!!

A glimpse of the disharmony and dissension that keeping a player in the squad who's made it clear he wants away:

This is why the whole squad is still unsettled. A Spurs player who I know well, but will remain nameless told me that he actually told him to 'fcuk off and go'....

“On Saturday we are going to know if Christian is going to be with us or not,” said Pochettino. “That is the most important thing. After, [on] Sunday it is the game, there is no real time to do something.”
Asked if Eriksen is in the right state of mind to play against Arsenal on Sunday, Pochettino said: “He’s working hard. That’s my judgement, with my staff. You need to be right. People need to trust.

“If we make the decision that he’s going to play it’s because we believe he can perform in the way that we expect or we need him to perform. You cannot be 100 per cent right in your judgement. If some people have more information to make that decision, it’s us.

“People will say, why are you playing Christian? The team-mates can say, why are you playing Christian if the rumour is he’s going to leave? Gaffer, why am I not playing when Christian wants to leave, is looking to go away?

“In this situation, there are plenty of things that happen inside that I cannot translate to you and you to our fans. The only way of working hard and being all together is trusting in us, in our decision, in our judgement. Because it is so difficult.”

A glimpse of the disharmony and dissension that keeping a player in the squad who's made it clear he wants away:

This is why the whole squad is still unsettled. A Spurs player who I know well, but will remain nameless told me that he actually told him to 'fcuk off and go'....

“On Saturday we are going to know if Christian is going to be with us or not,” said Pochettino. “That is the most important thing. After, [on] Sunday it is the game, there is no real time to do something.”
Asked if Eriksen is in the right state of mind to play against Arsenal on Sunday, Pochettino said: “He’s working hard. That’s my judgement, with my staff. You need to be right. People need to trust.

“If we make the decision that he’s going to play it’s because we believe he can perform in the way that we expect or we need him to perform. You cannot be 100 per cent right in your judgement. If some people have more information to make that decision, it’s us.

“People will say, why are you playing Christian? The team-mates can say, why are you playing Christian if the rumour is he’s going to leave? Gaffer, why am I not playing when Christian wants to leave, is looking to go away?

“In this situation, there are plenty of things that happen inside that I cannot translate to you and you to our fans. The only way of working hard and being all together is trusting in us, in our decision, in our judgement. Because it is so difficult.”

Yep this is not surprising. We are in a very unstable state at the moment.

Do players still call the manager......sorry, coach , “gaffer”?
It’s a real conundrum. We need him , but we need the proper Eriksen. Not the one that’s been turning up lately

Where is Eriksens best position ?

Who does he play with best that is not a striker?

Position wise it might be obvious....as part of a two or 3 behind the striker but where on the pitch has he contributed most from?

Where is Eriksens best position ?

Who does he play with best that is not a striker?

Position wise it might be obvious....as part of a two or 3 behind the striker but where on the pitch has he contributed most from?

2 positions for me

The first is a completely free role. Eriksen runs a marathon in a game and spends his whole time finding space to influence the game. He cannot be marked when he is in that frame of mind. Additionally, he does so much work defensively, shutting down space, nicking the ball and starting moves quickly. When he has the free spirit thing going, he's an absolute menace.

The second is tucked in on the attacking right. Like Iniesta, but the Spaniard did it tucked in on the left. It gets congested in the middle but I've noticed that players like Iniesta and Eriksen thrive in the channel with that little bit of free space. They exploit the channel between the full-back and centre half and stay away from the centre mid physicality.

A massively gifted player.

So.......
If he is staying up until January or he runs down his contract.. Can we be assured of maximum effort from him?
I can't see it myself. Although he hasn't stropped around the place (in public anyway) and his social Media doesn't put him in a bad light I wonder if we can rely on him to commit himself if he know he is off....
How will his teammates feel if they all think they have to put in the extra three or four percent each to Make up for him dialing it back a bit each game?

The fact that Poch has made such a big deal over the whole affair has disaster written all over it if Eriksen doesn't knuckle down and give max effort. He needs to take a look at Lukas last six months. At least that way he will always be welcome back as a guest.

So.......
If he is staying up until January or he runs down his contract.. Can we be assured of maximum effort from him?
I can't see it myself. Although he hasn't stropped around the place (in public anyway) and his social Media doesn't put him in a bad light I wonder if we can rely on him to commit himself if he know he is off....
How will his teammates feel if they all think they have to put in the extra three or four percent each to Make up for him dialing it back a bit each game?

The fact that Poch has made such a big deal over the whole affair has disaster written all over it if Eriksen doesn't knuckle down and give max effort. He needs to take a look at Lukas last six months. At least that way he will always be welcome back as a guest.

I'm just hoping Eriksen figures out that the best way to get the move he wants is to play out of his skin for us.

So.......

All our decent attacks yesterday involved him

When he says he wishes he could decide his future like football manager......does that mean he wants to go ?

Is he only with us because interested clubs want him on the cheap by way of a January reduced fee or a free next summer.

I don't want to see up and down form from him, one good game in 4 just to appease . Either he gives his all or bench him and limit his minutes to allow others to step up like Lo Celso, Moura and Alli, even Parrott.

At least Vert has declared his love for the club and desire to help us win things.

When he says he wishes he could decide his future like football manager......does that mean he wants to go ?

Is he only with us because interested clubs want him on the cheap by way of a January reduced fee or a free next summer.

I don't want to see up and down form from him, one good game in 4 just to appease . Either he gives his all or bench him and limit his minutes to allow others to step up like Lo Celso, Moura and Alli, even Parrott.

At least Vert has declared his love for the club and desire to help us win things.

1 good game in 4?

turned the Villa game
everyone was shit at city
looked our most creative player when came on against Newcastle
Excellent at Arsenal.

1 good game in 4?

turned the Villa game
everyone was shit at city
looked our most creative player when came on against Newcastle
Excellent at Arsenal.

I was predicting the future not assessing the past. He is here for another 6 months and he doesn't want to be so let's hope he keeps professional. His standard is so high it's easy to spot when he is below par.

I was predicting the future not assessing the past. He is here for another 6 months and he doesn't want to be so let's hope he keeps professional. His standard is so high it's easy to spot when he is below par.

RM looks a non-starter now, as well as AM; Juve love a free bargain, so he'll have to adjust his sights. Let's hope he finally gets his head down and plays the way we know he can - if he does, he can help be the difference between Top 4 and lower..

Despite scoring two goals at the weekend (against Gibralter)- he got slated for a lackluster display on twitter and now he's taking more flack for Denmark's poor game/result against Georgia:

According to SofaScore, Eriksen lost possession 29 times against Georgia and only won three of the seven on-ground duels and didn't have a shot on target - in Denmark he was roundly condemned for being 'poor' and looking 'disinterested' in both games. And there won't be many Spurs fans who will be surprised by his poor set-pieces which had the home fans howling and groaning as his corner taking was dreadful.

So is he still suffering a hang-over from the disappointment of not getting the dream move he thought he has in the bag?

Somehow or another Poch now has to motivate him to apply himself again, but sadly at the moment it appears to me he's either in a sulk or just can't be arsed to put in the work and find that spark again.

Once Gio and N'dombele are back, I'd drop him or should he be dropped now?

Despite scoring two goals at the weekend (against Gibralter)- he got slated for a lackluster display on twitter and now he's taking more flack for Denmark's poor game/result against Georgia:

According to SofaScore, Eriksen lost possession 29 times against Georgia and only won three of the seven on-ground duels and didn't have a shot on target - in Denmark he was roundly condemned for being 'poor' and looking 'disinterested' in both games. And there won't be many Spurs fans who will be surprised by his poor set-pieces which had the home fans howling and groaning as his corner taking was dreadful.

So is he still suffering a hang-over from the disappointment of not getting the dream move he thought he has in the bag?

Somehow or another Poch now has to motivate him to apply himself again, but sadly at the moment it appears to me he's either in a sulk or just can't be arsed to put in the work and find that spark again.

Once Gio and N'dombele are back, I'd drop him or should he be dropped now?

I'm starting to feel that Spurs should be very careful with Eriksen. The visible stuff is as you explained it. "Disinterested", "lacklustre", "can't be arsed", "find that spark". It just doesn't sound like the Eriksen we've had on our books for a long time. The one that stays with the 1st team despite the uncertainty of his future.

Perhaps it is a hangover from not getting his dream move, but it's starting to feel that behind a disguised veneer is a player in distress that might need professional help. It's been going on a while now and he's not snapping out of it. Reduced energy levels is perhaps a hint to the outside world as that is a major symptom. I'm wondering how the people closest to him are perceiving his cognitive function, the bit we can't see?

I hope I'm 180 deg wrong, but should we be more worried than just a contractual status driving a below par performance for club and country?

I can only think he is so confident and blase about his talent he knows he can up his game when he wants to. Rather than bust a gut every game he will drop his level if he feels like it.

Similar to Ronnie O' Sullivan in snooker. He knows he is better than anyone else so just turns it on to prove it sometimes. Not a pleasant trait but money is no worry ,he holds the cards.

I can condemn it but if I were in the same boat I'm not sure I'd be any different !!

I'm starting to feel that Spurs should be very careful with Eriksen. The visible stuff is as you explained it. "Disinterested", "lacklustre", "can't be arsed", "find that spark". It just doesn't sound like the Eriksen we've had on our books for a long time. The one that stays with the 1st team despite the uncertainty of his future.

Perhaps it is a hangover from not getting his dream move, but it's starting to feel that behind a disguised veneer is a player in distress that might need professional help. It's been going on a while now and he's not snapping out of it. Reduced energy levels is perhaps a hint to the outside world as that is a major symptom. I'm wondering how the people closest to him are perceiving his cognitive function, the bit we can't see?

I hope I'm 180 deg wrong, but should we be more worried than just a contractual status driving a below par performance for club and country?

There was rumblings last summer about his partnership with Sabrina, no idea what the truth of it may or may not have been, but he had his first kid last year and normally they seem to affect many a new dad/tests a relationship - so that and his failure to secure a deal he'd agreed personal terms on may well have undermined his well-being and his confidence.

The upheaval in the the behind the scenes at Spurs could also have played a part in his below par performances.

But if he truly wants to get that dream move back on track; he'll have to show a damn sight more than he is now or come January he'll be begging clubs to take him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.