Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Lincoln City | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wycombe Wanderers v Lincoln City

Back at home in the West Midlands. That I have to say was poor today. 3 of the worst goals I've seen us concede from a defensive point of view in many a long year. It all seemed just too disjointed.
First half was probably the worst we've played for a heck of a long time. Second half was certainly brighter with more energy, but that long break after our goal seemed to knock our impetus too much and we never got that level back.Their third goal killed us off as heads went down.
I will catch up with what others think. Points of discussion I suspect will revolve around our goal, the referee and our set up at set pieces

We set up at set pieces?

I was a little embarrassed by the bravado of the Imps fans when there was clearly a serious injury in front of them.

The referee was dogshit.

If we win our away games and lose the home games for the rest of the season, I'll be happy!
Got to stop leaking goals,today was shocking.
Midfield over run and outfought,shape improved with big john,feel sorry for Walker playing the lone isolated striker,a wasted talent.
Morrells legs in midfield a big miss today.
Pissed off and still not home for another hour.

Last edited:
For those who went to the game, what sort of reception was Allsop given?
He was warmly clapped when taking his place in goal in front of us Imps for the second half but spoiled things by going down with a major back injury after jumping for the ball with Akinde?? No foul but down for 5 Minutes then duly got up to take the resultant kick .... that didn’t endear him to anyone behind him!!!

The biggest disappointment was the fans. The streams who went to shout at Bolger as he was warming up after the 2nd was a disgrace. We turned on our team today rather than get behind them when they needed us. The amount of shit shouted was laughable. People giving up to put tweets out abusing our players

Bit confused by this point as I saw and heard nothing of this. Don't use Twitter so can't comment on that but although some were complaining about the second goal going virtually straight there was nothing obvious of this nature. I though the fans were I was, which was virtually directly behind the goal, kept the encouragement going throughout

I was a little embarrassed by the bravado of the Imps fans when there was clearly a serious injury in front of them.

Some arses shouting to bring out the dustbin were bang out of order. Fortunately they were in the minority and I hope that the applause the majority of us gave once he was on the stretcher is a better reflection of us as supporters

Dont blame you,the goals we conceded were straight out of park football.
During the week i said we were leaking too many simple goals,but today turned out even worse than that.
Confidence in the keeper is dropping rapidly.
You gift 3 goals and 1 on the first 5 its uphill all the way.

I haven't re-watched them since the game itself (you can understand why) but the keeper I thought was only to blame for the 3rd.

On the 1st the ball seemed to go through the wall, and the second could have been cleared by Bostwick but bounced off him into the net.

Although Vickers didn't have a good game he wasn't helped by the Corporal Jones defending in front of him today. He did, however, make a really good one handed save from..... Eardley.

Brendan you are so much closer to the truth than devonexlondonimp.

It’s easy to just blame the goalkeeper when you lose, but...

As Cowley says defending is an eleven man job.

Personally, I think the reasons we are conceding more goals are fairly simple to understand but a little harder to solve.

The most obvious reason is the quality of the players we are playing against.
Last season we had a L1 defence playing against L2 players. Now it’s more an even contest.

Secondly we have introduced some new players to improve our attacking threat.
These new players would obviously need time to be on method in terms of
defensive duties, whoever they were.

But, in addition, I don’t think Walker, Payne and Grant are naturally as good at defending as the more workmanlike players they replaced. It’s going to take time to improve their game in this area.

The first goal was caused by Grant jumping out of the wall. To be charitable I think he was trying to block the shot but failed miserably.

The second goal was almost certainly a case of epic blocking by Wycombe but would have been less likely had Rhead or even Akinde been patrolling the front post.

Vickers made a mistake for the third but if that’s his Achilles heel we should be okay as there won’t be many corner takers that can pick out that spot from the corner flag.

The back four and goalkeeper in the early part of the season have been less well assisted by the rest of the team in defending our goal, than they were last season against inferior players.

The good news is these shortcomings can be worked on and should slowly be improved upon as the season goes on.

Other good news

We are still 5th in L1
Have already played 2 of the top 4
Have Morrell, Hesketh, Pett, Coker, Lewis and Frecklington hopefully to strengthen the squad in the coming weeks

There will be ups and downs this season. Today was a down ...
on to the next up at Sincil Bank on Saturday against Bristol Rovers.

Dont blame you,the goals we conceded were straight out of park football.
During the week i said we were leaking too many simple goals,but today turned out even worse than that.
Confidence in the keeper is dropping rapidly.
You gift 3 goals and 1 on the first 5 its uphill all the way.
Always said my first signing of the summer would have been Gilks. That ship has sailed. So is Smith worth a punt for a few games?

Three poor goals to concede. The wall at the free kick was set up with 3 and a 4th who was lurking on the edge of the wall. Vickers was covering the right side of the goal. At no point did i see him walk over to his left post to take a look at the ball. I could see a gap before the player kicked it...straight in. That goal was preventable.
The 2 goals direct from corners. First one was the fault of who was on the near post, not Vickers. The 3rd just seemed to fly in over the keepers reach.
I think we could consider ourselves lucky it wasnt 5 or 6. Wycombe had a lot of very good chances and attacked at pace and direct. Ripped us open.
I thought Wycombe outgunned us in the midfield most of the game. We did manage to play some good stuff on occasion, but they snuffed out our plays over and over again.
I thought John Akinde was marvellous. Controlled the ball well, layed it off, beat his man to put in a cross a couple of times. Only criticism would be he had the ball in a position to have a crack at goal a few times and chose to lay it off.

Three poor goals to concede. The wall at the free kick was set up with 3 and a 4th who was lurking on the edge of the wall. Vickers was covering the right side of the goal. At no point did i see him walk over to his left post to take a look at the ball. I could see a gap before the player kicked it...straight in. That goal was preventable.
The 2 goals direct from corners. First one was the fault of who was on the near post, not Vickers. The 3rd just seemed to fly in over the keepers reach.
I think we could consider ourselves lucky it wasnt 5 or 6. Wycombe had a lot of very good chances and attacked at pace and direct. Ripped us open.
I thought Wycombe outgunned us in the midfield most of the game. We did manage to play some good stuff on occasion, but they snuffed out our plays over and over again.
I thought John Akinde was marvellous. Controlled the ball well, layed it off, beat his man to put in a cross a couple of times. Only criticism would be he had the ball in a position to have a crack at goal a few times and chose to lay it off.

I agree we were outfought in the middle of the park,Morrell was missed big style.
Wycombe constantly won ball in in those key areas and lofted balls into space behind Eardley and worked their attacks from there.
You have to fight to win the right to play the game and we lost too many 50/50 challenges and balls in the air.
Toffolo offered the main attacking threat and was brave on the ball but too many others didn`t show the same bravery.
Agree big John made a difference and it was good to see Walker kept on the pitch with him,he benefited from the space that JA created by occupying their defenders.
JA now has 2 in 2 but i feel his confidence is still below par(not shooting when in good positions) but these goals are encouraging moving forward.He always puts a shift in.

The inquest will start on Monday for the players and DC will be busy ironing out how an opposition left back scores or is highly influential in all 3 goals in our defeat in a game where the opposition never really sparkled.

Last edited:
Jees people calling for Vickers to be replaced already on here and the “so called” banter page . Do me a favour. He has had one dodgy game and has plenty of credit in the bank. He wasn’t solely to blame for the goals today. Yes it was a poor team performance, by all means criticise the team for the performance today but please have a bit of perspective.

Brendan you are so much closer to the truth than devonexlondonimp.

It’s easy to just blame the goalkeeper when you lose, but...

As Cowley says defending is an eleven man job.

Personally, I think the reasons we are conceding more goals are fairly simple to understand but a little harder to solve.

The most obvious reason is the quality of the players we are playing against.
Last season we had a L1 defence playing against L2 players. Now it’s more an even contest.

Secondly we have introduced some new players to improve our attacking threat.
These new players would obviously need time to be on method in terms of
defensive duties, whoever they were.

But, in addition, I don’t think Walker, Payne and Grant are naturally as good at defending as the more workmanlike players they replaced. It’s going to take time to improve their game in this area.

The first goal was caused by Grant jumping out of the wall. To be charitable I think he was trying to block the shot but failed miserably.

The second goal was almost certainly a case of epic blocking by Wycombe but would have been less likely had Rhead or even Akinde been patrolling the front post.

Vickers made a mistake for the third but if that’s his Achilles heel we should be okay as there won’t be many corner takers that can pick out that spot from the corner flag.

The back four and goalkeeper in the early part of the season have been less well assisted by the rest of the team in defending our goal, than they were last season against inferior players.

The good news is these shortcomings can be worked on and should slowly be improved upon as the season goes on.

Other good news

We are still 5th in L1
Have already played 2 of the top 4
Have Morrell, Hesketh, Pett, Coker, Lewis and Frecklington hopefully to strengthen the squad in the coming weeks

There will be ups and downs this season. Today was a down ...
on to the next up at Sincil Bank on Saturday against Bristol Rovers.

yes,the new lads still have plenty to learn when they are not in possession and this shows even more away from home where you need battlers.
shipped 14 goals in last 6 games ,ouch this needs sorting.

Jees people calling for Vickers to be replaced already on here and the “so called” banter page . Do me a favour. He has had one dodgy game and has plenty of credit in the bank. He wasn’t solely to blame for the goals today. Yes it was a poor team performance, by all means criticise the team for the performance today but please have a bit of perspective.

Good keeper when on form but has shockers.