The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday? | Page 20 | Vital Football

The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday?

When the inevitable time comes i think we must appoint from within, don't think any outsider would understand the impact that the Cowley's have had on the club or the City. Hopefully the next manager will be able to continue the same progress but no guarantee.

When the inevitable time comes i think we must appoint from within, don't think any outsider would understand the impact that the Cowley's have had on the club or the City. Hopefully the next manager will be able to continue the same progress but no guarantee.

This had occurred to me, but for one thing who would be left once Danny has taken his hand picked team with him.

Right opportunity, but the timing is poor :-

Right after the transfer window has closed so have to work with the available squad until January - fitness levels and attitude may be well short of the Cowley Standard.

Dodgy FFP practices hanging over the club, possible investigation by authorities, Birmingham had a points deduction last season under similar circumstances, the risk of that and/or a transfer embargo is significant.

These are two significant factors which place the opportunity a long way from DC's 'perfect', for the moment Come back in May with the FFP issues resolved and its a different proposition.

Just a thought...

DC and NC say they knew nothing about this.

What if the only thoughts on this were from Sky - and SW hadn't contemplated them...

Perhaps we should be wary of our posts on here encouraging them to consider leaving for SW...

For me, they can stay as long as they wish to.

And then some...

Come on you Imps!!!! !!! !!!©

Just a thought...

DC and NC say they knew nothing about this.

What if the only thoughts on this were from Sky - and SW hadn't contemplated them...

Perhaps we should be wary of our posts on here encouraging them to consider leaving for SW...

For me, they can stay as long as they wish to.

And then some...

Come on you Imps!!!! !!! !!!©

Crikey! What a horrible thought that we might be encouraging them to leave by "coming to terms" with something that's never been raised in the first place.

Close the thread quickly!!! :oops:

You are correct but let's put it another way.

We are all on here (this message board) because we are passionate about our club Lincoln City. There is no logical reason to support a football club it's an emotional attachment. Is not your loving your family an emotional attachment? I am not saying it's the same level but it's still an emotional attachment at the end of the day though isn't it?

Therefore if things are going great that emotional attachment makes you feel happy. If it's going bad it makes emotionally feel unhappy. We have had the greatest period of success in our clubs history and we could be on the verge of promotion to the second tier for the first time since 1960. I along with the vast majority of Imps wasn't even alive last time we were in the second tier. The reason we are in this situation is because of the Cowleys.

You may be able to say it with a dismissive manner that "It's just a game of football" and in it's raw sense you are correct. However it's just a game of football to those that have no interest in the game. For me and I suspect virtually everyone else on here it is more than just a game of football, it's about passion, it's about identity, it's about friendship and it's about wanting the best for your club and the Cowleys are undoubtedly the best, the likes of which we will probably never see again.

So "It's just a game of football" not on this message board it's not!
Casper, I couldn't have put it better myself.
The fact we're on this forum, all the time, talking about the football but really, about LCFC, shows what it means emotionally to us all.
I suspect a fair few people on here as much family as it's possible to be without being related.
Most people who know me wouldn't exactly call me laid back but I'm pretty relaxed about most things. However, matchday brings out a whole new side to me. Talkabout feeling alive, all because we follow a bunch of people most of us will never meet, but it's electric and we don't ever want it to end.
They'll go at some point as we know but I really hope it's not just yet.
If finding a replacement for DC & NC is easy, why don't Sheffield sign them?

On a selfish note, I don't want them leave - ever!

However, I'm so grateful for what they've done for our club, they deserve to hit the big time with a big pay packet and I would like to see them achieve that goal.

We all know they're going to move on sooner or later, but I don't think now is the right time. Although obviously it's not my choice - it's theirs!

If they get us into the Championship at the end of this season, then I think that is our "journey" complete and they'll move on. We'll always be a small club and realistically I think that is the highest level in which we can compete. If we don't achieve promotion will they stick around and have another stab at it? I'm not sure

Also, I think they need to complete this season with the Imps to prove to the rest of the football world that they can compete at this level. Although we've had a great start we've actually just lost 4 of the last 5 games. They've just strengthened the squad to help see us through - this season is still very much a work in progress

We've got a great board of directors and I'm sure they're preparing for the day when Danny & Nicky leave and I wouldn't be surprised if the boys are part of that contingency planning. The trouble with bringing in someone new is they tend to tear things up and start again, so I wonder if they'll appoint from within to try and maintain consistency? McCombe & Frecks perhaps??

Whichever way this goes I think there is a strong possibility that this could be their last season with us. One more at the most
Good balanced post.

The worrying thing about appointing a new manager 'from within' when the Cowleys do leave (whether now or later) is that City's track record hasn't been great when doing that.

I'm thinking of course of George Kerr after Graham Taylor in 1977 and John Pickering after Colin Murphy in 1985. In both cases it set us on the road to relegation.

DC and NC may feel a sense of responsibility to the ten players they have just signed.. and also have real belief he can get promoted this season... coupled with the financial irregularities cloud hanging over SW. All is not lost yet. If i were them id definitely stay?

The worrying thing about appointing a new manager 'from within' when the Cowleys do leave (whether now or later) is that City's track record hasn't been great when doing that.

I'm thinking of course of George Kerr after Graham Taylor in 1977 and John Pickering after Colin Murphy in 1985. In both cases it set us on the road to relegation.

Add Peter Daniel to that list as well. Internal promotion wouldn't work unless the brothers split and Nicky remains with us. That's not happening though