Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm

Grealish is heavily targeted often in a thuggish manner by teams regardless of what division we play in and yet those under instructions to do this by other managers seem to often get away it?

I thought the Spanish La Liga was bad for divers and screaming out after been shoot from the stand but having seen and heard Premier League games this season then this league is far worse for cheats, incompetent officials and the incompetent, British Var officials who go out of their way to protect a British referee at the expense of common sense and being honest.

The game as we now know it is corrupt (both on and off the pitch) and one day it will all implode.

Last edited:
Yes we need to get rid of this narrative that Super Jack dives.

We had but this clown of a ref obviously hasn't read it. Could see he was anti-Grealish form the bookings he made first half. I knew what was coming and was fortunate enough to be able to go and play with the dog instead of winding myself up watching it happen

I think that's the first time Grealish has ever been booked for diving ?
He definitely has, I think he once he even got sent off for it, this was a few years ago though. Must have picked one or two others at some point. He does go down a bit easy but I don’t think he “dives”, certainly more recently I think he’s made more of an effort to stay on his feet as per yesterday when he stays up to play in a great assist

And yet we should have had a point away from home despite having 10 men for 35 minutes.

Fine lines isn't it.

Performance wise is again a concern, but can it gel eventually and we just need to be patient?

Again my worry is the lack of intensity in our play, every game needs to be a cup final and we were very fluffy yesterday.
I do think unless we have a Kante or Makelele as our DM we will struggle just playing 1 in there, far too easy to get into the lines against us.

We are trying to play the same way as Championship and it won`t work IMO.

He needs to change the system in this league but I think he’s too bloody stubborn to do so.

We look better with two upfront and with Houlahan and Lansbury on the pitch yesterday and that’s with 10 men

Like many others Jack goes down to easily. He should have a look at what Best had to put up with and still stay upright. McGinn stays up as well.

He definitely has, I think he once he even got sent off for it, this was a few years ago though. Must have picked one or two others at some point. He does go down a bit easy but I don’t think he “dives”, certainly more recently I think he’s made more of an effort to stay on his feet as per yesterday when he stays up to play in a great assist

David-avfc if I remember correctly I think he has had only one warning for what the ref thought was a dive but replays showed afterwards it was a foul .
For me the last two seasons he has tried to stay on his feet but teams in the championship just kick f**k out of him because he showed them up if they didn't .
Would like to know what game he was sent off for diving .

Like many others Jack goes down to easily. He should have a look at what Best had to put up with and still stay upright. McGinn stays up as well.[/QUOTE
What you say is correct Jack goes down like others when fouled.
The difference to Besties time in the game is that players didnt go down. It just wasnt done back in the sixties and seventies and if George went down every time he was fouled the game would have lasted all day. The fouls back then were very obvious kick em in the air type fouls and sendings of only happened as a result of throwing a punch or a really brutal tackle.
The stuff Grealish and others get nowadays is sneaky stuff, more subtle but still disrupts the passage of play.

Last edited:
David-avfc if I remember correctly I think he has had only one warning for what the ref thought was a dive but replays showed afterwards it was a foul .
For me the last two seasons he has tried to stay on his feet but teams in the championship just kick f**k out of him because he showed them up if they didn't .
Would like to know what game he was sent off for diving .
Against Baggies 2015 FACup game Villa Park I think. But debatable.

Grealish has now got a reputation with refs for going down too easily or theatrically, it's working against us. Several times already this season he's been clattered and the refs waved play on.
What we can't do is feel sorry for ourselves we need to roll our sleeves up and crack on.

He doesnt dive, he does draw fouls and goes over with the contact - there is a big difference. Every team in the PL has a few players who do the same thing. He's certainly no worse than the likes of Zaha, Salah, Kane or Sterling for it

Luiz, Hourihane, Makamba. Who plays with McGinn and Grealish. Could Grealish fill in for Trezeguet and play all of em? I’d like to see Grealish play further forward. Not much width I suppose with Jota the only other option wide

Luiz, Hourihane, Makamba. Who plays with McGinn and Grealish. Could Grealish fill in for Trezeguet and play all of em? I’d like to see Grealish play further forward. Not much width I suppose with Jota the only other option wide

I'd be interested to see all five of them with Big Wes up top. Only problem is we lose our pace on the counter without Trez and El Ghazi

He needs to change the system in this league but I think he’s too bloody stubborn to do so.

We look better with two upfront and with Houlahan and Lansbury on the pitch yesterday and that’s with 10 men

You know him personally to say he is stubborn?

We looked better last week against Everton in the whole game without Lansbury and Hourihane playing.

Too early to start blaming DS's lineups. He has a difficult task in integrating several new players in the PL. Performances are likely to be variable for some time. Look at the variation so far:

Spurs: a solid performance until we ran out of legs, which tends to happen against Spurs

Bournemouth: a very shaky start cost us, otherwise a decent performance even if we couldn't quite claw things back

Everton: a very good performance, against a very good but below par team

Palace: started OK, maybe we underestimated them because they took over, it still took a debatable red card and a diabolical disallowed goal to lose the points.

A plus from the Palace game; I thought we reacted to the red card very well.