Aston Villa v Everton Match Thread - Official Innit | Page 29 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Everton Match Thread - Official Innit

Really wish I could have been there, the atmosphere looked like it was up there with the play off semi final! I've been crying out for ages to get Guilbert in the team after his impressive pre-season and he showed his class against the Toffees. Absolutely rapid but he doesn't just run blindly in a straight line, his movement is very intelligent. For me he's an absolute shoe in for the RB berth now.

Wesley is starting to get to grips with the rough and tumble of the English game. Gave both Keane and Mina a torrid time and again his movement was very clever at times especially for the goal.

Jota is also a player I never thought would cut it in the Prem as a serious first team choice but boy has he proved me wrong! Ironically I think this division suits him so much more than The Championship as he can express himself much more freely and is working with players who are making much more intelligent runs for him (see Wesley's goal and second chance).

All in all I'm absolutely chuffed. I feared Villa would get found out at this level but I'm so glad to be wrong. This is our level. We are Premier League! We are Aston Villa!

For those of you who couldn't attend for various reasons (including me) - here is a good match-day experience from 2 Villa fans working together:clap::utv:

Last edited:
I've been crying out for ages to get Guilbert in the team after his impressive pre-season and he showed his class against the Toffees.

All in all I'm absolutely chuffed. I feared Villa would get found out at this level but I'm so glad to be wrong. This is our level. We are Premier League! We are Aston Villa!

There are elements of contradiction in what I'll say but my opinion is Deano isn't rushing to introduce anyone who isn't fully up to speed with how we want to play. He made a specific comment about how we don't play sideways passing in our own half essentially blaming Trez for the goal we conceded which Douglas was also involved in.

For me its why Taylor is keeping his place I am guessing Targett has old habits plus settling in issues and Taylor hasnt really done too much wrong.

It's also interesting that Deano changed the entire wing not just added in a fullback, Jota started on the right too. Now that Deano actually has some real options it'll be very interesting because we don't know if it was a tactical move or purely performance based.

So, with all the 3rd round results in, for our great win there's bad news and good news:

BAD news: we've only moved up 1 place, to 16th.

GOOD news: we're only 2 points off 4th place.

Take your pick :grinning:

Think it's an indication of how tight this season is going to be. Palace next weekend is a test; a win would be massive.

So, with all the 3rd round results in, for our great win there's bad news and good news:

BAD news: we've only moved up 1 place, to 16th.

GOOD news: we're only 2 points off 4th place.

Take your pick :grinning:

Think it's an indication of how tight this season is going to be. Palace next weekend is a test; a win would be massive.

As you say we are two points off fourth, but only one point off Manure in 5th.

I notice that some of the negative posters have not been on here so much after Friday. That is not to say, that there is still massive room for improvement, but to write Wesley off after 2 games in a new league was so wrong by some individuals.

Jota was immense, but he and Guilbert need to work better defensively as we could be exposed down the right.

When we bought Engels, I thought why are we buying another CB when we had bought Konza, House and Mings and had Chester as well. How wrong could I be because he is turning into a top-level PL player.

Until we establish ourselves as a top 6 club, we are going to lose players to the top 6 and CL teams abroad, but I feel that the plan is in place to operate with that model signing players who can be developed to replace those who leave to further their ambitions.

This could be an interesting season

There are elements of contradiction in what I'll say but my opinion is Deano isn't rushing to introduce anyone who isn't fully up to speed with how we want to play. He made a specific comment about how we don't play sideways passing in our own half essentially blaming Trez for the goal we conceded which Douglas was also involved in.

For me its why Taylor is keeping his place I am guessing Targett has old habits plus settling in issues and Taylor hasnt really done too much wrong.

It's also interesting that Deano changed the entire wing not just added in a fullback, Jota started on the right too. Now that Deano actually has some real options it'll be very interesting because we don't know if it was a tactical move or purely performance based.
I think Deano will be constantly changing the team depending on whether we are home or away or based on his perception of weaknesses in the opposition

I think he is so attack minded that we are going to get caught out at least once a game and Engels is going to have to cover that space. Still, it's a price worth paying. The pace of the lad is unreal and his puppy dog enthusiasm for going forward is infectious. I had to laugh when he got caught offside yesterday. I think he was offside (but not interfering with play) for Wesley's goal too.

He was out of position for Everton's attack around the 20 minute mark. They basically got a free hit down the right and couldn't do anything with it. Then we went up the other end and scored (Guilbert played a big part in that too).

I can imagine Terry & Smith having a point of, er, "conversation" about him lol

He was playing more like an inside-right than a right back on Friday :)

When we do start making waves in the PL, the top six teams are going to look to cherry pick our best players. I'm just hoping that we can 'do a Spurs' and make sure that we are getting top dollar should we choose to let our players leave.

The last time, under Randy, we weren't able to keep our best players or replace them with something better. I'm hoping this time will be different.

I'm actually OK with that - though it won't require us to makes waves, just for us to have one or two outstanding players that are obviously much better than whatever our prevailing position in the league is at the time.

£50m+ is hard to turn down if DS thinks he can get 2-3 other players in to boost the first team/squad by offing a single player.

In contrast Spurs have won diddly squat, Is finishing fourth now equivalent of winning a trophy

A financial trophy, yes. I don't think many people care about actual trophies that much anymore tbh.

I'm actually OK with that - though it won't require us to makes waves, just for us to have one or two outstanding players that are obviously much better than whatever our prevailing position in the league is at the time.

£50m+ is hard to turn down if DS thinks he can get 2-3 other players in to boost the first team/squad by offing a single player.

Mings may end up costing us £26.5m, and he wasn't a proven PL player. We may need to spend £30m+ in future to get in the quality we need. £50m for one of our top players isn't enough.

It was so important to get off the mark. Another loss could have destroyed the spirit amongst our players but the win will surely give them the confidence to go on to beat palace. Zaha could be missing as they are expecting a bid for him from the continent.

This league will be tough for a lot of teams and 39 points will probably be enough, 11wins and 6 draws should do it, 21 defeats no problem. ?

agreed, his movement on and off the ball was very impressive. His run for Grealish's quick free kick* was great, that led to the pass to Jota, sublime pass from him to Wesley and the rest is history. Oh and a great run by Wesley to be in that space.

*Lovely to see Jack not rolling about or moaning to the ref after a foul. He did what I used to LOVE about him. Got straight up, took a quick free kick and it resulted in a goal. Take note young Jack, more of that please !
Freddie looked the part on Friday but l have learned not to decide on a player till I've seen him a few times. On the night,he looked a class act. Worry would be jotas total lack of positional sense. Fortunately Everton didn't suss it but future opponents may. But great night and loved sweet Caroline ( wife will kill me if she finds out)

We need 32 wins and 4 draws. The 2 losses and 1 of the wins we've already had. That should get us to where we should be. No pressure, Dean.

Mings may end up costing us £26.5m, and he wasn't a proven PL player. We may need to spend £30m+ in future to get in the quality we need. £50m for one of our top players isn't enough.

It's early days yet McParland but there is the makings of a useful squad there. The next 12 games will really start to tell us if we've brought in some duds or not but with our performances have some promise. I think as the understanding between the players improve so will our ability to keep the ball and not rely so much on countering our more established opponents.

Anyway what I am getting at is if we've managed to buy well and integrate well then splashing 30MM here and there is doable. Also assuming the squad as a whole does do well we can demand much more as we will be succeeding and we can afford to freeze out players.

Way too early to tell of course.

It's early days yet McParland but there is the makings of a useful squad there. The next 12 games will really start to tell us if we've brought in some duds or not but with our performances have some promise. I think as the understanding between the players improve so will our ability to keep the ball and not rely so much on countering our more established opponents.

Anyway what I am getting at is if we've managed to buy well and integrate well then splashing 30MM here and there is doable. Also assuming the squad as a whole does do well we can demand much more as we will be succeeding and we can afford to freeze out players.

Way too early to tell of course.

Dear God, not that shit again!