Charlton game thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

Charlton game thread

Looks a different player to the one who left. Massively impressed with him.

As a Worrall skeptic he is winning me over rapidly and I'll be very happy if I prove to have been totally wrong
Yes very impressive really starting to look the real thing long may it continue

BBC sport:

"Lee Bowyer's Charlton were fortunate not to concede a penalty with 20 minutes remaining, as Sammy Ameobi was taken out with a challenge that appeared to be just inside the area but it instead resulted in a free-kick outside the box".

In a parallel universe, we got a free kick on the edge of the box for that challenge...

Grabban would have missed it anyway.

Weird game. First half the Midfield were terrible for us - never really offered an outlet for our defenders and when they did get it, it was either miscontrolled or the pass was poor. Semedo, Silva and Ameobi were really poor, whilst Watson wasn’t in the game enough to do anything.

With that being said, I couldn’t help but admire Charlton - I thought they were absolute class in that first half. Slick, concise passing and always forward. They also had players comfortable on the ball, making runs and aiming to beat a man. We of course contributed to that by being slow and showing a lack of authority, but they were good!

Second half was much better, they were never going to be able to continue that level of performance - it just doesn’t happen in this league and we managed to find a few gaps, which whilst didn’t mean we created anything, at least tipped the balance of play.

Bostock came on, added an air of calm and created space. I thought Worrall and Dawson were absolutely outstanding - not a foot wrong! Great partnership they’re making and have confidence to those infront of them second half.

Also a big fan of Jenkinson - get up and down the pitch and clearly offers us an outlet on that right side.

My concern actually is Grabban. He’s a great poacher no doubt, but honestly he just isn’t a threat anywhere out side the penalty area. He’s too slow and when we broke with him and Mir, you knew there was no danger of Grabban scoring. He clearly doesn’t possess that magic that you need sometimes to produce something a bit more special. Don’t get me wrong, he gets us goals and I’m not saying he’s no good or isn’t of use, but we’re in dire need of a pacey, more skillful option upfront if chances are rare - someone who latches on to a lose ball and beats a man and finishes from 20 yards - Grabban just can’t do that, which means unless we create something clear cut for the last man, he aren’t scoring.

Overall, we were pretty average but positive for me is that we look a great defensive unit and once (hopefully) the manager realizes that Bostock is a better option than Watson and we link the attacking mids with Grabban, when carvalho is back, we might be decent. We actually play quite nice football - it just requires more understanding, getting closer to Grabban and a tad more pace. Let’s see how we go over September I say!

Semedo was poor. Both he and Silva kept giving the ball away. Silva in particular has a bad knack of giving the ball away in dangerous areas.

Louchi said lolley much better today . Lolley and sow will improve this side for sure.

I recall people slagging off Karanka this time last year about our draws. It was pointed out then that Leicester went up the same way, playing at times awful football (they were demanding the manager was sacked) and grinding out draws. Karanka picked it up and the wins started to come and importantly to many of us, the performances improved. So far, I am more impressed than this time last year. A good result tonight and despite a shit first half, we improved and got a result, and possibly robbed of a win as pen and Silvas late effort could have made it 3-1.

Or they were they sloppy and didn't take advantage of us being total bobbins first half, 2nd they were lucky the ref decided to not give the penalty. Draw probably a fair result, we can't play like that 1st half Saturday or we may get slapped about.

Did we grind it out though Apollyon? If Charlton had taken their chances first half, we'd have been buried.
We improved second half, but let's be honest, we got lucky.
Not really.

They had three shots on target all game

One chance was a fluke direct from a corner. Another was a flick on that fell kindly and then their player had a nice bit of skill. Their goal was a gift, it was given away so easily.

Lots of possession but not much more than that.

They got away with just as much. Grabban in the first half, the penalty, Silva... Grabban's chance was as good, if not better, than any chance they had

Odd game, they should of run away with it in the first 30 with some lovely football but we hung in there - in large part due to Dawson and a very good Worrall. Our midfield was awful, Watson, Cash and Ameobi poor and Semedo a complete passenger.

Second half they fizzled out and we gradually grew into the game without ever being threatening.

Odd decision to reorganise their team at a corner but we'll take it, especially as it looked like we should have had a penalty. Not seen a replay though so could be wrong.

Much better second half, glimpse of understanding between Grabban and Mir, and Silva might have won it at the death.

Some strange decisions by the ref second half, all against us, including a decent penalty shout ignored.

Another decent away point against a side flying high and much more used to each other's company. We're still at the introductions stage.

Only a grudging agreement from me. Appalling first half and too little too late 2nd half, we had the ability to win but didnt.

Fair play to muric, his saves kept us in it

No doubt i will feel a bit more positive when ive slept on it but tonight was frustrating imo

Odd game, they should of run away with it in the first 30 with some lovely football but we hung in there - in large part due to Dawson and a very good Worrall. Our midfield was awful, Watson, Cash and Ameobi poor and Semedo a complete passenger.

Second half they fizzled out and we gradually grew into the game without ever being threatening.

Odd decision to reorganise their team at a corner but we'll take it, especially as it looked like we should have had a penalty. Not seen a replay though so could be wrong.

Sounded like we had 2 decent penalty shouts

I take that, good second half from the reds..we were the better team in that second half. Charlton couldn't keep the tempo of the first half, they spent everything in it ... at the end if there was a team that could have won the game it was us, not that we deserve the three points but how the second half panned out...we could have easily got the three points... probably Saturdsy its gonna be a diffe

Did we grind it out though Apollyon? If Charlton had taken their chances first half, we'd have been buried.
We improved second half, but let's be honest, we got lucky.

I don't think we did , we were the dominant side second half after a dreadful opening 45.
We ended up having more efforts at goal and as blatant a penalty and red card as you'll see not go in our favour.....again.
Fair result.