Ashes Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

Ashes Thread

Our lads seem incapable of removing themselves from T20/50 over mode. The Aussies seem able to do both almost seamlessly.

That's exactly what Geoff Boycott reckons. Bairstow, he says, tries to score off every ball and needs to rein it in, while Roy and Buttler don't have the Test match temperament needed, ie. patience.

The pitch was like a feather-bed yesterday. today is a minefield. Wonder how that can be

That's exactly what Geoff Boycott reckons. Bairstow, he says, tries to score off every ball and needs to rein it in, while Roy and Buttler don't have the Test match temperament needed, ie. patience.
After today Roy should never play a test match again. No problem with trying to score runs, but you don't get bowled giving it the charge down the track when you need to bat all day to save the game, especially the 'kin opener!

Fortress Edgbaston. You know you are in for a kicking when you put that hashtag on the tickets.

No Trent Bridge test this year, shame, so I trundled to Edgbaston for my first visit there yesterday. I didn't like the ground. The seats were very uncomfortable, and it was not a patch on Trenters, which is a much nicer ground and seriously gives Lords a run for its money.

If you have a team 122-8, in their first innings and lose by 251 runs....you have to ask yourselves some serious questions. 0-5 , if the weather holds.

If you have a team 122-8, in their first innings and lose by 251 runs....you have to ask yourselves some serious questions. 0-5 , if the weather holds.

I'll file it away, who knows, you may be right. But honestly, how much difference is there between those sides? Smith?

England were hobbled by Anderson being injured so early on. At 122-8 they could well have been dismissed for less than 150 with him back on and then the England first innnings, and lead, could have taken a very different course. We shall never know, but it was unfortunate to pick five bowlers and then find out you're missing your best one.

I'll file it away, who knows, you may be right. But honestly, how much difference is there between those sides? Smith?

England were hobbled by Anderson being injured so early on. At 122-8 they could well have been dismissed for less than 150 with him back on and then the England first innnings, and lead, could have taken a very different course. We shall never know, but it was unfortunate to pick five bowlers and then find out you're missing your best one.
Agree with all this, and we even had a second chance to put them under when 280-4....... but it's water under the bridge now. With 5 games is 6 weeks the momentum is most definitely with Oz and it will be difficult to recover.

No way should Roy play again . You dont give your wicket away when trying to save a game. Terrible.

Root as captain ????? Debatable

Ali ..... taxi please.

Apart from the that the better side won this match. 4 to go

I’m furious with these white ball cricketers. Didn’t deserve their match fee. Total tosh. FFS learn to build a score. Lesson learnt , Moeen out and Leach in. Lyons took 6 today with ease and Moeen can’t bowl or bat at the moment. Confidence shot. Is Jofra fit or not? Need him and Leach in.

Imho root gave up yesterday by bowling denly and himself cos he hadn't a clue how to get Smith out, not a captain just a batsman and it's certainly affecting his batting gone downhill since he took over.
The middle order all need dropping bar Stokes, drop Roy and bring back jennings? Jeez!
Smith is clearly a great player but lacks commonsense anyone agrees to anything David Warner comes up with to get wickets the really is a fool. Very uncomfortable with easily how the media and the Aussies have forgiven this trio for blatant cheating.
Time for England to try and get out of one day mode as with every test it becomes a bigger problem when trying to save tests, years since we've done it.

Me too
Win the world cup granted in a different format but people will quickly lose interest especially the new converts with abject capitulations like that.
How much were tickets for days 1 to 4? £100? To watch them give up? You're having a laugh! Any England fans who went today should get a refund or yesterday for that matter as they behaved like spoilt kids we can't get Smith so we're not playing!
I went to Trent Bridge against south Africa and the batting was very similar to today, they can't dig in for a draw anymore, pathetic

Personally I disagree regarding Roy, how had Smith played Ali, Root & Denley all game, either by playing on the back foot late or coming down the wicket and manoeuvring the ball for a single, IMO this was what Roy was trying to do.

There are two differences between the sides,Smith who is again batting on a different planet and Lyon.

The Aussie have the hold over Ali in all departments I was amazed he managed to score 4 or whatever today, and his bowling isn’t good enough, for me Leach has to start at Lords.

Butler I think has only one test century to his name and looked likely to get out at any time in this match same with Denley.

Big difference in this to the one day game.

Obviously the moment Anderson got injured was going to create a big work load for the others and it was interesting that Woakes didn’t bowl at all in yesterday’s morning session and only bowled 16 overs, hope he isn’t carrying a niggle.

The big problem is who do you bring in for them ? If they are better than the replacements you are a little bit stuck.

Imho root gave up yesterday by bowling denly and himself cos he hadn't a clue how to get Smith out, not a captain just a batsman and it's certainly affecting his batting gone downhill since he took over.
The middle order all need dropping bar Stokes, drop Roy and bring back jennings? Jeez!
Smith is clearly a great player but lacks commonsense anyone agrees to anything David Warner comes up with to get wickets the really is a fool. Very uncomfortable with easily how the media and the Aussies have forgiven this trio for blatant cheating.
Time for England to try and get out of one day mode as with every test it becomes a bigger problem when trying to save tests, years since we've done it.

I wish we had a fool who lacks common sense, who could have knocked off 286 runs in two innings. I don't get why people are still hung up on 'sandpaper gate'. They've served their their time and then some considering the severity of the actual offence. What about when Mike Atherton had a pocket full of dust that he kept rubbing into the ball all those years ago, players 'accidentally' standing on the ball, and all the other little things that go on in order to try and create an advantage?

And are you really advocating the return of Keaton Jennings as opener? Since his 146no against Sri Lanka in November last year, he has scored 103 from his last eight innings, against SL and the Windies. Take that match at Galle from his record (he also scored 46 in the first innings), plus his 112 against India on debut, and he has a pretty poor record for England – no scores over 50 in 18 previous innings prior to his 146.

Roy would be better served going in lower down the order when he would get more of a chance to play his natural game – should not be opening.

Me too
Win the world cup granted in a different format but people will quickly lose interest especially the new converts with abject capitulations like that.
How much were tickets for days 1 to 4? £100? To watch them give up? You're having a laugh! Any England fans who went today should get a refund or yesterday for that matter as they behaved like spoilt kids we can't get Smith so we're not playing!
I went to Trent Bridge against south Africa and the batting was very similar to today, they can't dig in for a draw anymore, pathetic

I went to the game against SA when they lost the 10 wickets by 3pm, pretty much the same as today. As I recall SA bowled really well only Bairstow gave his wicket away that day. Chris’s Morris got Root and Cook with a couple of brilliant delivery’s, some times if the opposition is better than you I think you have to hold your hands up when the last wicket goes down.

I wish we had a fool who lacks common sense, who could have knocked off 286 runs in two innings. I don't get why people are still hung up on 'sandpaper gate'. They've served their their time and then some considering the severity of the actual offence. What about when Mike Atherton had a pocket full of dust that he kept rubbing into the ball all those years ago, players 'accidentally' standing on the ball, and all the other little things that go on in order to try and create an advantage?

And are you really advocating the return of Keaton Jennings as opener? Since his 146no against Sri Lanka in November last year, he has scored 103 from his last eight innings, against SL and the Windies. Take that match at Galle from his record (he also scored 46 in the first innings), plus his 112 against India on debut, and he has a pretty poor record for England – no scores over 50 in 18 previous innings prior to his 146.

Roy would be better served going in lower down the order when he would get more of a chance to play his natural game – should not be opening.
I don't want Jennings back, awful player.
Atherton is just as bad got very lightly too. Old boys network
Cycling got it right banned Armstrong for good and took his titles off him too.

You've put your finger on it there - now Cook's retired the only decent batsman we've got for the top five is Root. Although I suppose following Burns's century we'll have to wait and see on him. But otherwise it's been a catalogue of failures over the last few years - Vince, Malan, Jennings, Ballance, Compton, Hales, Lyth, etc, etc.

Smith lacks common sense ?? Dont agree at all . Brilliant batsman who had a lot of sense on the field of play. No Pommies can come close to him .
The english is just not good enough . Changes required.

I think Mitchell Starc will play next game because of the slope at Lords.

Different game all together .

Thank God Aussie wernt playing the Proteas . That shower of shit would have lost in two days.

I don't want Jennings back, awful player.
Atherton is just as bad got very lightly too. Old boys network
Cycling got it right banned Armstrong for good and took his titles off him too.

Agree about Armstrong, but he was constantly cheating over a number of years and vehemently denied all the accusations that came his way, and was a complete arsehole about it, wrecking several careers of people who dared call him out. He should have been banished to a hole never to return. At least the Aussie lads admitted it and it was mere chickenfeed to what Armstrong did.