Bit of Brexit info required. | Page 242 | Vital Football

Bit of Brexit info required.

The Tories are led by remainers May, Hammond, Lidington. They have come up with a Tory BRINO. We May end up with a Labour BRINO instead. Labour are led by A leaver (JC), but I wouldn't have said any of the others are, though I'm no expert on them.

TM said over one hundred times that No Deal was preferable to a bad deal, but when it was time to put her cards on the table she obviously didn't mean it.

The main two parties have to be SEEN to honour the referendum, because that's what they said in their manifesto's. They don't WANT to honour the referendum.

When it comes to the MEP vote surely you only need one policy? If Brexit happens, no more EU policies are needed, and there won't be any MEPs anyhow.

Interesting stats on the local elections (though before the final results).

Tories have lost over 1,200 seats but have still got more seats than Labour and the Liberals put together! (May change by the final results).

When it comes to the MEP vote surely you only need one policy?
I disagree.
We are quite likely to be in a position where we are in the EU and our interests are represented by a party with no policies, an unelected leader, and undisclosed funding. That will almost certainly happen for a white at least. Is that what you wanted when you voted to take back control? Because it sounds pretty dreadful to me.

I disagree.
We are quite likely to be in a position where we are in the EU and our interests are represented by a party with no policies, an unelected leader, and undisclosed funding. That will almost certainly happen for a white at least. Is that what you wanted when you voted to take back control? Because it sounds pretty dreadful to me.

We shouldn't be in the EU though. Also we have already seen that if we voted in 73 UK MEPs from any one party it would make no difference. What are the Labour and Conservative policies for the EU vote. Are they coming up with loads of policies despite the fact they don't even want the vote!?

We shouldn't be in the EU though. Also we have already seen that if we voted in 73 UK MEPs from any one party it would make no difference. What are the Labour and Conservative policies for the EU vote. Are they coming up with loads of policies despite the fact they don't even want the vote!?

Actually neither of them have said a word.

May is desperate for jezza to dip his hands in the blood and do a deal, avoid elections.

Jezza wants to make a deal but will destroy the Labour party if he does.

Can't read it.
Can you copy and paste?

Rather a long article, but to cut a long story short, with less than two weeks to go to the election Merkel and Macron are arguing about how the next EU leader will be selected. Under the Spitzenkandidat system the leader of the largest group (currently Juncker of the EPP) is selected as the leader of the EU. The leader of the EPP is someone called Manfred Weber, who is short of political experience and he doesn't speak French, so Macron doesn't want him. Macron wants Barnier, as he's French. Here's a bit of it-

Mr Macron can’t afford to be seen to be blocking a more democratic EU, so he has cast doubt on the strength of the candidates.

“We need the best leaders possible,” he said, and in a possible swipe at Mr Juncker added, “We must avoid a compromise to take the least good candidate, which has been the case sometimes before.”

He was supported by Xavier Bettel, the prime minister of Luxembourg, who said bluntly: “Ask my voters, they have no clue who’s the Spitzenkandidat.”

The man in theoretical pole position is EPP leader Manfred Weber, a little known German MEP with no government experience and who, in what would be unprecedented in the European Commission, does not speak French.

While the EPP is still expected to form the largest group, it will not have the thumping majority it enjoyed in 2014, weakening Mr Weber’s credentials. He warned the EPP would make itself “ridiculous” if it jettisoned him.

Mrs Merkel was emphatic and loyal to the EPP as ever. “I support Manfred Weber, to make this very clear,” she said before insisting the treaty basis for the system was established.

Thanks for that.
Looks like a little bit of a jump to "What little bit of pretence at democracy in the EU looks like it could be cast aside." but interesting nonetheless.

looks like labour are committed to a confirmatory referendum behind the scenes but won't tell anyone publically.

can see them getting hammered too. not sure where the remain vote goes anymore.

the trouble is that the remain vote is split between four and a half parties, which doesn't work too well and gives the false impression that Farage is a clear winner.

Always difficult to assess what people are voting for in any non-referendum. I read an article recently saying that 30% of the people who vote Liberal want to leave. I once read that 2% of UKIP wanted to remain (really don't understand that one!). How many people are voting for the Green Party because of the recent protests on climate change . A surprising number of people actually have no idea what some parties policies are on remain or leave ! And that excludes all the tory and labour voters, who have no idea what their parties policies on brexit are anyhow!

It's always seemed a bit mixed up to me but seems to have reached its peak now and if TM leaves it sounds like a real mess with no obvious ending.

So we had a vote on Thursday. I assume under EU legislation they're not allowed to say anything until the other polls close, as you normally get the exit poll "result" at five past ten. The silence on this one is almost like it never happened. I would guess the turnout will be quite poor, but who knows !

Off for another bit of European research tomorrow !