Reece James | Page 4 | Vital Football

Reece James

Haha, I must say, I find your love-hate relationship with MiW on here quite amusing!

Will S what you see is a happy Clapper ( Moonay) & a not so happy Clapper ( MiW)........always loving to hate - seriously tho good debates (at times) from most on here. Incase your wondering I err from happy Clapper to dark side in varying degrees - more commonly know as a chipy ( splinters on my arse from all the fence sitting I do). Where do you see yourself Will ?

Will S what you see is a happy Clapper ( Moonay) & a not so happy Clapper ( MiW)........always loving to hate - seriously tho good debates (at times) from most on here. Incase your wondering I err from happy Clapper to dark side in varying degrees - more commonly know as a chipy ( splinters on my arse from all the fence sitting I do). Where do you see yourself Will ?

I think I'm the same as you, Jock. This time last month I was calling for Cook to be sacked, but the last couple of games have convinced me that he has the respect of the players, and now I think we should stick with him. In other words, I've gone from 'doom monger' to 'happy clapper' in just one month's time!

I suppose that makes us fickle, and irresolute. Yet, the way I see it, these unexpected alterations of emotion, and vacillations in outlook and viewpoint, underpin the very essence of what football is all about. This sport can leave you feeling on top of the world one week, and miserable the next, but that's what's so great about it.

Either way, it's blatantly obvious that there are some on here who have a naturally more positive disposition than others, and vice versa. That's not a bad thing at all, though. In fact, it should be celebrated, because such variation in personality is exactly what makes forums like this interesting.

If I had to place myself somewhere, I'd say that I naturally tend to look more on the negative side of things regarding the Latics, and in general life, I guess. The most important thing for me, though, is that others are content. If this is the case, my own happiness will generally follow from there.

Last edited:
Though I agree with nearly all of the rest of your post KDZ, (Oh, and well done PC for seeing what Chelsea didn't re the RB vs midfield issue ?), but even disregarding Hindley mixing up his Macs, how on earth can you compare Reece (in the Championship) to Maloney, Valencia, Palacios, De Zeeuw, Camra, Valencia, Alcaraz, Boyce, Melchiot....... I think I've made my point.

He's great. He's brilliant. He'll absolutely go on to be the best......... but he's not there yet.

You can see the difference - like you could see Harry Maguire and likes of DeZeeuew and Baines were destined to be top Prem players when playing in the second and third teir. This lad is on another level.

Will, if you reckon you're a miserable bugger already, at your young age, God knows what you're gonna be like when you reach the age of the real Grumpy old Gits, MiW & C_Latic etc. ?

Go on Will !..... ‘irresolute’ and ‘vacillations’ in the same post ....both likely making their debuts on this message board...

A football fan in possession of a vocabulary.... I’m loving it !
(Totally serious by the way)

I like to think I’m a miserable bugger, but not as miserable as an Evertonian I used to work with.
A polite ripple of applause met one expressed view of him as
“His glass is neither half full nor half empty, but bone f*****g dry”

FFS...best 5 players ever. What a stinker. If you think about it our best 5 must surely coincide with us being at the highest level so that would exclude many great players like Johnny King, Johnny Roger's, Tommy Gore, Eamonn O'Keefe, Graeme Jones, Stuart Barlow, Roberto, Sir Andrew Liddle, the Duke etc.etc.etc.

We also had a curious habit of getting the best tune out of players who were then flogged for huge sums then disappeared.

Best 5 then...I'm going to omit the likes of Jason Roberts, Hugo, Big Emile who were all great.

Best..

Valencia..any list just has to have him.

James MacArthur ( get it right you pillock)...loved him to bits and he has gone on to have several years at the top..just loved him.

The Zog...just because he was the Zog.

Really hard choice between Shaun Maloney and Jordi Gomez and I'm going for Shaun because of the great goals against Newcastle and ManU.

Finally any list of mine has to involve a lad who may not quite have made it on ability alone but stands head and shoulders higher as a human being....the legend Boycie.

Special mentions for the most important goal in Watson and MOM Callum but that was a difficult selection.

Late edit...young Reece may indeed go on to eclipse the lot but I need to see him at the very highest level to include him in any top 5's.

Last edited:
I think I'm the same as you, Jock. This time last month I was calling for Cook to be sacked, but the last couple of games have convinced me that he has the respect of the players, and now I think we should stick with him. In other words, I've gone from 'doom monger' to 'happy clapper' in just one month's time!

I suppose that makes us fickle, and irresolute. Yet, the way I see it, these unexpected alterations of emotion, and vacillations in outlook and viewpoint, underpin the very essence of what football is all about. This sport can leave you feeling on top of the world one week, and miserable the next, but that's what's so great about it.

Either way, it's blatantly obvious that there are some on here who have a naturally more positive disposition than others, and vice versa. That's not a bad thing at all, though. In fact, it should be celebrated, because such variation in personality is exactly what makes forums like this interesting.

If I had to place myself somewhere, I'd say that I naturally tend to look more on the negative side of things regarding the Latics, and in general life, I guess. The most important thing for me, though, is that others are content. If this is the case, my own happiness will generally follow from there.

I think that sticking to your opinion for the sake of pride in the face of contradictory evidence is never a good thing. Changing your mind based on changing evidence isnt fickle it's logical. But in our society today people often care more about winning arguments than getting the right answer and some feel if you change your mind your we be mocked, called fickle or stupid while others feel they cant admit they changed their opinion for fear of those accusations. I don't think anyone should ever be critasised for evolving their opinion as new evidence comes to light (within reason). In fact i find it can be very respectable when people hold their hands up and say they got it wrong.

But what i would say is the last 2 games have been a huge change and improvement and we took a big step to safety but we've not gotten over the line yet. If we go back to sleep on Monday and get beat while Rotherham get 3 points against Birmingham we are back in the mix. So we can't count our chickens just yet. Also if this past 2 games were the standard we'd not have a debate on keeping the manager. But over the past 6 months it has been nothing remotley like that it's largely poor and the ratio of probably something like 1 good performance to 5 bad or so. It's easy to get swept up in the 2 most reccent games but you've got to judge on the whole - the last 2 have moved the dial for sure but have they moved it enough to outweigh the rest? At the moment id say no, but if the next 3 games match the performance and we stay up at a canter then I'd say it would.

Credit is due for the last two but if we turned up in so many games we didn't we would've comfortably been in mid table with no need for a great escape. Pulling off a great escape isn't as impressive when you look at how we got ourselves into this mess after such a good start. Lots of factors to consider.

Chelsea have rejected a £10m bid from Brighton for England Under-20 defender Reece James, 19, who has also been linked with Crystal Palace. (Sun)

Think they'd need to triple that offer before Chelsea would even look at it as a consideration and they'd still prob reject it.

Think they'd need to triple that offer before Chelsea would even look at it as a consideration and they'd still prob reject it.

It's all about development and he's catching no harm here with his progress and he looks happy...

But...Chelsea may want him testing in the premier on loan so who knows ?

This might just be me and it might be controversial but I never rated Valencia so highly. Don't get me wrong he was a bloody good player and he's had a fantastic career but I'd say he was good, not one of our greats.

He had some games where he was unplayable for us and scored some screamers but I always thought if he came up against a half decent full back they knew his left was for standing on, would show him down the line and snuff out his threat. Hence the reason Ferguson converted him to a full back.

Interesting comparing his career trajectory with Palacios who I thought was a class act and was being raved about when he went to Spurs but never seemed to recover after the tragic kidnapping and death of his brother.

FFS...best 5 players ever. What a stinker. If you think about it our best 5 must surely coincide with us being at the highest level so that would exclude many great players like Johnny King, Johnny Roger's, Tommy Gore, Eamonn O'Keefe, Graeme Jones, Stuart Barlow, Roberto, Sir Andrew Liddle, the Duke etc.etc.etc.

I won't argue with anyone on that best five Hindley.

As for the "favourites", besides the belters you've already named (didn't see the two Johnny's), it would have been great to see Col Methven, Pey Houghton, Sir Noel, Jeff Wright, and loads more at a higher standard.

When you look back, my, we've been blessed.