Reece James | Page 2 | Vital Football

Reece James

I questioned his ability to save low shots and deal with balls into the box last season. He was protected, due to us having the majority of the play. Reece has shown his ability in a side that has struggled.

As a fullback he has several things to improve before being ready to play consistently well at the top level. As a midfielder he is ready now. Exceptional talent, pace, power, battler, committed, work rate, composure, technical ability. He has it all, which for a player of his age is very rare. His best quality though is his mentality, level headed, whilst being a winner. He wants to win everything, every tackle, every game. Regardless of the result or the pattern of the play he wants to win every battle. He's going to become a top, top player.

Also compare him to McCarthy at the same age, he's better then him everywhere. Quicker, stronger and calmer with the ball. Better posture and work rate, better vision and he carry the ball forward.

He's improved a lot this season, was top heavy when he signed. His posture has improved, he has a very solid build now. His set pieces are becoming more dangerous each month.

Great summary he's better now than Mccarthy ever was by a million miles.

I think that's very harsh on James Mac vic....Reece has the potential to be a future England player but has yet to play 1 game in the premier....James has played consistently well in the top flight for years so to compare the 2 at this stage is way off.

I think that's very harsh on James Mac vic....Reece has the potential to be a future England player but has yet to play 1 game in the premier....James has played consistently well in the top flight for years so to compare the 2 at this stage is way off.

At the same age, 9 years ago. I fully believe Reece is significantly better in every area of the game. I also believe his is a better defensive midfielder right now, whilst being 9 years younger.

Your right he hasn't played a single premier league game, he didn't have any experience in the efl this season either.

Reece has more variety and several layers to his play style, McCarthy is a limited player. Whilst being a good player for us, i know which one i'd personally like to see play for us.

Remember McCarthy played for us in the championship briefly in 13-14, he didn't dominate the midfield the same way Reece does. Honestly feels like we sometimes have an extra man on the pitch when he's in that position.

At the same age, 9 years ago. I fully believe Reece is significantly better in every area of the game. I also believe his is a better defensive midfielder right now, whilst being 9 years younger.

Your right he hasn't played a single premier league game, he didn't have any experience in the efl this season either.

Reece has more variety and several layers to his play style, McCarthy is a limited player. Whilst being a good player for us, i know which one i'd personally like to see play for us.

Remember McCarthy played for us in the championship briefly in 13-14, he didn't dominate the midfield the same way Reece does. Honestly feels like we sometimes have an extra man on the pitch when he's in that position.

Nope disagree mate...James played in the 4-0 demolition of Birmingham in his last match. He gave a masterclass in that game and dominated from start to finish. Young Reece may go on to be a worldbeater but he hasn't yet faced top flight opponents.

Nope disagree mate...James played in the 4-0 demolition of Birmingham in his last match. He gave a masterclass in that game and dominated from start to finish. Young Reece may go on to be a worldbeater but he hasn't yet faced top flight opponents.

He played 5 times in the championship before leaving at the end of the transfer window.

(A)4-0 W Barnsley
(A)1-0 L Bournemouth.
(H)2-2 D Doncaster
(H)2-2 D Middlesbrough
(H)2-1 W Nottingham Forest

His final game was against Forest, maybe you mixed that game up with the Barnsley game. Was quite a long time ago. No goals or assists in the five games he played at this level, he was 3 months away from being 23 at the time.

I will say this, i have never seen a player with as many attributes as Reece has at his age. To also have the mentality, he will do well regardless of where he ends up playing next season. Has been excellent to watch him play this season.

I'm usually not keen on developing players for other clubs, when i feel we have similar standard players. But when they're next level i'm all for it. He has been outstanding in all aspects of representing our club this season.

He played 5 times in the championship before leaving at the end of the transfer window.

(A)4-0 W Barnsley
(A)1-0 L Bournemouth.
(H)2-2 D Doncaster
(H)2-2 D Middlesbrough
(H)2-1 W Nottingham Forest

His final game was against Forest, maybe you mixed that game up with the Barnsley game. Was quite a long time ago. No goals or assists in the five games he played at this level, he was 3 months away from being 23 at the time.

I will say this, i have never seen a player with as many attributes as Reece has at his age. To also have the mentality, he will do well regardless of where he ends up playing next season. Has been excellent to watch him play this season.

I'm usually not keen on developing players for other clubs, when i feel we have similar standard players. But when they're next level i'm all for it. He has been outstanding in all aspects of representing our club this season.

You're getting your James Mac's mixed up. I'm talking about Palace James.

If someone wanted to buy him what do you think he is worth in today's market

Hard question to answer because of the many variables. People will say he's over hyped at the moment and untested, lacking experience. Also it seem's he's undecided on the position he wants to play long term. When you look at a utility player like Connolly who's not very good in any position, James has done well in every position he's been asked to play.

The value that i would place on him would be very high for two reason's, his current ability is outstanding for his age and his potential is unlimited. I hope he decides to play defensive midfield, because he has no weaknesses in that role.

Hard question to answer because of the many variables. People will say he's over hyped at the moment and untested, lacking experience. Also it seem's he's undecided on the position he wants to play long term. When you look at a utility player like Connolly who's not very good in any position, James has done well in every position he's been asked to play.

The value that i would place on him would be very high for two reason's, his current ability is outstanding for his age and his potential is unlimited. I hope he decides to play defensive midfield, because he has no weaknesses in that role.

So what figure would you place on him now I would say 25 million at today's going rate

So what figure would you place on him now I would say 25 million at today's going rate

I was thinking the exact same amount, although i think he's worth more. But until his reputation has grown from playing at the highest level his value wont match his ability. If he was our player though i'd say 25m. Maddison at 21 went for 20m, whilst being an attacking creative midfielder. James is a dynamic creative defensive midfielder who also has the industry. Also only 19 years old.

I understand what you recently wrote above Hindley, but maybe i miss read your initial post. But i thought your response quoted above was in response to the comparison between McCarthy and Reece when they both 19.

I understand what you recently wrote above Hindley, but maybe i miss read your initial post. But i thought your response quoted above was in response to the comparison between McCarthy and Reece when they both 19.

No mate...probably me not being clear. I rated Palace James very highly but thought Everton James flattered to deceive at times.

In regards James value you have to consider his parent club. Buy from us you'll get him (relatively) cheap. His value as a Chelsea player will be much much higher. Probably a moot point as unless abramovich pulls the plug they won't be selling him. I think they'll loan him again next season to a prem club then after that he'll be a first team regular for them for the next decade.

If someone wanted to buy him what do you think he is worth in today's market

It's a tricky one as i guess value is dictated by what price someone is willing to pay and accept. But if i was Chelsea Id not consider selling at all as i think you will spend more in the long run trying to find another player like him.

If Reece was our player and tied down to a long term contract, I’d be absolutely livid if we sold him for anything less than 25 million up front and that’s not including add ons and sell ons. To be honest I’d be disappointed with 30 million. The kids going to the top and if Chelsea run with him he’ll never leave there unless a Madrid/Barca came along. If they don’t run with him and let someone else get him for 30 million then they’ll live to regret it.

In terms of a next step he should go on loan to a Palace where he plays every week unless Chelsea are actually willing to play him more than they have Hudson Odoi.

Alan McInally on Sky Sports News.." Sam Morsy has been absolutely superb "..
Took the words out my mouth Alan.

Cook, appears to have finally found the correct midfield combination...Morsy, James and Evans.
And if he had played that combination and it hadn't quite worked out like it has he would have been accused of being negative by playing three defensive midfielders.

In terms of a next step he should go on loan to a Palace where he plays every week unless Chelsea are actually willing to play him more than they have Hudson Odoi.

Interesting you use Palace as an example where they have (until the transfer window opens perhaps) one of the two main rivals to Reece going forward in Wan-Bissaka, the other being Alexander-Arnold at liverpool.

For what it's worth, I think Chelsea will loan him to a Premier league side next season as a right back and not a centre mid. As a right back, he might best fit west ham who are currently employing zabaleta between his denture visits. Azpilicueta isn't getting any younger and you would envisage that reece is the planned replacement long term, especially now the money seems to be drying up/embargo etc. He might play himself into midfield in the future but I think he's best starting in the Premier league in a postion he knows best. Steven gerrard started at right back!

Value wise, Chelsea said earlier this season during their Hudson-Odoi saga they wouldn't sell any of their starlets for less than 35mill. No one will pay that (although we all agree he's worth it long term) until hes more proven, So expect James to be a loanee for a few more seasons at least.