Reece James | Page 3 | Vital Football

Reece James

If Reese was our player he would go for less than ten million. If he was Forests or even Brentford's player you would be looking at twenty million. As a Chelski player more than that.

Interesting you use Palace as an example where they have (until the transfer window opens perhaps) one of the two main rivals to Reece going forward in Wan-Bissaka, the other being Alexander-Arnold at liverpool.

For what it's worth, I think Chelsea will loan him to a Premier league side next season as a right back and not a centre mid. As a right back, he might best fit west ham who are currently employing zabaleta between his denture visits. Azpilicueta isn't getting any younger and you would envisage that reece is the planned replacement long term, especially now the money seems to be drying up/embargo etc. He might play himself into midfield in the future but I think he's best starting in the Premier league in a postion he knows best. Steven gerrard started at right back!

Value wise, Chelsea said earlier this season during their Hudson-Odoi saga they wouldn't sell any of their starlets for less than 35mill. No one will pay that (although we all agree he's worth it long term) until hes more proven, So expect James to be a loanee for a few more seasons at least.
Wan Bissaka won’t be at Palace next season, he’s off to United or City. They’ll want James as his replacement. Burnley want him as well, he’d do well there also in the same way Trippier did and got his big move to Spurs.

At the same age, 9 years ago. I fully believe Reece is significantly better in every area of the game. I also believe his is a better defensive midfielder right now, whilst being 9 years younger.

Your right he hasn't played a single premier league game, he didn't have any experience in the efl this season either.

Reece has more variety and several layers to his play style, McCarthy is a limited player. Whilst being a good player for us, i know which one i'd personally like to see play for us.

Remember McCarthy played for us in the championship briefly in 13-14, he didn't dominate the midfield the same way Reece does. Honestly feels like we sometimes have an extra man on the pitch when he's in that position.

Vic...I've just read the whole thing again and you quite clearly state McCarthy and not MacArthur. It's me mate I'm going senile.

Anyone who's watched Latics for any length of time will agree James is unquestionably the best player to ever pull on a Latics shirt.......... .

Though I agree with nearly all of the rest of your post KDZ, (Oh, and well done PC for seeing what Chelsea didn't re the RB vs midfield issue ?), but even disregarding Hindley mixing up his Macs, how on earth can you compare Reece (in the Championship) to Maloney, Valencia, Palacios, De Zeeuw, Camra, Valencia, Alcaraz, Boyce, Melchiot....... I think I've made my point.

He's great. He's brilliant. He'll absolutely go on to be the best......... but he's not there yet.

Though I agree with nearly all of the rest of your post KDZ, (Oh, and well done PC for seeing what Chelsea didn't re the RB vs midfield issue ?), but even disregarding Hindley mixing up his Macs, how on earth can you compare Reece (in the Championship) to Maloney, Valencia, Palacios, De Zeeuw, Camra, Valencia, Alcaraz, Boyce, Melchiot....... I think I've made my point.

He's great. He's brilliant. He'll absolutely go on to be the best......... but he's not there yet.

I see what your saying but bare in mind this kid had never played a league game before this season, he has featured in 43 league games plays all over the pitch takes free kicks corners now penalties and to be truthfull the whole team revolves around him now. All the names you mention were legends true enough but if that team was playing today James would outshine them all he really is that good . A player like Reece comes around once in a lifetime I have watched football for over sixty years and seen them all if this lad is handled right he will be a superstar he really is that good.

Christ we agree on something!

Comparing and saying James is a better player than Valencia for example is an insult to Tony if I’m honest. He bossed it for us in the Premier League and went on to be signed by Sir Alex Ferguson. He’s been captain of arguably the biggest club in the world, played for them over 300 times, won Premier Leagues, League Cups an FA Cup and a Europa League, not to mention player of the year awards for United. 94 caps for his country as well. That is the career of a superstar!

To say James is unquestionably a better player than him like KDZ did is simply bollocks. He’ll have to go one hell of a long way to have a career like that, but I’m excited to see him try.

For the record if someone was to ask me the five best players I’ve ever seen in a Latics shirt I’d go...

Valencia
Palacios
N’Zogbia
Maloney
James

Zakky, I fully agree with what you say....... because you're talking in the future tense.

I think he's outstanding......... but so was Will Grigg in League 1 ?

I hope he goes on to match all our expectations,....... in fact, I think he will...... But let's keep a little perspective.
?

I"d like to add a bit more. The other lads you mention were legends to us but apart from Valencia and Palacios they were only average prem players. You don't need to see Reece in the prem you just know by watching him he will take it in his stride its frightening to think what he will be like at about 24-25. Players come and go but I'm sure this lad will never be forgotten at Wigan Athletic

Zakky, some of those average Prem players went to the World Cup.

Again, I say that I'm not arguing that he may indeed to go on to be the best ever....... But he's not there yet......... yet. ?

Subjective I know, but Maloney? Decent player, but hardly consistent.

As I say it's subjective and I havent given it any thought if James is or isn't. However from those names above I doubt if any of them were as consistently good at age 19 in their debut season. If they were we wouldn't have been able to sign them when we did.

I"d like to add a bit more. The other lads you mention were legends to us but apart from Valencia and Palacios they were only average prem players. You don't need to see Reece in the prem you just know by watching him he will take it in his stride its frightening to think what he will be like at about 24-25. Players come and go but I'm sure this lad will never be forgotten at Wigan Athletic
Can’t agree with you saying N’Zogbia was an average Prem player. He was to us what Zaha is to Palace today, (irreplaceable because without him they’d have gone down long ago due to the points he wins for them on his own). Charlie was a mercurial talent and incredible player. It really does hurt me that both him and Palacios didn’t go on to have the careers they should have had for whatever reasons. I just hope James’ future goes the way of Valencia and not of those two. Agree with you through that he will have no problems whatsoever in the Prem.

As for Maloney, it’s subjective yes. I can fully understand people not having him in their lists but for me injuries were the killer for him not his ability.
At his best he was far too good for us, it’s a shame we never saw it enough.

I’d like to know the lists of other people though? Always find it interesting to know who folk rated the most.

Yep fair point re Maloney MiW...... but when he was on it, bloody hell, he weren't half bad.

My key point is the standard. It's a level lower. I'm sure the lad will still be great in the Prem........ but its impossible for him to be our best ever player......... at this point.

Can’t agree with you saying N’Zogbia was an average Prem player. He was to us what Zaha is to Palace today, (irreplaceable because without him they’d have gone down long ago due to the points he wins for them on his own). Charlie was a mercurial talent and incredible player. It really does hurt me that both him and Palacios didn’t go on to have the careers they should have had for whatever reasons. I just hope James’ future goes the way of Valencia and not of those two. Agree with you through that he will have no problems whatsoever in the Prem.

As for Maloney, it’s subjective yes. I can fully understand people not having him in their lists but for me injuries were the killer for him not his ability.
At his best he was far too good for us, it’s a shame we never saw it enough.

I’d like to know the lists of other people though? Always find it interesting to know who folk rated the most.

Yes Charlie was an exceptional talent I agree but he tended to blow hot and cold, Shaun Maloney found his niche with us but I agree injuries did for him. We have been truly blessed in the last 15 years there can't be a club outside the big 6 who have had the excitement and emotional roller coaster that we have had

Yep fair point re Maloney MiW...... but when he was on it, bloody hell, he weren't half bad.

My key point is the standard. It's a level lower. I'm sure the lad will still be great in the Prem........ but its impossible for him to be our best ever player......... at this point.

Yes he was decent, but not consistently.

I get your point about the level. However this is a decent standard and not an easy league. Yet he's made his debut in it and has shone - consistently, week in week out. Man of the match most weeks and if he isnt he's a close second. Came in as a right back, was too good to play there and is now bossing the midfield. From all the reports I hear he's down to earth, no billy big bollocks, a team man with a first rate attitude. Barring serious injury the lad is going right to the top, of that I've little doubt. Is he our best? As I said it's subjective and your point about the level is a good one, but every single week this lad performs which for his age is remarkable really. (And I hope that's not a curse)

Surprised nobody's mentioned Leighton Baines yet. Near on 350 appearances in the Premier League spanning over a decade, tens of appearances for England including apps in the World Cup 2014. Captained his side in the Premier League, and played in Europe.

Fulyy agree there MiW........ but your key word was "going".

So chuffed that after our season (that started out great, then faltered to the point of implosion) is finishing on a bit of a love-in.

❤️