Cook needs to go! | Page 12 | Vital Football

Cook needs to go!

It's not as deep after the moral boosting win but since our momentum stopped we had won 5 in the previous 29 games and only had about 5 good performances too, we had the worst away record in the whole country and were averaging less than a point per game during that time while our 3 relegation rivals were averaging at least a point per game or better, had already overhauled a 7 point gap and game in hand we had 3 weeks ago. Our manager appeared to have lost the plot with his subs costing us games, we struggled to score and couldnt hold a lead if we managed to get one, we struggled to beat teams in bad form with injury crisises who were there for the taking while our rivals picked up crucial wins and new January signings had largely flopped - we looked like we were in free fall and the bottom 3 was inevitable. It was a deep crisis with our good start masking the fact that only Bolton had got fewer points than us since our early season momentum stalled and our form collapsed.

Yesterday doesn't really change any of the above but hopefully it's the start of a turn around and not a West Brom, Villa or Blackburn home games like false dawn where normal service resumed immediately after.
Really enjoyed yesterday (and last night ?) but one swallow and all that. If we can use this positive result into Brentford, win that then get something at Bristol we may have turned a corner
Concern yesterday for me was how little effort was put into stopping crosses coming in especially LHS which caught us out. Better teams tham Bolton will take advantage.
Hoping we manage to scrape over the line of course though still nowhere convinced Cook should be around to spend the war chest in summer.

Really enjoyed yesterday (and last night ?) but one swallow and all that. If we can use this positive result into Brentford, win that then get something at Bristol we may have turned a corner
Concern yesterday for me was how little effort was put into stopping crosses coming in especially LHS which caught us out. Better teams tham Bolton will take advantage.
Hoping we manage to scrape over the line of course though still nowhere convinced Cook should be around to spend the war chest in summer.

Where did you think we would finish at the start of the season?

Survival was the aim , if we stay up he has done his job no one can complain ..

I'd argue that survival was the minimum target, but we were probably aiming slightly higher than that.

The quest hasn't been helped by injuries (par for the course though) and the takeover (went on far too long), but the nature of the difference in performance in games throughout the season has been the cause of much frustration.

If we end up surviving (which I think we will), then most of us will (probably) be happy ......... though maybe slightly rueful of what might have been.

I have previously posted that the general consensus before the season started was that survival was what was required. Our brilliant start to the season clouded the views of some of us, and gave us false hope. We are were we were expected to be and despite what some are postulating we are not a mid table team that is struggling, the truth is we are a bottom end team that strung together some unexpected wins at the beginning of a long hard season, probably because established teams underestimated us. Survival was all that was asked of the manager and players and if that is delivered then they have done the job and the manager deserves the chance to take us forward. If there is no improvement in the early days of next season then that is the time to change. In my opinion of course, I am sure many others will have their own views on this and I respect those views.

How many swallows did you have, Hampton?

Last edited:
Definitely not pessimistic Moonay, quite the contrary. I think that survival is a step up from our last couple of forays into the Championship and am optimistic that we will achieve it.

5 wins in first 10 was obviously not going to be our true form and we knew momentum from previous season was temporary. So i dont think that inflated expectations much tbh especially as in that first ten there were a couple of iffy and stinking performances to balance out the very strong ones to keep everyone from getting carried away.

But the following 5 wins in 30 and the overall performances during that 6 months was way below reasonable expectations - even without a good start no one would be happy with the vast majority of what we got in that spell. No one ever realistically expected the 50% win ratio to keep going but the drop down to 17% in the following block of 30 matches was a massive under performance compared to what we had every right to expected. The league has been incredibly weak overall and top end of bottom half with something more like 8 to 10 wins the 6 months gone was probably what most people expected and could / should've been achieved.

I dont think the frustration was down to expectations ever being unrealistic just failing to meet our realistc expectation.

Of course there's bad luck and injuries but even with those you look back at how we performed in so many games and no one can say we couldn't have done better - we've not done ourselves justice overall.

Last edited:
If the scale of expectation / ambition was to end up in a relegation scrap with Rotherham and finish below Blackburn then you're easily pleased.
One great win and it's rose tinted heaven

not at all old chum I do notice with the tinted glasses that traffic as slowed somewhat after a win

UTFT

Above Blackburn - again, just - realistic
So they are 17th and we are 19th. Is that so bad to what you wanted. It seems close to me for people on here to be shouting for his sacking since before xmas

And Cook has no influence over how Blackburn do over the season so how can that be a good gauge of his performance.

So they are 17th and we are 19th. Is that so bad to what you wanted. It seems close to me for people on here to be shouting for his sacking since before xmas

And Cook has no influence over how Blackburn do over the season so how can that be a good gauge of his performance.
No but he does have influence over who we buy, how we play and the points total.
Based on that and what i saw last week they have upped the game or weve gone backwards (relatively)

Blackburn have kept pretty much the same starting 11 that we finished above last season and have suffered 2 long poor runs of form and whilst conceeding more away goals away than anyone else this season, so they have under performed themselves compared to what they have shown they are capable of. Yet they are still 8 points above us and have never at any point been in the relegation battle - i don't think finishing above them was remotely unreasonable and being so far behind them does illustrate our failings.

If the scale of expectation / ambition was to end up in a relegation scrap with Rotherham and finish below Blackburn then you're easily pleased.
One great win and it's rose tinted heaven
Seriously what are your expectations with very low gates and an inevitable low budget?