Cook needs to go! | Page 15 | Vital Football

Cook needs to go!

PC deserves and will stay as our manager next season , this was about staying in the Championship so job done .
I do hope he takes his friends hat off in the closed season and brings in what we do need 4/5 quality proven players and gives Lang a chance ..
Powell can go he has shown nothing in skill or desire lately
James well thats another level .. hope he gets what he wants and gets in the Chelsea squad good luck to him ..
Sign Walton , him and Jones are good enough at this level for me
Massey contract needs sorting he has grown into a good player and injury free will be a big player for us next season ..

My apologies for completely going back on what I said earlier! But I have to say this in response, Cook did nothing in the PNE game that has earned him the right to manage us next season. In fact I’d argue that the game only served to prove the opposite.

Right, I’ll say no more until the end of the season. Promise!

I understand your point of view. But for me the starting lineup over the past three games has shown more resilience, work rate and ability in their assigned positions then we've seen all season. For me Cook deserves credit for that.

I was backing Cook upto the Bristol city/Hull games. But his decision making in those two was the final knock after the accumulation of choices he's made this season. Against Bristol, Dunkley was at fault for both goals and he subs Kipre, following game he drops Kipre(no problem) leaves Dunkley in the starting lineup(terrible form) and puts our most influential player in Reece James as a centre back. Playing Gibson in midfield. Gibson who shouldn't of had his contract extended past Jan 1st. Might of been a player years ago, but now he walks like a drunk and carries himself like an out of shape youth player. Flimsy, slow, weak and inconsistent passing. Most be another friend of the manager because he isn't selected for his ability, MacDonald is better then him in every area.

Over the past three games we've competed, which to me is more important then results. If we revert to sitting in with passengers who aren't willing to put a shift in without the ball, then we'll lose patience in him again. But if Cook can continue to select and potentially find more players that are willing to apply pressure to the other team we will be much better for it.

My two pennyworth is that I think we will keep Cook and that's right but if we dont start well or are in trouble around November I dont think they will hesitate this time and will fire him

My two pennyworth is that I think we will keep Cook and that's right but if we dont start well or are in trouble around November I dont think they will hesitate this time and will fire him

In a nutshell. The point I have been making for the last few weeks. He deserves the chance of a second season having survived this one. If things don't go well then that is the time to change but bear this in mind, who are we going to get in that we can afford with a better track record than Paul Cook. Our Budget is limited and decent, experienced Championship managers don't come cheap. Sometimes its better the devil you know.

As I’ve said on another thread.....with our Everton connections, I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with David Unsworth!

Personally I agree with those who have said we could can sack him however who out there that is better than what we have ?

We either go for someone with a good record lower down the pyramid, however no experience at this level.

Alternatively I would of thought most available managers with championship experience, would have had mixed results with their previous clubs.

A manager who hasn't been sacked by another club or doesn't already have question marks hanging over them, wont be looking to manage Wigan.

I'm not saying Cook doesn't frustrate at times; I can understand the points that are being made however I genuinely don't see any major benefit to sacking him. In fact I just think it creates another period on uncertainty and instability.

I echo what’s suggested by most on another thread, recruitment is so key this summer. It has to be right. We’re losing arguably our two best players in James and Powell. James can’t be replaced by someone of the same quality but we have to be replacing Powell with someone of that ilk.

On the subject of Powell. Just to give a comparison. Norwich last season finished 14th, it was Maddison's first season at championship level. He created 22 of their 49 goals scored. They finished 14th place. This season they spent 5m on their team. Less then we did, they've currently scored 89 goals this season.

We've scored 49 goals so far this season, Powell's created 13 of them. If Norwich can become a better team without their most creative player, any team at this level has potential to do that as well.

I dont think we should offer Clarke a contract only played well in about 3 games and two of them been the last two plus another year older

I don't think Clarke will be offered a contract.
But I can see us looking for a younger version though.

On the subject of Powell. Just to give a comparison. Norwich last season finished 14th, it was Maddison's first season at championship level. He created 22 of their 49 goals scored. They finished 14th place. This season they spent 5m on their team. Less then we did, they've currently scored 89 goals this season.

We've scored 49 goals so far this season, Powell's created 13 of them. If Norwich can become a better team without their most creative player, any team at this level has potential to do that as well.
The difference being Norwich have great recruitment that comes probably with getting a foreign manager who knows foreign leagues. Teemu Pukki, free transfer, Zimmermann, free transfer, Stiepermann and Buendia both cheap foreign signings. Are we going to find players like that with our recruitment system and English manager? Not a bloody chance! It’s already started, linked with two centre backs from Barnsley, whom I bet each would cost more than those Norwich players put together.

As usual after a couple of wins, folk are falling into the trap of thinking we’re a great team and should be signing everyone up. Time for a reality check! Clarke has been largely poor and a few good games as his loan spell conveniently comes to an end before he’ll be needing a new permanent club isn’t enough to make me want to sign him. Ditto Robinson. Our current squad minus all the players we’ll be losing is a 24th place squad on paper. We have some serious work to do!

The difference being Norwich have great recruitment that comes probably with getting a foreign manager who knows foreign leagues. Teemu Pukki, free transfer, Zimmermann, free transfer, Stiepermann and Buendia both cheap foreign signings. Are we going to find players like that with our recruitment system and English manager? Not a bloody chance! It’s already started, linked with two centre backs from Barnsley, whom I bet each would cost more than those Norwich players put together.

As usual after a couple of wins, folk are falling into the trap of thinking we’re a great team and should be signing everyone up. Time for a reality check! Clarke has been largely poor and a few good games as his loan spell conveniently comes to an end before he’ll be needing a new permanent club isn’t enough to make me want to sign him. Ditto Robinson. Our current squad minus all the players we’ll be losing is a 24th place squad on paper. We have some serious work to do!

Time you had a reality check yourself. Norwich average 27k against our 12k no wonder they can afford to employ a proper recruitment team.

We are the third worst supported team in this league so we have overachieved this season.

[QUOTE="C_Latic, post Not a bloody chance! It’s already started, linked with two centre backs from Barnsley, whom I bet each would cost more than those Norwich players put together.[/QUOTE]

This was mentioned over on CL, I asked the question there and not had reply yet....who are they ? And given it looks likely that Barnsley may come up anyway, why would we represent a better option than staying where the players are (presumably) already fixtures in their team?

I can’t see us offering much more in wages than Barnsley ?

Time you had a reality check yourself. Norwich average 27k against our 12k no wonder they can afford to employ a proper recruitment team.

We are the third worst supported team in this league so we have overachieved this season.
What’s your excuse for Brentford then?

You stew on that and while thinking of a reply keep reminding yourself that we apparently have no money, when Josh Windass is a 2.5 million pound signing with a five figure salary.

On the subject of crowds ( or lack of ) where the bloody hell were the floaters Monday ?... Preston brought about 2,800 so that meant there were less than 10k home. Nice sunny day, bank holiday , important match against Lancashire rivals....its piss poor all round.

On the subject of crowds ( or lack of ) where the bloody hell were the floaters Monday ?... Preston brought about 2,800 so that meant there were less than 10k home. Nice sunny day, bank holiday , important match against Lancashire rivals....its piss poor all round.
£30 a ticket with only under 18s and over 65 concessions. What were you expecting? It’s well established that this town won’t pay £30 to watch a Championship team, especially not against a small fry club like Preston.

I was surprised at the £30 adult charge for preston at home. Maybe £25 would have brought more in.
Maybe next season we could introduce an 18- 21 price bracket. As most people that age are on a low income.