Cook needs to go! | Page 14 | Vital Football

Cook needs to go!

John, surely you'd at least concede that the same scenario applies to our opposition too.

That was one very strange signing he is only 19, but also only had about 5 goals in 25 apperances last season for Forest so he wasn't ripping up trees to justify that type of fee. If you are paying so much you'd think it would be the finished article ready to go straight into your first team.

It has all the hallmarks of a "one for the future" except for the bonkers price tag. To be fair, I've only seen it reported as "up to 7m" it could be starting much much lower.

It has all the hallmarks of a "one for the future" except for the bonkers price tag. To be fair, I've only seen it reported as "up to 7m" it could be starting much much lower.

Even if they only paid half, they got ripped off. Especially when they spent more on him than it cost others to get Grabban, Waghorn and Marriott at this level. They probably could've resigned Rhodes or got someone like Olivera or Gregory for a fraction of that.

I dont know if i should bump this thread or start a new one but i have read som stats from the season so far.
https://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england2

In the first 45 min with extra time the score have been even at 23-23, just the second half scores its 18-34. Last 30 min + extra time the stats is 10-25!!
I have often complained about fitness issues since Martinez was manager and while letting goals in late is not just fitness related in seems that Cook and the fitness coaches have failed to get the team as fit as they need to be.

Of course it has an effect if you dont have the energy to go the full 90 while trying to defend, the more tired you are the more likely you are to make a mistake.
Its not 100% the reason as it also has to do with tactics, who you are up against, away/home game etc. The stats are so alarming that i cant look away and say that it is not a fitness issue.

Some interesting thoughts reading back some of the posts on this thread.

I know that some still want rid, regardless of our confirmed safety. Me, I'm just glad we didn't take a massive gamble - for the third time - and instead, stood by a manager for a change.
Difficult at times when going to the away matches and witnessing the tactics / performances.
Watching matches being gifted to lesser teams (on the day) on a regular basis was hard to take at times.
Hopefully a learning exercise for the coaching staff to carry forward onto next season and beyond.

I am also thankful the manager was not sacked as per the recent Whelan Championship years .... negativity and relegation prevailed.

Onwards and upwards !

I honestly can’t be bothered debating it right now either. I’m just relieved we’re safe. Let’s get the season out of the way then the Cook ins and Cook outs can go to war again.

Past three games he's earned the right to manage us next season. Even though he's the most frustrating manager we've had in my time watching Latics.

I hope his decision making improves, dropping players who are in form. Playing players out of position, moving in form players to a position they can't influence the game. Generally makes the team worse with tactical changes during games. Doesn't drop players who are in awful form and didn't recruit players at the end of last season in the position's we are weakest.

With that said i do like Cook. I hope he does better next season, as we're capable of more then we've produced this season.

Past three games he's earned the right to manage us next season. Even though he's the most frustrating manager we've had in my time watching Latics.

I hope his decision making improves, dropping players who are in form. Playing players out of position, moving in form players to a position they can't influence the game. Generally makes the team worse with tactical changes during games. Doesn't drop players who are in awful form and didn't recruit players at the end of last season in the position's we are weakest.

With that said i do like Cook. I hope he does better next season, as we're capable of more then we've produced this season.
My apologies for completely going back on what I said earlier! But I have to say this in response, Cook did nothing in the PNE game that has earned him the right to manage us next season. In fact I’d argue that the game only served to prove the opposite.

Right, I’ll say no more until the end of the season. Promise!

First manager to keep us in the championship since 2014. It’s also been his first season in the division. He’ll have learnt more than anyone about championship football this year, and judged on the past week or so, he may have even cracked it in time for next season.

Staying in this tricky league is a really good achievement and I think it’s much fairer to judge cooks credentials as a championship manager at the end of his second season.

I echo what’s suggested by most on another thread, recruitment is so key this summer. It has to be right. We’re losing arguably our two best players in James and Powell. James can’t be replaced by someone of the same quality but we have to be replacing Powell with someone of that ilk.

We are renowned for bringing in a bunch of players each year, 25% of which will feature in the first eleven. We need quality this summer. Maybe just 3 or 4 players who can come straight in and improve us. I’d include Leon Clarke as one of these - impressed in recent weeks.

Cook very much in and massive congrats to the guy who’s kept fighting till the end whilst the fans launched themselves in to defeatist, pessimistic chaos around him.