Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic

The difference between us was that we are physical and can look after ourselves but generally stay the right side of the law. No doubt Scholes requested his players to be physical and stand up to ourselves, not aware his team are not streetwise, more petulant and ill disciplined.

The difference between us was that we are physical and can look after ourselves but generally stay the right side of the law. No doubt Scholes requested his players to be physical and stand up to ourselves, not aware his team are not streetwise, more petulant and ill disciplined.

And - did any one else notice? - rather on the small side? Definitely not Beasts & Monsters.

Will read thread later on but thought I would post the Baxter red if anyone hasn;t seen it:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1105567282351230979/pu/vid/1280x720/Pv8-0SLIVM46A_dA.mp4?tag=8

Oh and the lad who went off after he tried to make out Bostwick had barged him into the hoardings...............and then decided he was going to have Bolger ending up injuring himself.......................is getting a pasting on the Oldham board. Because he decided to do an instagram video from inside his ambulance with oxygen mask on and had the time to put graphics on the video :) They are spitting feathers. lol

Can you imagine a City player doing that? Minerals and all? Maybe Bostwick being filmed by someone else as he attempts to fight his way out of the ambulance and back to the pitch.

Just got home - had a great night. We started slowly but once we found a way to break through their defence we pinned them back and limited their attacks on our goal. We probably should have had couple more goals.....on another day?
I was worried about them going down to 10 men but instead of being under pressure ourselves, as oftdn the case, we played some lovely triangles in and around them. A delight to watch. We can play tippy tappy when we want. ?
Going to bed very happy.

I'm afraid Oldham lacked fight, passion, cohesion, organisation, penetration, height, finishing, threat, street-wiseness (I made that word up), strength, desire, a plan, a plan B, goals, attempts on goal, possession, corners and points.

But apart from that, they were great.

Man of the match for me was Tom Pett who ran the midfield, with Andrade best attacking player. John Akinde tonight seemed to have a good touch everywhere except in front of goal. After the first ten minutes we looked comfortable in defence and didn't really miss Shackell.

I agree on Pett. The number of times he sold the opposition with his "drop the shoulder" routine and then played us in because of getting 1 or 2 players going the wrong way was laughable. And I think it showed that Rowe plays well when Pett is in the centre. They play well together and form a nice triangle with Anderson.

It was interesting watching Scholes in the second half. He just stood there forlornly by himself with his hood up huddling into his jacket. He was neither proactive or reactive; nothing, nada. He just stood there passively as our lot ran rings round his players who frankly didn't look interested with at least half an hour to go. The most animated he got was a conversation with the 4th official before the board went up for TAO. I reckon he was begging the official to drop it from 5 mins. to the 3 that were added on. TBH he looked like a man thinking 'what am I doing here on a windy Tuesday night when I could be in a nice warm TV studio at The Etihad'.

I make of it that Mr Scholes has an awful lot to learn.

OR he isn't a Cooper style manager who goes on a rant about how crap his team was. Maybe he is doing his best with what he has inherited, knows they had no fight but sees no benefit in publicly stating so. And so he diplomatically says what he has said and does his berating on the training pitch instead.

It was interesting watching Scholes in the second half. He just stood there forlornly by himself with his hood up huddling into his jacket. He was neither proactive or reactive; nothing, nada. He just stood there passively as our lot ran rings round his players who frankly didn't look interested with at least half an hour to go. The most animated he got was a conversation with the 4th official before the board went up for TAO. I reckon he was begging the official to drop it from 5 mins. to the 3 that were added on. TBH he looked like a man thinking 'what am I doing here on a windy Tuesday night when I could be in a nice warm TV studio at The Etihad'.

The problem with gifted, top-flight players turning lower-league manager is that they often have very little understanding or empathy with the game at that level. See, for example, Chris Sutton.

A nice sentiment from an Exeter fan this evening:

"Does anyone else think the dice always seem to loaded in favour of Lincoln and the Cowleys ? Would love to find out refs have been taking bungs in order for them to gain an advantage and have them kicked out of football altogether never to be seen again."

"Does anyone else think the dice always seem to loaded in favour of Lincoln and the Cowleys ? Would love to find out refs have been taking bungs in order for them to gain an advantage and have them kicked out of football altogether never to be seen again."

This person probably also doesn't vaccinate their children. And votes for Brexit.

I like this comment from the Oldham forum:

"Lincoln are a poor bunch of footballers, but their policy of overpowing [sic] the opposition works in this league."

Dead right, a poor bunch of footballers with four defeats all season.

A poor bunch of footballers? Look at the two goals we scored - I think Paul Scholes would have been proud of those moves and finishes playing for England!

Results as they stand have put us 5 points nearer promotion tonight!
If I'm right, we now need 18 points for promotion from final 27 points.

And hadn't realised about the MK v Mansfield fixture to come.
Which therefore means, at most, 16 points now needed for promotion from last nine games.

We must pay Mr Ben T oner loads given all the favours we get off him each time!