Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
This Match Is Not About Me - Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic:

Information about tonight's Match Officials.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/this-match-is-not-about-me-lincoln-city-v-oldham-athletic/

"It's another cup final Tuesday, we all need to turn up.":

A few things we need to do tonight to pick up all three points.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/its-another-cup-final-tuesday-we-all-need-to-turn-up/

"Hopefully, a good summer and decent recruitment will help us push for promotion next season." (Who Are Ya?):

"As a footballer, he won everything there is to win. As a manager, he won't really be judged until next season. He's come in after the transfer window had closed and this season has pretty much been tossed off. Hopefully, a good summer and decent recruitment will help us push for promotion next season. Assuming, that is, that he is still our manager."

The first set of answers:
https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...-will-help-us-push-for-promotion-next-season/

The second set of answers:
https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...sh-for-promotion-next-season/2/#gallery-slide

DC: "They see the potential that we see here.":

Summary of yesterday's Press Conference with Danny Cowley.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/dc-they-see-the-potential-that-we-see-here/

Scholes was away from the ground on Monday due to illness - will he be gracing the Sincil Bank touchline tonight?

The Oldham manager was scathing about his team's second half performance at Cambridge on Saturday:

"I can't really explain the second half performance, it was probably the worst half of football we've had since I've been here."

He was unequivocal about the Lincoln game:

"We know what a good team Lincoln are, they're top of the league for a reason so it'll be tough.

"I've said to the lads in the changing room if we play like we did in the second half then we'll get beat without a shadow of a doubt."

Come on you Imps!!!!!!!!!!

Need some help folks - will be watching my son in his school play from 7.00....

Hopefully be home to catch up with some of the second half.

Anybody up for deputising for me?

Involves a spot of typing, shouting loudly and, hopefully, a dram or two of Ardbeg....

Come on you Imps!!!!!!!!!!!!! ©

Star player Jose Baxter was taken off early in the second half at Cambridge due to illness, possibly suggesting something running through the Oldham camp?

Bruno Andrade needs one more goal to hit double figures for the season; Harry Anderson needs three. John Akinde needs two goals from open play to hit double figures in that category. Which of the three will get there first?

Matt Rhead...

The only current outfield players who have yet to score this season are Cian Bolger, James Brown, Jordan Roberts and Lee Angol.

We have scored 80 goals this season so far: three more are needed to equal last season's 83.

We need one more clean sheet to hit ten for the league season.

We have scored in 25 successive games, 20 in the league. It is only the eleventh time in the club's history the side has scored in 20 successive league games (in the same season):

31: 1936-37, 1951-52
27: 1931-32
24: 1930-31
23: 1908-09
22: 1892-93, 2006-07
20: 1889-90, 1926-27, 1950-51, 2018-19

If City score in the games against Oldham, Mansfield and Crawley, it will constitute the best scoring run in league games since 1951-52.

Last edited:
Scotimp - that last stat has put the kaibosh on it - I sense a 0 - 0 (or worse) coming now ??

Bruno Andrade needs one more goal to hit double figures for the season; Harry Anderson needs three. John Akinde needs two goals from open play to hit double figures in that category. Which of the three will get there first?

Matt Rhead...

The only current outfield players who have yet to score this season are Cian Bolger, James Brown and Lee Angol.

We have scored 80 goals this season so far: three more are needed to equal last season's 83.

We need one more clean sheet to hit ten for the league season.

We have scored in 25 successive games, 20 in the league. It is only the eleventh time in the club's history the side has scored in 20 successive league games (in the same season):

31: 1936-37, 1951-52
27: 1931-32
24: 1930-31
23: 1908-09
22: 1892-93, 2006-07
20: 1889-90, 1926-27, 1950-51, 2018-19

If City score in the games against Oldham, Mansfield and Crawley, it will constitute the best scoring run in league games since 1951-52.
Only had 9 clean sheets this season? I thought we had a little more than that.

Seems weird to have kept so few, yet still the 3rd(?) best defense in the league.

Only had 9 clean sheets this season? I thought we had a little more than that.

Seems weird to have kept so few, yet still the 3rd(?) best defense in the league.
It is odd. Danny often quotes that Braintree kept 21 clean sheets in 2015-16, which should be a title-winning achievement; however, they 'only' finished third. The problem was that they only scored 56 themselves, which was the lowest number of any of the top fourteen clubs. Clean sheets are great, providing you score yourself. City may not keep too many clean sheets but they can score goals to compensate.

Will the gathering storm influence the team selection and tactics accordingly?

Would you play Rhead and aim for his head in a strong wind? Or would you play Rowe and keep it on the deck? McCartan suddenly seems not to be an option.

Goalwise, away record (F32 A17) is better than home (F31 A18).

Pointswise, it's Home 37, Away 35.