Manchester City 3 Watford 1 Post Match Reaction | Vital Football

Manchester City 3 Watford 1 Post Match Reaction

'I never criticise the referee'
Manchester City 3-1 Watford

ReutersCopyright: Reuters
Watford manager Javi Gracia is refusing to get drawn on the decision to award the first Manchester City goal, but he's clearly frustrated by the decision.
"I think everybody saw what happened," he tells BT Sport. "I never criticise the referees and I am not going to do it today.
"I think we played very good first half, defensively perfect - collectively doing a very good performance."

Manchester City goalscorer Raheem Sterling speaking to BBC Match of the Day:
“It’s a massive win, it was difficult in the first half to break them down, they were compact and solid. We got the slight luck we needed and kept going and pressing.
“In my head I am hoping and praying. I don’t know what the issue was but I was hoping my goal didn’t get cancelled out! We got it and it kick started our game. I don’t think I was offside but I don’t know what the issue was, I was just happy to see it count.
“I needed to get the second goal and then with 54 minutes gone I thought I could get a third. It is only my second match ball and I want to try and get some more.
“They are a great team, their substitute made an instant impact which rattled our cages but we kept focused. Every game is a final but we focus on our next game which is the Champions league. We relax and take our time.
“All we can do is focus on ourselves, but let’s hope we can get a bit of luck as well.”

Watford manager Javi Gracia speaking to BBC Match of the Day:
"Everybody could see what happened, it was a game before that moment and a game after it. The game changed we played a very good first half, defensively perfect, knowing we have options in the second half and in that moment our plan changed and it was difficult for us.
"I think it is offside because when Aguero touches the ball Sterling is offside and he influences it by going to the ball. The linesman says it is offside but I do not criticise the referees and I will not do it today.
"The officials have to explain their decision, not me. I said to him the screen and it was offside, but they try to do their best and make the decision and we have to accept.
"They don’t need a lot of things to change the game because they have a high quality squad, we waited for our moment but it wasn’t enough."

More Javi Gracia, speaking about his decision to make seven changes to his side for the game: "It was a good decision because before the game we thought we needed fresh legs to defend and run a lot. I trust all my squad we have 26 players available and all of them are ready to help the team in the different moments they have.
"We focus on the next game the quarter finals and try as usual to do our best and progress. We can speak about many things but we need to win the next game. All our supporters are looking forward to this game and they know with their support we are able to beat anyone."

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to BBC Match of the Day:
"It is the end part of the season so every game is important. For three months we wait to be top of the league and now we have to try and win our games. I am sorry if it (the first goal) is offside but we deserve to win. The opponent comes here -against Liverpool they tried to press but here they have 11 players in the box. Literally there is no spaces but we found it and we created a lot which is why we deserved to win.
"Today is not luck. We won because we were better, much better than the opponent. Here there are many people working to make last season’s level and if they can do that it will be down to hard work and not luck.
"With the second goal soon after it was easier but at the end with long balls they win the duels. Maybe Troy Deeney is the best player at holding the ball up but even with those situations we created on the counter attack two or three chances to win the game."

And on the controversial first goal for Manchester City, Pep Guardiola added: "I thought it was not a goal because of the linesman’s decision and then the referee says it is. With VAR we don’t have this problem, the Premier League decides against VAR, when all around the world we have it. Next season we won’t be having this conversation and we will be clear.
"In the beginning of the season we (Manchester City) voted for VAR to help referees but many clubs didn’t want it and this kind of situation would be easier. In other games there are wrong decisions goals are offside, dives make penalties which is why VAR helps referees to make the job better. I am helped by my staff and referees need help from technology."