January moves? | Page 51 | Vital Football

January moves?

According to Nixon the bid for Grigg is now "almost ten times the original offer". Based on what was reported we are looking at around £ 2.5m. Would seem a reasonable valuation. Stick or twist?

I blame all those who wanted a Plan B.

Plan A - silky football.........with Grigg, Windass, Jacobs, etc
Plan B - hoofball ................. with Vaughan, Garner, Clarke etc

Like my Grandma used to say ......I want, never gets.
;)

Jake Buxton was well loved by Derby County fans, he came here and was an absolute bag of sh!te...

That's a fair one but Buxton had hardly played a game for them for a couple of seasons, their praise for him did reek of nostalgia more than an accurate reflection on current ability when you looked at how little they used him in recent times. Clarke has been playing this season and was the top scorer last season so i think that the Sheff U fans appraisal should be more accurate.

With regards to the complaints about January signings, who was the last January signing who could truly be described as a complete success?

Looking back on the last 6 or 7 years we've signed 30-odd players in January and the only ones that could be said to be a success are Wildschut and Morsy. All the other permanent signings have been abject failures. So I'm not worried about our failure to splash more money than is sensible in January for players we could probably get far cheaper in June. We've made some astute signings that have strengthened the team and, yes, while there are still gaps and still time for things to change we're in positive territory for the moment.

UNDERLAND. Waiting on Will Grigg answer. Latest bid sounds pretty fair. WIGAN need to decide quick. Almost ten times first offer couple of weeks back. Venezuelan inflation rates.

Add PORTSMOUTH to list of James Vaughan fans ..
VAUGHAN. Brief interest from BOLTON and FLEETWOOD. But OXFORD still in there strong. Tick tock.

According to Nixon the bid for Grigg is now "almost ten times the original offer". Based on what was reported we are looking at around £ 2.5m. Would seem a reasonable valuation. Stick or twist?

Having Clarke makes me more relaxed on this I'd sell Grigg if we are getting in enough money to fund a better replacements - but it would depend who the replacements were.

If you for example said that we'd sell Grigg for just under 2m then buy something like Kachunga from Hudderfield and Marcus Maddison for 1m each I'd take that any day. But knowing our recruitment team they come up with plenty of bad suggestions so i'm very sceptical on who they'd have in mind. Fair play to them this window they have got in 3 decent players so maybe someone has given them a kick up the arse but their record doesn't inspire confidence over the last few years.

Not against selling Grigg but if we are selling a L1 safe bet we need a safe (as you can get) Championship bet to replace him.

Vaughan apparently already at Portsmouth to sign.

Great bit of business getting him out of the door and freeing up space on the wage bill. Works hard but just nowhere near good enough for this level. If it goes through wish him luck and grateful for his contributions to the side - his best moment in a Latics shirt was probably coming on as sub at Ewood last season and changing the game for us.

I blame all those who wanted a Plan B.

Plan A - silky football.........with Grigg, Windass, Jacobs, etc
Plan B - hoofball ................. with Vaughan, Garner, Clarke etc

Like my Grandma used to say ......I want, never gets.
;)

Powell, Jacobs, Massey, Grigg all back soon and with Pilkington and Windass thrown into the mix why do I get the feeling Cook will do as he's been told and resort back to plan A. ;)

If it was the start of a window and we were offered 2.5 I’d probably take it given we have adequate time to find a replacement.
On deadline day, I wouldn’t take less than 4.

With regards to the complaints about January signings, who was the last January signing who could truly be described as a complete success?

Looking back on the last 6 or 7 years we've signed 30-odd players in January and the only ones that could be said to be a success are Wildschut and Morsy. All the other permanent signings have been abject failures. So I'm not worried about our failure to splash more money than is sensible in January for players we could probably get far cheaper in June. We've made some astute signings that have strengthened the team and, yes, while there are still gaps and still time for things to change we're in positive territory for the moment.
Sharner ?

If any clubs rings up another and asks for a price they aren't doing it to make conversation they want to know what offer will it take to make the deal happen. If we had no intention of selling we'd not give them a price at all and just say not for sale.[/QUOTE

Yes thank you for that insight.
But why would anyone not tell them what they value a player at, if they are not going to sell them. It makes no difference because you are not selling them.

Which was what i said in the analogy

Yes thank you for that insight.
But why would anyone not tell them what they value a player at, if they are not going to sell them. It makes no difference because you are not selling them.

You're anaology doent make much sense again though does it.

A players value is literally how much other clubs would need to pay to make you willing to sell them. If you say our player is worth 1.5m but we wont sell him for that - then that isn't his value. If it would take 4m then that is his value.

Every player has a price and clubs are desperate on deadline day so you throw out a figure that would be too good to turn down, or even above that value knowing that if they try to haggle you down you still get what you wanted.