The Official January Transfer Window Thread. | Page 72 | Vital Football

The Official January Transfer Window Thread.

If Carroll is a CDM or as the weirdos say DCM I am sincerely hoping that this is the player that Smith envisages taking up the Ryan Woods Brentford role.

If he is then it makes so much more sense than Fer. I just couldn't work out where Fer was going to fit in.

They used to call Fer the bodyguard so clear enough he would have went in as a destroyer. Instead we've got a lad who is the passer.

I was surprised that Bedeau was sold to Scunthorpe.
Good moves for O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes, McKirdy, Blackett-Taylor, Bree, Hepburn-Murphy and Hogan.
Mings in with a chance to buy if we equal any offer made for him in the summer, I take it that we get him for free if there are no offers? No probably not.
Carroll could be a cracking loan, a sort of left-sided McGinn type, well he was at Spurs.
Guilibert is reckoned to be a steal by friends living in Caen.

One thing is for sure, the loan reporters have a lot of work to do for the rest of the season.

We have to consider PR element with Gilbert (that's what I'm calling him).

Smith's words on Bolasie when the claim was he wanted a shot at Everton again - where did he move tonight by the way lol

It's about the summer and next summer, we're not fucking around any more. The plan might not work but we have one. Finally.

Worst window I can recall. A very questionable goalie, two injury prone defenders and an injury prone (lightweight) midfielder. The match day squad will look weaker without bolasie and hogan at least on the bench and promising young players bombed out. Otherwise, it’s a big thumbs up from me?

Well that’s a bit underwhelming isn’t it?

We’ll have to see how the Jan signings turn out in reality rather than on paper, but I’m not expecting a great deal.

Anyone still think we’re going to turn it around and reach the play offs?

To all of the naysayers, I appreciate that you maybe underwhelmed by the lack of a landmark signing but apart from the keeper (who is an improvement on Nyland) all the others are loans with an option to buy. What can be wrong with that?

If it works out great and we get to keep them. If they are pants we send them back.

Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Chin up lads at least we've done something unlike many other clubs

Well, I went to bed approx. 11:20 last night expecting to see Fer had signed this morning. So imagine my (and a few others) shock and surprise that we finish up with Carroll instead..........

Never mine eh, welcome to the Aston Villa Convalescence Home.

Last edited:
Lightweight midfielder who passed sideways and can’t tackle. We’ll have to see how Smith sees him in the side but it cannot be with Hourihane and if with Whelan the ball will never go forwards.

It looks like he’s gone for players who have not reached their potential in previous moves due to injury. The gamble is that they stay injury-free now. If the gamble fails then we only have to pay the bill for 4 months max unlike the Bruce deals. To offset this cost we’ve loaned out players that have had opportunities here and not made the grade. If the new ones succeed we can buy them. Given all our previous discussions about being tied by FFP then to see new faces is a plus. In fact if only one of them comes off it’s been a good window.
The French full back is a bit of a bonus. (I hope).

I think some peoples wishes for this window where unrealistic.

I'm not overwhelmed by our signings nor at the moment, am I underwhelmed.

As with most things in life, time will tell us at the end of the season so let's give the new players a chance before laying into them before they have even kicked a ball in a Claret & Blue shirt.

Apart from that, no one except the club and players knows the exact contract details whether the loans are with a view to signing on a permeant basis subject to both parties agreeing?

Personally, I'm going to give them and Dean Smith a chance to go out and show us what they are really about?