Chelsea v Tottenham Carabou Cup 2nd leg | Page 15 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Tottenham Carabou Cup 2nd leg

I was only referring to how Chelski came out and played today, they dominated because we allowed them to, the other 3 in the side wouldn't have.

If we were more powerful commanding the attacking half, our defense wouldn't have had as much to do.

Pretty sure we had exactly 0 shots on goal in the first half.

We lack a few guys who have composure to hold the ball to relieve pressure. Our current holding MF lacks tenacity and easily overrun. Dier is no Dembo or Wanya of 3 yrs ago. In fact Dier had been downhill after 1st year. Resting on his laurels. Served him right that he lost England starting position. But with Poch, he will play regardless of how bad he has become. These are the cons of Poch.

Well I didn't watch the match...thank God for time difference!!! (so my blood pressure is thankful)

**Though I did just see the replay of the Chelsea goal that basically threaded the needle of every Spurs player on the field including our GK. (hell it may have went through MPs legs too, not sure) All I could do is simply shake my head and say to myself "Yep this type of shit always happens to us..."

But I do have some thoughts after reading through the thread:

-In what world are some of our starters getting the nod over some of our youngsters? Why not give Skipp, KWP, etc... a run at this? Honestly in my opinion, KWP should be starting anyway. (KWP on right and Rose on left would be nice to see)

-From what I can gather, Dier was useless. No surprise there...with the revival of Sissoko.

-Going forward we are retarded. I simply don't think we have ANY identity and that is hurting everyone. Nobody really knows how to play together or they simply don't know what to do off the ball. I hate talking up other teams...but if you see the likes of City and Pool moving off the ball, then look at how static we are...pathetic.

Oh well, we are out of this lame cup, guess it is nice to avoid that ABSOLUTE ASS KICKING we would have recieved from City anyway. We need to put this aside, get healthy and try to hang the shit on to a top 4 place, which I am not exactly sure if we can.

We are in a VERY tenuous spot right now guys!

Last edited:
Well I didn't watch the match...thank God for time difference!!! (so my blood pressure is thankful)

But I do have some thoughts after reading through the thread:

-In what world are some of our starters getting the nod over some of our youngsters? Why not give Skipp, KWP, etc... a run at this? Honestly in my opinion, KWP should be starting anyway. (KWP on right and Rose on left would be nice to see)

-From what I can gather, Dier was useless. No surprise there...with the revival of Sissoko.

Serge was fine.

Because Skipp etc are not ready to play in a game like this.

Considering Dier was half fit he didnt do to badly.

Serge was fine.

Because Skipp etc are not ready to play in a game like this.

Considering Dier was half fit he didnt do to badly.

Sorry Kiny, I was editing my post when you replied, so I added to mine. Apologies.

I still like Serge, so no issues there.

Playing a half fit Dier is flipping retarded anyway...so I have issues with that. If you are not FIT, then you should not be playing, he would be a liability.

(If a half fit Dier is 'ready' for a match like this, then how is a fully fit Skipp not? Again I think blooding some youngsters should have been our route here...if we didn't care about the cup anyway...)

People can moan about lack of strikers but we never lost because of that. We lost because our cm's are crap at ball retention and rubbish at defending. Winks can run with ball but cannot pick a pass. Sissoko is a work horse but has no class and the worst of the lot is Dier he is bottom of the table or championship level.Christian who everyone raves about picks the wrong pass time and time again. In the 1st half he should have played a simple one two with Lamela, who then would have been clear on goal but picked the wrong pass. Our fbs love to attack but cannot defend. Both need replacing. Fernando scored but that was it otherwise a waste of space. Lamela worked harder than anyone on the pitch. Was harshly treated by the ref I thought. He had some very good touches and lay offs but did not do enough. He needs to be greedy run at players and shoot. If not and although this would break my heart as he is my favourite player. He needs to be sold. For him and the team. That's because for some reason he is not in the click with, Kane, Son, Dele, Christian and Dier. They just hardly pass to him.
Toby and Vert were solid. Paulo was average, Hugo would have saved at least one of those goals.

People can moan about lack of strikers but we never lost because of that. We lost because our cm's are crap at ball retention and rubbish at defending. Winks can run with ball but cannot pick a pass. Sissoko is a work horse but has no class and the worst of the lot is Dier he is bottom of the table or championship level.Christian who everyone raves about picks the wrong pass time and time again. In the 1st half he should have played a simple one two with Lamela, who then would have been clear on goal but picked the wrong pass. Our fbs love to attack but cannot defend. Both need replacing. Fernando scored but that was it otherwise a waste of space. Lamela worked harder than anyone on the pitch. Was harshly treated by the ref I thought. He had some very good touches and lay offs but did not do enough. He needs to be greedy run at players and shoot. If not and although this would break my heart as he is my favourite player. He needs to be sold. For him and the team. That's because for some reason he is not in the click with, Kane, Son, Dele, Christian and Dier. They just hardly pass to him.
Toby and Vert were solid. Paulo was average, Hugo would have saved at least one of those goals.

Agree about centre mid. We've gone from Wanyama and Dembele owning the middle of the park to a different and dysfunctional partnership every week. Of course, it doesn't help when you have a lazy arse like Llorente playing up top and the ball keeps coming back at you. We need a player like Neves that can do the ugly stuff, put his foot on the ball and pick the right pass.

As for up top, I'd still be looking to offload Vorm, Llorente, Janssen and N’Koudou along with the departed Dembele and see if we can't get a player in. If we can't, I'd just be happy knowing the deadwood has left the building. The kids can fill those squad places.

Agree, well said.

Sometimes I think listening to these sky *****. Y do I pay for sky. Then I release I don’t when the red mist settles . Biased hateful bunch of duckers they r

What sickens me is that **** Jamie Rednapp is always on there as the Ex Spurs player, when he couldn't make it more obvious that he hates the club.
Oh ,and Mr Gooner Smiff always co commentates on our games, I swear to God he was nearly crying in one game where we stuffed the gooners.

I had massive hope that Lamela would b our Hazard when he was in blistering form at start of season. But he has reverted to type

He doesn't look fit again to me. He's a lot like Rose in that he picks up injuries quite often and then takes ages to get back to match fitness and recapture form.

He doesn't have the quality to sustain any form, a bang average joe who has littered his 6-year Spurs career (why has it been so long) with bit part mediocrity. Not good enough for a top 4 squad and wouldn't get a look in for any of our rivals. The Hazard comparison made me chuckle (loudly)!

He doesn't have the quality to sustain any form, a bang average joe who has littered his 6-year Spurs career (why has it been so long) with bit part mediocrity. Not good enough for a top 4 squad and wouldn't get a look in for any of our rivals. The Hazard comparison made me chuckle (loudly)!

Hazard's first half performance was magnificent - we had no one who could even get close to him.

He chewed us up and spat us out.

Lamela was absent without permission - he was utterly dreadful and contributed the square root of nothing.

People over rate our squad players massively.

Apart for 20 minutes tonight how shit was lamela?

He’s starting the next few games

Llorente - don’t let the goal disguise how poor he was - again starting games till Son is back.

Moura - just back from injury.

I don't, in fact I've said it a thousand times - we don't have the 'depth' Which is why Poch has got them and had them over-performing, and now you finally agree with me....:grinning::tophat:

We lost because in the first half our flat back 4 was reliant on Davies doing his job - and he was over-run so many times it was painful - sadly, I was so happy when he got injured and Rose came on - (who should have started), playing Winks on the left of a diamond was plain dumb, he adjusted it after Rose came on, but they were cruising by then and it was only good fortune that stopped them running up a cricket score against us.

Over two legs, they were far superior. Hazard is at times, unstoppable and last night was one of them.

The sooner he goes to RM the better.

Last edited:
If Poch started the game with the tactics and lineup that started the second half for us, we would have gone through. I really don't get what he was thinking before the match. Credit where credit is deserved, Llorente's goal was excellent and showed EXACTLY what he is best at. That was literally the only thing he did right all match though.

But to say Chelsea were far superior is totally wrong. Without Hazard, they wouldnt have got anywhere near us in either leg. Willian and Pedro over both legs were woeful, Jorginho is a total backwards/sideways merchant and Giroud is Giroud. Kante was the only other player who put in good performances.

We let them have the win unfortunately, through poor decisions. They were not anywhere near as good as people thought. The tactic of 'give it to Hazard and watch him do a Forrest Gump impression' is not superiority.

I don't, in fact I've said it a thousand times - we don't have the 'depth' Which is why Poch has got them and had them over-performing, and now you finally agree with me....:grinning::tophat:

As you say the recruitment is down to him, so its his fault regarding the depth!

We lost because in the first half our flat back 4 was reliant on Davies doing his job - and he was over-run so many times it was painful - sadly, I was so happy when he got injured and Rose came on - (who should have started), playing Winks on the left of a diamond was plain dumb, he adjusted it after Rose came on, but they were cruising by then and it was only good fortune that stopped them running up a cricket score against us.

Over two legs, they were far superior. Hazard is at times, unstoppable and last night was one of them.

The sooner he goes to RM the better.

The amount of space down the left we had when we were attacking was unreal, Rose should have started to take advantage of this with his pace - as should of Moura.

I never want to see Lamela/Llorente partnership again - it doesnt work.

Overall we did not deserve to go through and I thought we did far better than my expectations....a semi defeat on penalties with a depleted squad and not enough depth is a sign that we are not as shite as some are saying on here.

Slightly disappointed personally that we did not get through in normal time on our second half showing Lorente and Moura could have won it for us if they had more confidence.

As someone else said how would Chelski have faired without hazzard and Kante for example!

Move on get over it....play a mix of youngsters and whats left of our experienced players who are not injured or carrying injuores and expect to go out. Maybe we surprise them but if not, what a great experience fot the up and coming potentials.

Sissokko came off carrying what looks like the same injury from Manure game so he was patched up for this one and that's purely because of our lack of depth.

Get em all fit for league and CL ....