Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm | Page 12 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Hull City Match Thread - Sat 19th January - 3pm

Had that Chester goal not gone in it would have been a very hostile half time send off. And so deserved.
We’re a team that’s conceded 45 goals, relegation figures, so I know it’s stating the obvious that it’s going to be hard to win matches. The only question I had about team selection was the roles of Barney and Hourihane which I thought would be better swapped to at least try to get Hourihane further up the pitch in a shooting position. In the event, both were shockingly poor.
El Ghazi at least looks like he has control of the ball and is comfortable on the ball which is pretty unique in our team. Adomah, Bolassie useless.
We can moan about Taylor but the root trouble at the heart of defence is Chester who just isn’t imposing enough. The whole defence is a soft touch but when you’ve got Hourihane and Barney in front of them who can’t tackle and giving the ball away and Hutton giving the opposition headed through balls every now and then what can we expect?

Agree, Smith has to have time to build now.
But what if you believe he isn't the calibre to move us forward? Why waste money on another average manager bringing in their average players? It seems to me that DS gets so much support because he is a Villa fan. I worry about the next 12 months, I hope I'm wrong I want him to succeed, as I want any manager to, I just have this feeling of the emporers new clothes.

Had a few hours to digest that game now. Appalling 1st half. We actually started brightly but from the moment Hourihane tried to beat a man for the first time in his life and miserably failed leading to an incredible goal line clearance we were abject.

I'm so glad you said that and not me because that was when it started to go tits up. Chester got him out of jail but you won't find that on his "Stats "

Yes I said to MD at half time , it scares me to death when Chester or Elphick try and play football. I know Smith wants ball playing centre halves but those two aren't the players to do it.

I really do wish they'd do what they are good at and not stand either side of the box at every goal kick. I get every club id trying this Man city nonsense but you really need footballers to play from the back.

We only have one midfielder who can bring the ball out let alone a defender .

But what if you believe he isn't the calibre to move us forward? Why waste money on another average manager bringing in their average players? It seems to me that DS gets so much support because he is a Villa fan. I worry about the next 12 months, I hope I'm wrong I want him to succeed, as I want any manager to, I just have this feeling of the emporers new clothes.

I Know exactly where you’re coming from but you can see what Smith is demanding of his players from the second half performance and several other performances since he came. The squad he has inherited is by and large average, good on paper crap on pitch.
As for buying, there is a structure in place to make sure we don’t make the same mistakes again though I have to say Kalinic and Hause don’t exactly inspire me with confidence. We need players for now like McGinn, not potential.

Let's talk about transfers, and I know it's early doors but the signs to me are worrying, DS spent 7million( yes that's seven) on a goalkeeper for the championship, who has had at best a rocky start. That is an enormous fee for a club that is hard up to ffp limits and with many other positions that need filling. Does he look like 7 million pounds worth of keeper?

True, and I hope I'm wrong and all goes well at the club, personally I feel we have another false dawn on our hands.

This is becoming groundhog day I'm afraid folks, same players same performances and no win, Strange that! May have scored some a bit high because we didn't actually lose.

Kalinic: 6 A few flaps one good save and one goal seemed to go through him from where I was. At least he's no worrying me.

Hutton: 5 set up a goal but otherwise very average,

Elphick:5 I bet he wishes he'd stayed at Hull.

Chester:5 One brilliant clearance but he isn't playing well.

Taylor:4 Better than last week but still looks like a rabbit in the headlights when the ball comes near him.

Stato: 4 Playing the defensive role got his assist, from one of numerous free kicks, Couldn't catch up with play until it stopped!

Albert:4 lost his way hasn't he.

SJM: 7 Guess what he was the best player on the field, Game after game he never stops.

Barney:4 Played further forwards but did nothing of note. Anonymous

Tammy:7 Ran SJM close as the only other player who seemed to want to win,. Scored again. Tried hard to motivate his teammates.

Bo lazy: 3 Needs to go back to Everton now. That's me being kind.

Subs:

Green:5 Big improvement on Bolasie but even I would have been,

ElGhazi:5 What a frustrating player he is brilliant skills but so hit and miss.

Koj:5 Came on and tried but tried too much at times, he must be so frustrated watching this lot.

Coach: Smith 4 picked the same losers as at Wigan and expected different, they played like they wanted him out.

There is a lot of sense being discussed on here. Does anyone remember how we kicked off yesterday? It was incredible. Ball to Bolassie and he ran it straight out. It was so bad I think I laughed in disbelief. Then the passing around the back for 20 mins was amazing too, it seriously looked like they didn’t really know what to do, but can you blame them when the midfield didn’t really want it? It was a case of pass the ball and run away. I thought CH was terrible yesterday, he would be better against a different kind of opposition, less physical than Hull. Whatever DS is trying to achieve, it’s not working with this lot. Give him time though, I’m sure he’ll improve us.

I think it’s a bit early to be criticising Smith, nothing to do with him being a villa fan but because he has only been here a few months. I wasn’t convinced when we got him but I’ll support him until the end of the season at least

Everyone slags Hourihane off, and yes he was poor in the second half, but anyone watching that game must surely realise he is far better than Bjarnasson? 55% pass accuracy, no tackles won, 4 fouls conceded, no shots on target.. it sums him up, he is a poor player

FYI Hourihane had 82% accuracy and completed more passes than anyone else and got an assist- I am not saying he played well but he is far from being our worst player

Bjarnasson was the worst player on the pitch yesterday by a country mile and that took some doing. Hourihane wasn’t great but it makes no sense to me playing him in front of the back 4. He’s the 2nd biggest goal threat in the team and we’ve moved him into a deep midfield position where he can’t often get involved around the box.

I think it’s a bit early to be criticising Smith, nothing to do with him being a villa fan but because he has only been here a few months. I wasn’t convinced when we got him but I’ll support him until the end of the season at least

We have got to give him till this time next season at the minimum if we are going to see what he wants to do

We’re a team that’s conceded 45 goals, relegation figures, so I know it’s stating the obvious that it’s going to be hard to win matches.

Yep incredible isn't it
15 home games (inc the cup)
3 clean sheets but then 11 games 2+ conceded (including the last 7 in a row)

We're a bit better away but even then it's only 3 clean sheets.

No chance with the amount of gifts we give away

The problem for Smith is that he needs some good results soon otherwise if the fans get on his back it will be very difficult to get them back.
The yardstick for him is the playoffs as that is what Bruce managed and anything less will be considered as failure by many.
The rumbles of discontentment are there already so soon into his tenure and these need to be quelled to avoid the inevitable.

Bjarnasson was the worst player on the pitch yesterday by a country mile and that took some doing. Hourihane wasn’t great but it makes no sense to me playing him in front of the back 4. He’s the 2nd biggest goal threat in the team and we’ve moved him into a deep midfield position where he can’t often get involved around the box.

He played further up the pitch against Wigan and never got a kick of the ball . So Smith has switched him and Barney back which didn't work either .

He played further up the pitch against Wigan and never got a kick of the ball . So Smith has switched him and Barney back which didn't work either .

I dont think half the team had a kick at Wigan. I know you dont like Hourihane but apart from Abraham he is the next most likely player to score.

I made the point last week that it doesn't matter who out of Barney , Hourihane , Whelan plays and in what position , the result is the same because they are all the same style of player.

The balance of the squad is all wrong.