Tottenham fans are constantly told their team must win something... but there is a bigger picture that is too frequently overlooked within football | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tottenham fans are constantly told their team must win something... but there is a bigger picture that is too frequently overlooked within football

If 'too easily please' means not jumping up and down and stamping my feet every time we lose then your right
If 'too easily please' means recognising the fact that we are competing against teams with double our budget then I'm certainly guilty.
If 'too easily please' means recognising that we have had 14 players on the treatment table in the first 3 months of the season, anyone that can't see that those injuries may impact performance clearly doesn't understand the importance of continuity.
If 'too easily please' means recognising that having 9 players in WC later stages which mean they have had little rest.
If 'too easily please' means that playing away from home all season may also impact performance, again I'm guilty.
I'm pleading guilty as well . I have no defence against any of the " too easily pleased" ( or should that be " being a realist ") charges

If 'too easily please' means not jumping up and down and stamping my feet every time we lose then your right
If 'too easily please' means recognising the fact that we are competing against teams with double our budget then I'm certainly guilty.
If 'too easily please' means recognising that we have had 14 players on the treatment table in the first 3 months of the season, anyone that can't see that those injuries may impact performance clearly doesn't understand the importance of continuity.
If 'too easily please' means recognising that having 9 players in WC later stages which mean they have had little rest.
If 'too easily please' means that playing away from home all season may also impact performance, again I'm guilty.

And before that?

Choking in games that cost us the title and cup finals?

Nah, just excuses for a team that should be winning things.

As for the injuries and WC, totally predictable and the club did nothing and fans called it a great window?

Some people just refuse to acknowledge the progress we've made, that is their right of course. It's just disappointing that those of us that recognise that we have made top four three years on the trot, and appreciate the tremendous effort made by a young team and our manager are viewed as easily pleased. But for me the word support means exactly that, for me constantly criticising the team or anyone for that matter is destructive.

I actually think the larger percentage of us ARE behind the Club 100% of the time, and any perceived negativity is borne from frustration.

You see Top, many of us can accept that we won't win every game, we won't win silverware this year or next, but what we want to see (whilst we are not winning comps or cups) is the football that we, Tottenham Hotspur FC, are famous for. Nice flowing clinical stylish football.

That football style that used to grace many pitches week in week out, has been missing for quite some time now. We have a few players that can produce that "style", but thanks to a pedestrian midfield that has slowly crept into our game, our image has changed.

This is why we are an easy target for pundits and opposition fans. Deep down, everyone knows that Spurs have the potential to win almost anything, but unfortunately we've struggled with the balance of business V football success.

I think Top and a few others are mistaking unrealistic expectation among fans, for true passion.

I don't know anybody that does this: "jumping up and down and stamping my feet every time we lose".

Once again, the passionate ones just want to see that Poch has done his due diligence, fields the right squad, adopts tactics that will allow us to play "our game" break down deferences, and just play good attractive football. If we tick all the boxes, then most of us can accept we were beaten by the better prepared team on the day.

If we don't, then in comes the frustrations and finger pointing, and questions of why didn't we do this or that.

Quite normal if you ask me.

And before that?

Choking in games that cost us the title and cup finals?

Nah, just excuses for a team that should be winning things.

As for the injuries and WC, totally predictable and the club did nothing and fans called it a great window?

don't recall a single person calling it a great window but everyone thought at the very least Rose, Dembele and Toby were off and we're obviously stronger with them than without. Also kept Eriksen, Dele and Kane despite supposed approaches from bigger teams... Easy to view that as glass half full when you consider the alternative of having lost key players and needing to rebuild completely.

I actually think the larger percentage of us ARE behind the Club 100% of the time, and any perceived negativity is borne from frustration.

You see Top, many of us can accept that we won't win every game, we won't win silverware this year or next, but what we want to see (whilst we are not winning comps or cups) is the football that we, Tottenham Hotspur FC, are famous for. Nice flowing clinical stylish football.

That football style that used to grace many pitches week in week out, has been missing for quite some time now. We have a few players that can produce that "style", but thanks to a pedestrian midfield that has slowly crept into our game, our image has changed.

This is why we are an easy target for pundits and opposition fans. Deep down, everyone knows that Spurs have the potential to win almost anything, but unfortunately we've struggled with the balance of business V football success.

I think Top and a few others are mistaking unrealistic expectation among fans, for true passion.

I don't know anybody that does this: "jumping up and down and stamping my feet every time we lose".

Once again, the passionate ones just want to see that Poch has done his due diligence, fields the right squad, adopts tactics that will allow us to play "our game" break down deferences, and just play good attractive football. If we tick all the boxes, then most of us can accept we were beaten by the better prepared team on the day.

If we don't, then in comes the frustrations and finger pointing, and questions of why didn't we do this or that.

Quite normal if you ask me.

Appreciate both sides are generalising but you seem to be implying the more positive posters are less passionate which is nonsense.

Also if you've never seen the same people crawl out the woodwork every time we lose or draw to stamp their feet you've clearly not been paying attention. They are definitely the minority, but they do tend to be very vocal whenever a game doesn't go to plan.

Appreciate both sides are generalising but you seem to be implying the more positive posters are less passionate which is nonsense.

Also if you've never seen the same people crawl out the woodwork every time we lose or draw to stamp their feet you've clearly not been paying attention. They are definitely the minority, but they do tend to be very vocal whenever a game doesn't go to plan.

Who has been conspicuous by their absence on the spam thread ?

What comforts me is when the "big money" clubs spend the fortunes and make statements like this.

“They had Gonzalo Higuaín, Mario Mandzukic, Dybala and want more. They want Cristiano Ronaldo. They had Andrea Barzagli, Giorgio Chiellini, Daniele Rugani – they are not happy, they want more, they want Leonardo Bonucci and they go for the best players in the world. So: big club with a big past but with also a big desire to have a big future.”

That's Mourinho after spending £400m in 5 transfer windows and sitting 8th in the Prem after losing at home to Juve. He then follows up with this.

“To go to the Juventus level? Barcelona level? Real Madrid level? Manchester City level? How can you reach this level? Yes by buying the best players. It is not easy because many of the players they belong to these top teams, so we work with what we have and we try to improve with what we have."

Just puts into perspective what it means to be a Spurs fan !!!

Winning a trophy is the next step. Poch has said so numerous times over the lat two years.

Why do people think he is becoming more pissed off in press conferences these days? He is frustrated about our transfer policy and knows deep down he should have won us a trophy with the players he has had at his disposal.

There was similar talk when Harry was here. He had the players to win a trophy. Then fans would say but look how far we have progressed? At least we are nearly there. Funny enough Harry now says not winning a trophy with the players we had is one of his annoyances in life. I saw him do a talk a few weeks back. It bugs him greatly.

Only so long a club can just diver around the CL places and not win a trophy before fans get annoyed.

We have had some of the best players in Europe at our disposal over the last 3 and a half years. If we had a squad of players like we did in the early/mid 00's I think pretty much everyone would be fine with were we are.

Like it or not on the pitch we have not moved forward as a team in the last two seasons. We have gone from 2nd with 86 points, playing some excellent football and having the best spine in the league.

Two years later we are seeing a disorganised team, that barley presses anymore, looking disinterested and disorganised. We have most of our best players run into the ground, some are coming towards the end of their careers. The squad is unbalanced and quite a few of our squad players don't fit the system.

We have missed opportunities in the transfer market time and time again under ENIC. I can't see that ever changing. Why would it after 20 years? There is always an excuse when they fail in the transfer market and I'm sick of it.

At least Levy and Poch's hands are forced in the coming transfer windows. Doing nothing was a viable, but wrong, choice in the summer. It won't be the case when players start leaving of their own accord and we're down to 17 or 18 players.

Then instead of ongoing evolution of the squad over multiple windows, we'll be making wholesale changes in a single summer. To make the budget work, it will also make Poch think harder about which youngsters will make up the numbers. At some stage, a bunch of guys like Eriksen, Lamela, Davies, Dele, Dier, Winks, Kane have been the U21 free-picks in the senior squad. We had 21/22 senior pro's at the club and the rest were made up by exciting, talented youngsters that became regular first teamers. Poch has done an amazing job nurturing them whilst getting the best out of Toby, Vertonghen, Dembele etc in the spine.

In my opinion he needs to get back to that. We need to do it the Spurs way, and not delude ourselves that we will spend a small fortune on new players. We can still spend within our means and should focus in on the younger player purchases like Sanchez where there's raw ingredients and something for Poch to work with. It's then about integrating guys like Skipp into the squad like he did with Winks by clearing out Mason, Paulinho, Capoue, Stambouli etc.

Said this many times, but Poch needs to navigate us through this season with the current squad and then get back to being ruthless like he was when he first joined. Just ask his former captain Kaboul !!

I agree. If the likes of Wanyama and Rose in current recurring injury phase were here when he joined he'd have axed them regardless of loss. We should definitely have invested better in some areas but the fact is we're nowhere near able to invest the equivalent of what United or City do so we'll always spend less and most likely get less as a result. For this reason I admire the stance of waiting for the right players sometimes and trusting our current ones to do a better job than a 3rd choice from elsewhere, but we can all name players we could have got who would have improved us so it's a scouting failure too. We'll probably always have to box clever to a degree, and be working a version of the buy young potential and promote from within model that got us where we are.

Another problem though is that some of our best youth propsects are all leaving. The path to the first team is much harder now there's the pressure of being a CL side. Poch isn't giving a shot to the next Masons, Bentalebs & Carrols in order to find the next Winks so they're all leaving for easier paths to first team action.

Every summer I would say at least 20 players are touted on here as players we should get, maybe 12 to 13 probably move to other clubs.
Out of that probably 4 to 5 shine, and for the next 6 months all we hear is 'we should have bought that player' Funny that no one mentions the 8 or 9 players that turn out to be duds.

I was working in Millbank the season we went down, under Burkinshaw, I went to virtually every home game that season, I met a guy from Glasgow I knew from work there purely by chance, he was a Celtic supporter, and when I asked him why he was coming to The Lane he told me he'd been round all the teams in London and Spurs were the ones that played the most exciting football, no matter that we lost more than we won, we had Alfie Conn, Glen Hoddle, Pat Jennings, Steve Perryman, Ralph Coates, John Gorman amongst others, so it wasn't a bad team/squad. But we had lost Chivers, Peters, England and Gilzean who were the spine of the previous season's team.
I remember Hoddle, almost right in front of me, trapped in the corner by the flag, facing it, three opposing players blocking him in, right on him, he had no room to move or barely breath, so what does he do, he juggles the ball on his foot, kicks it over his and their heads, WALKS through those three players, catches it on his foot before it hits the ground and off he went.
I also remember Alfie Conn doing the Klinnsman splash dive when we scored.
We had some exciting players back then and played good looking football but still went down. Then we went on to win three cups in 81 and 2. So all is not doom, gloom and despondency as some would have it. We just play horrible looking football and have got pretty much as boring as Le Arse of late, but I am sure that once we have everyone fit, are in the new stadium and have a couple of good signings in January we will be playing nice exciting, attractive football again.

Some great nostalgia there Chris. You're right we did play some exciting football then and Glenn wow what a player, he did some breath-taking things. Alfie, with his long hair and skinny frame was a fiery character but could play too, another player worthy of mention was Neil McNab.
Maybe you can help me out here, when Stevie picked up the cup in 81, he uttered some words as he lifted the trophy. I think he said "we've proved it"? It is something I often speculated but never had confirmed.

Every summer I would say at least 20 players are touted on here as players we should get, maybe 12 to 13 probably move to other clubs.
Out of that probably 4 to 5 shine, and for the next 6 months all we hear is 'we should have bought that player' Funny that no one mentions the 8 or 9 players that turn out to be duds.

Great post.....so true. Also think as fans we sometimes think like a Prem team and not think like a Top 4 side when speculating on potential signings. It's almost blind optimism that these players will make the step up.

Great post.....so true. Also think as fans we sometimes think like a Prem team and not think like a Top 4 side when speculating on potential signings. It's almost blind optimism that these players will make the step up.
I think it is difficult to buy top class prospects now as all the major European teams are trying to do the same thing..De Light? From Ajax being a case in point...players of that calibre will only come if they are going to be playing regularly and if their agents can’t find a more lucrative financial package, usually for themselves. Getting Sanchez was brilliant but I wouldn’t rely on repeating that type of deal too often..that then puts the onus on finding and developing our own youngsters and I’m not sure our scouting and development team are good enough for the job...we have Skipp and Amos looking promising, Foyth was bought in while already playing regular first team football in Argentina and I’m surprised he was prepared to wait so long for chances to play, but beyond that I don’t know.

Gotta hand it to you Top...I didn't know you could get a normally sized article into the thread title. If Welshtel finds out we're pretty much fucked.[/QUOTE. Hoy, I heard that ‘80’. That’s taking liberties! At least I don’t post articles the size of the tabloids. Do you and ‘EX’ have a competition to see who can write the longest posts? You need to take up authoring you two do.

don't recall a single person calling it a great window but everyone thought at the very least Rose, Dembele and Toby were off and we're obviously stronger with them than without. Also kept Eriksen, Dele and Kane despite supposed approaches from bigger teams... Easy to view that as glass half full when you consider the alternative of having lost key players and needing to rebuild completely.

Sorry I missed this.

There was/is section of fans that think it was a great window as we kept everyone, This is of course rubbish - they are the same ones that can’t see the first 11 can’t be improved - even the squad which we both know is rubbish.

I would actually trust the view on players and who we should sign of every single poster on here ahead of our current recruitment team.

I think it is difficult to buy top class prospects now as all the major European teams are trying to do the same thing..De Light? From Ajax being a case in point...players of that calibre will only come if they are going to be playing regularly and if their agents can’t find a more lucrative financial package, usually for themselves. Getting Sanchez was brilliant but I wouldn’t rely on repeating that type of deal too often..that then puts the onus on finding and developing our own youngsters and I’m not sure our scouting and development team are good enough for the job...we have Skipp and Amos looking promising, Foyth was bought in while already playing regular first team football in Argentina and I’m surprised he was prepared to wait so long for chances to play, but beyond that I don’t know.

Thing is, you know with Spurs that unless we get them really early like we did with Sanchez and Foyth, we probably miss the boat. Once the players are more in the spotlight we stand very little chance of signing them. It doesn't take long to go from relatively unknown to highly sought after and we are priced out.

That would currently apply to De Ligt, De Jong, Sessegnon, Neves, Pulisic, Ndombele etc. I see Liverpool are trying to get Nicolo Barella, the new name in the mix as well. I'd be surprised if we ever see any of them in a Spurs shirt.

Our best bet in January is to try and sign closer to home players like Wan-Bissaka and leave him at his current club until the summer.

Some great nostalgia there Chris. You're right we did play some exciting football then and Glenn wow what a player, he did some breath-taking things. Alfie, with his long hair and skinny frame was a fiery character but could play too, another player worthy of mention was Neil McNab.
Maybe you can help me out here, when Stevie picked up the cup in 81, he uttered some words as he lifted the trophy. I think he said "we've proved it"? It is something I often speculated but never had confirmed.
I really couldn't say for sure mate, but I could watch this replay over and over again.
What a sound from the supporters eh.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FB5F2C2E3FC81A9019ECFB5F2C2E3FC8&&FORM=VRDGAR