Tottenham fans are constantly told their team must win something... but there is a bigger picture that is too frequently overlooked within football | Page 3 | Vital Football

Tottenham fans are constantly told their team must win something... but there is a bigger picture that is too frequently overlooked within football

Talking of cups, I can't believe we are being asked to play M City on Monday and W.H. in the cup on Wednesday. For me it would be a miracle if we win, how can anyone think this is fair. Yet another example of Sky taking liberties with us, this is as bad as making us play on Monday three weeks running of a title run in.
One miracle, delivered.

We may talk on here but it's what the club does that indicates where we are. How many actual firm bids did the club put in ? I know of Grealish of course. He ain't exactly pulling trees up for Villa this season by the way.

Sanchez is our most expensive signing and he is good but not the finished article. How much would we need to spend to get a finished article in the positions we need ? Striker....scary, playmaker....scary , keeper.....probably more than Sanchez, LB....like hens teeth these days.

We may talk on here but it's what the club does that indicates where we are. How many actual firm bids did the club put in ? I know of Grealish of course. He ain't exactly pulling trees up for Villa this season by the way.

Sanchez is our most expensive signing and he is good but not the finished article. How much would we need to spend to get a finished article in the positions we need ? Striker....scary, playmaker....scary , keeper.....probably more than Sanchez, LB....like hens teeth these days.
Honestly haven't kept up with Grealish lately, but assume that if he was the kind of player who'd be making a great impact for us now, I'd have been hard-pressed to avoid hearing about it. He seemed overpriced for a cup player.

What comforts me is when the "big money" clubs spend the fortunes and make statements like this.

“They had Gonzalo Higuaín, Mario Mandzukic, Dybala and want more. They want Cristiano Ronaldo. They had Andrea Barzagli, Giorgio Chiellini, Daniele Rugani – they are not happy, they want more, they want Leonardo Bonucci and they go for the best players in the world. So: big club with a big past but with also a big desire to have a big future.”

That's Mourinho after spending £400m in 5 transfer windows and sitting 8th in the Prem after losing at home to Juve. He then follows up with this.

“To go to the Juventus level? Barcelona level? Real Madrid level? Manchester City level? How can you reach this level? Yes by buying the best players. It is not easy because many of the players they belong to these top teams, so we work with what we have and we try to improve with what we have."

Just puts into perspective what it means to be a Spurs fan !!!
Honestly haven't kept up with Grealish lately, but assume that if he was the kind of player who'd be making a great impact for us now, I'd have been hard-pressed to avoid hearing about it. He seemed overpriced for a cup player.

I bet he regrets not pushing for the move now. His form has dropped massively. He wasn't even that good last season by the way.

Appreciate both sides are generalising but you seem to be implying the more positive posters are less passionate which is nonsense.

Also if you've never seen the same people crawl out the woodwork every time we lose or draw to stamp their feet you've clearly not been paying attention. They are definitely the minority, but they do tend to be very vocal whenever a game doesn't go to plan.

Take from my post what you will.

You're a metaphor for modern society these days. Focusing on the minority.

I really couldn't say for sure mate, but I could watch this replay over and over again.
What a sound from the supporters eh.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FB5F2C2E3FC81A9019ECFB5F2C2E3FC8&&FORM=VRDGAR

Thanks for the link, I never get tired of watching details from '81, that team played some spectacular football and had so much natural talent. Even with inevitable injuries we had the luxury of having a player as good as Micky Hazard, on the bench to come in and not weaken the team. I remember the citeh boss John Bond saying at the time, he would travel to some distant destination to watch our '81 team play. Yeah great sound from our supporters including 'We'll take good care of you Archibald, Archibald....'. Never get tired of that either.

Last edited:
Honestly, "remember how shit we were in XYZ" is the worst argument.

Remember how we used to win trophies?

Our fan base is too easy to please.

Or, it's an innate sense of realism and commonsense - Spurs fans more than any other fans I've met understand the impact of the financial chasm that exists between us and our peers.

There are many reasons for that (some would say excuses) but our balance sheet is now a billion, with net debt of around 350 mill - we are (FINALLY) ideally placed to be both a footballing force and a financial force in the PL.

I'm completely optimistic that our future is one where we are regularly competing for Trophies, no matter who's the head coach/manager.

Poch's era may well be coming to a close - only he can decide that and if he decides to stay, he needs to STFU with the ambiguous negative commentary he's allowed himself to place in an attempt to maneuver his availability.

I hope that Levy and the board have made it clear, he is not irreplaceable.

I actually think the larger percentage of us ARE behind the Club 100% of the time, and any perceived negativity is borne from frustration.

You see Top, many of us can accept that we won't win every game, we won't win silverware this year or next, but what we want to see (whilst we are not winning comps or cups) is the football that we, Tottenham Hotspur FC, are famous for. Nice flowing clinical stylish football.

That football style that used to grace many pitches week in week out, has been missing for quite some time now. We have a few players that can produce that "style", but thanks to a pedestrian midfield that has slowly crept into our game, our image has changed.

This is why we are an easy target for pundits and opposition fans. Deep down, everyone knows that Spurs have the potential to win almost anything, but unfortunately we've struggled with the balance of business V football success.

I think Top and a few others are mistaking unrealistic expectation among fans, for true passion.

I don't know anybody that does this: "jumping up and down and stamping my feet every time we lose".

Once again, the passionate ones just want to see that Poch has done his due diligence, fields the right squad, adopts tactics that will allow us to play "our game" break down deferences, and just play good attractive football. If we tick all the boxes, then most of us can accept we were beaten by the better prepared team on the day.

If we don't, then in comes the frustrations and finger pointing, and questions of why didn't we do this or that.

Quite normal if you ask me.
10......I understand what you are saying ,but the paragraph that starts with " once again ,the passionate ones .........."sums up the whole gist of the thread in my opinion .
Do you not think that the opposition manager does exactly the same due diligence or is it assumed that they will just turn up and play exactly the same eleven ,in exactly the same formation with the same formation every week.
It's in these circumstances that the "sing when we're winning brigade "do not accept that we were beaten by the better prepared team on the day .
Some teams are
A) prepared to kick the shit out of anybody , cheat ,dive and adopt any tactic in the dark arts book ,.........which we don't do
whilst others
B) have a whole array of CL experienced talent that are paid a fortune to not expect a game every week ........which we don't have ,either the players or the money
If your paragraph was true , we would all be singing from the same song sheet . IMHO

Or, it's an innate sense of realism and commonsense - Spurs fans more than any other fans I've met understand the impact of the financial chasm that exists between us and our peers.

There are many reasons for that (some would say excuses) but our balance sheet is now a billion, with net debt of around 350 mill - we are (FINALLY) ideally placed to be both a footballing force and a financial force in the PL.

I'm completely optimistic that our future is one where we are regularly competing for Trophies, no matter who's the head coach/manager.

Poch's era may well be coming to a close - only he can decide that and if he decides to stay, he needs to STFU with the ambiguous negative commentary he's allowed himself to place in an attempt to maneuver his availability.

I hope that Levy and the board have made it clear, he is not irreplaceable.

Ex, how is our balance sheet £1 billion with net debts of £350 million...is that based upon the theoretical estimate of the value of the new stadium on the credit side? And how will we be a financial force in the epl when our transfer policy will not change ie: self funding from sales?

Ex, how is our balance sheet £1 billion with net debts of £350 million...is that based upon the theoretical estimate of the value of the new stadium on the credit side? And how will we be a financial force in the epl when our transfer policy will not change ie: self funding from sales?

I think alot of fans simply missed this announcement - but it is exactly in line with my expectations and what I've said here many many times over the last 12-24 months - the addition of the financial clarity was in response to ill-informed and speculative nonsensical commentary from sections of the media and I'm told also multiplied and effectively and supposedly misquoted by some social media sources, anyway the key section in the statement is below - but I'd also like to add one further thing; from what I have seen the additional revenues from the new stadium could after three years reach as much as £200 mill a year - yes, 200 mill !!!

That's why we could be in a position in the foreseeable future to compete with anyone; the board, better than anyone understand the impact of commercial sponsorship deals but above all, also know the value of having the 'right' ones - and it's my absolute firm belief that this is well on the way to happening - of course, I have to declare that I know many in the commercial side at Spurs and my judgement may well be coloured by their unbridled optimism in what's happening now and will happen in the near future.

Financial Update
The Club continues to operate on a sensible financial basis in order to take a long-term view for the benefit of current as well as future generations of Tottenham Hotspur fans.

The Club’s investment over recent years in facilities has resulted in total gross tangible assets at 30 June, 2018, in excess of £1bn - facilities which include the Training Centre, the new Players’ Lodge, Percy House, home of the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, Lilywhite House Club offices, new retail warehouse, new Paxton House Ticket Office and now the new stadium along with the newly-opened Spurs Shop – the largest football club store in Europe - plus other property assets.
These investments have been financed by funds from the Club and bank finance, principally from Bank of America Merrill Lynch International, Goldman Sachs Bank USA and HSBC Bank plc (“Banking Partners”) who have provided a development facility of up to £637m. At 30 June, 2018, the Club had net debt of £366m.

This level of investment by the Club has been made possible by record revenues of £381m and profit from operations before football trading, depreciation, interest, tax and exceptional items of £163m for the year to 30 June, 2018. Trading for the current year will, however, be impacted by the additional costs of Wembley and the delay to the opening of the new stadium.

Working with our Banking Partners and our financial advisor, Rothschild & Co, we shall be converting this development facility, which currently expires in April 2022, into notes with a mixture of debt maturities.
The residual amount of gross debt to be converted or extinguished will depend on a number of factors including several commercial discussions.

In recent months we have secured an extended agreement with Nike up to 2033, one of the longest football club deals in Nike’s history. We have also announced a number of new brand partners including, amongst several others, Audi, IWC Schaffhausen, HPE and EA SPORTS.

An addition to the above, when the project is completely finished it could have project finance of up to 500 mill - but knowing what I believe I know could happen, I think it's a red herring for people who don't understand the corporate placing moves the club / Enic will make that will both take some money off the table and to significantly reduce debt.

250-300 mill over 20/25 years is around 20-25 mill a year in repayments - or less (depending on structure and debt rating).

We're in amazing shape, all we have to do now is remain patient.

The naysayers need to understand our current and projected finances before taking any more cheap shots.

Last edited:
For those that missed it, the statement in full:

Club Statement – New Stadium and Financial Update
26 October 2018|Tottenham Hotspur

New stadium
Since we last provided an update on the progress of the new stadium on 3 September, 2018, we have been working hard with the contractors involved in the critical safety systems.
Key contractors involved in the mechanical, electrical and safety systems are being supported with external resources and closely monitored by our construction manager, Mace.
Chairman Daniel Levy said: “There isn't an hour that goes by when I am not asked when we will be able to stage our first game at our new home.
“I wish I was able to confirm an exact opening date and fixture. However, in light of factors completely outside of our control, contractors missing deadlines and possible future unforeseen issues, we are naturally being cautious in respect of our timetable for our test events and official opening game.
“Whilst we are conscious of the need to keep pressure on our contractors to deliver as soon as possible, we are also acutely aware of how difficult the lack of clarity is for you, our supporters, to plan around games, particularly those at Christmas and New Year.
“In light of the above, and taking into account the restricted availability of manpower over the festive period, we have taken the decision to confirm today that all home games will be played at Wembley Stadium up to and including the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on 29 December.
“We know the continued delay is a source of immense disappointment to everyone and I can only continue to apologise for this - it is a sentiment felt by all of us.
“We have not stood still whilst work on the critical safety systems has been happening and we have sought to use the time to bring forward future works.
“Our investment has been supported by over £100m investment in transport infrastructure which will see the stadium and the local area served by one of the best public transport networks in the country – facilitating the creation of a new sport, leisure and entertainment destination in London.
“The delay in the stadium opening has made it possible for some track and station improvements to be brought forward due to the fact that previously non-available construction dates have become available for works.
“We have no doubt when open that this stadium will be one of the finest in the world – a leading example of British research and development delivering engineering and technological firsts that will be showcased globally.
“I hope that the end result will be something that will make you proud.
“We shall look to update you again in early December.”
The Club will also be engaging with Wembley National Stadium Ltd and Brent Council regarding attendance capacities at Wembley Stadium for the forthcoming games.

Financial Update
The Club continues to operate on a sensible financial basis in order to take a long-term view for the benefit of current as well as future generations of Tottenham Hotspur fans.
The Club’s investment over recent years in facilities has resulted in total gross tangible assets at 30 June, 2018, in excess of £1bn - facilities which include the Training Centre, the new Players’ Lodge, Percy House, home of the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, Lilywhite House Club offices, new retail warehouse, new Paxton House Ticket Office and now the new stadium along with the newly-opened Spurs Shop – the largest football club store in Europe - plus other property assets.
These investments have been financed by funds from the Club and bank finance, principally from Bank of America Merrill Lynch International, Goldman Sachs Bank USA and HSBC Bank plc (“Banking Partners”) who have provided a development facility of up to £637m. At 30 June, 2018, the Club had net debt of £366m.
This level of investment by the Club has been made possible by record revenues of £381m and profit from operations before football trading, depreciation, interest, tax and exceptional items of £163m for the year to 30 June, 2018. Trading for the current year will, however, be impacted by the additional costs of Wembley and the delay to the opening of the new stadium.
Working with our Banking Partners and our financial advisor, Rothschild & Co, we shall be converting this development facility, which currently expires in April 2022, into notes with a mixture of debt maturities.
The residual amount of gross debt to be converted or extinguished will depend on a number of factors including several commercial discussions.
In recent months we have secured an extended agreement with Nike up to 2033, one of the longest football club deals in Nike’s history. We have also announced a number of new brand partners including, amongst several others, Audi, IWC Schaffhausen, HPE and EA SPORTS.

Looking forward
Chairman Daniel Levy said: “Our current position in the Premier League, a record start for the Club, is testament to the professionalism and positive approach of Mauricio, his staff and the players. They have made no excuses, focused on their games and made us all proud of this exceptional attitude.
“We also wish to express our gratitude to all the staff at the Club in going over and above to successfully oversee operations at three different venues this season.
“Additionally, we should like to thank our partners, our colleagues at the Premier League, our fellow Premier League clubs, the FA and also Wembley and Brent for hosting us.
“We are experiencing frustrating times - however every now and then someone reminds us of just what we have undertaken and achieved to date – and what this stadium will be like for generations to come – and that keeps us going. Thank you to all who have sent messages of encouragement. It is much appreciated by those involved in this challenging project.
“This is a stadium for another century and a few months’ delay will hopefully soon be forgotten when we proudly return home. Your continued patience, understanding and, above all, support for the First Team is invaluable.
“None of what we have achieved and are looking to achieve would be possible without you, our fans, and your immense loyalty. Thank you.”
A further announcement will be made on ticketing details for our forthcoming home matches in due course.

Wow read through the entire thread and have to say I have no idea what to add!

Guess I will hit on a couple things.:

-I support Spurs 100%. And I believe everyone on this site does as well and we all want nothing but the best for our team. The fun bit is we all have much different thoughts on how to get there...that is part of the fun.
-I love it when we win and am pissed when we lose. (and like everyone else, I am critical and like providing my feedback, both positive and negative, and the conversation that ensues.
-I think someone mentioned that the naysayers only come out when we are playing bad and are mysteriously non-existent when we are playing well. This may be true for some, but remember a ton of us on this forum are from all over the world which means the games come on at wildly different times. Hell most of the mid-week matches i am at work and trying to follow along on this forum on my crap work computer.

-I support Spurs 100%. And I believe everyone on this site does as well and we all want nothing but the best for our team. The fun bit is we all have much different thoughts on how to get there...that is part of the fun.
-I love it when we win and am pissed when we lose. (and like everyone else, I am critical and like providing my feedback, both positive and negative, and the conversation that ensues.
-I think someone mentioned that the naysayers only come out when we are playing bad and are mysteriously non-existent when we are playing well. This may be true for some, but remember a ton of us on this forum are from all over the world which means the games come on at wildly different times. Hell most of the mid-week matches i am at work and trying to follow along on this forum on my crap work computer.

Of course, I forgot sometimes it's not convenient to have a dig. I will remember that next time we win and the doomsters disappear. A simple explanation , why couldn't I see that.

To be honest, I'm amazed you get any access to here at all and it's not blocked by your security!!

An addition to the above, when the project is completely finished it could have project finance of up to 500 mill - but knowing what I believe I know could happen, I think it's a red herring for people who don't understand the corporate placing moves the club / Enic will make that will both take some money off the table and to significantly reduce debt.

250-300 mill over 20/25 years is around 20-25 mill a year in repayments - or less (depending on structure and debt rating).

We're in amazing shape, all we have to do now is remain patient.

The naysayers need to understand our current and projected finances before taking any more cheap shots.

Thanks for that EX.....it seems that a large part of the credit side of the balance sheet is in “tangible assets” which seem to be largely related to our training facilities and the new stadium, so how are these valued...is it just the value of the land they are built upon or projected income streams they could generate or is it just an accountant’s guesstimate to bulk up the balance sheet?

I don’t think the so called naysayers all disappear when we win, they just give praise when it is earned...it’s called balance.

Thanks for that EX.....it seems that a large part of the credit side of the balance sheet is in “tangible assets” which seem to be largely related to our training facilities and the new stadium, so how are these valued...is it just the value of the land they are built upon or projected income streams they could generate or is it just an accountant’s guesstimate to bulk up the balance sheet?

Just the value of the land/Buildings.

You can't bulk a balance sheet with projected revenue - if you could, corporate accounts would be an absolute nonsense!! - Although if listed t can partially equate to a PE valuation.

However, if I was buying the business, I would take it into account to probably arrive at an EV (Enterprise Value).

Our balance sheet is solid and based on strong assets, it was one of the things that impressed me when I saw the Rothschild Presentations.

If Enic Sold today, I suspect they'd be looking at a price between 1.5 and 2 billion.