Tottenham fans are constantly told their team must win something... but there is a bigger picture that is too frequently overlooked within football | Vital Football

Tottenham fans are constantly told their team must win something... but there is a bigger picture that is too frequently overlooked within football

Topspur1

Vital Football Legend
  • Tottenham consistently punch above their weight under Mauricio Pochettino
  • Their financial resources are far less than the teams' they are competing against
  • Pundits criticise the lack of spending but they are building an £800m stadium
  • Deputy Sports Editor Tim Nichols is a Spurs season ticket holder of 13 years
Tottenham have to win something. That’s what Spurs fans keep being told. On TV, in the papers, on the radio, you can’t escape it.

The lack of silverware — Spurs are on their longest trophy-less run since the Second World War — is always brought up by critics whenever the club, team or manager are given any praise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-told-team-win-bigger-picture-overlooked.html

I'm as frustrated as anyone at our lack of trophies, but I'm even more frustrated at the constant slagging of the club posters say they support and love. It would appear that many have forgotten our years of struggling just to make the UEFA cup, I would urge everyone to read the full article.
I suggest this in an attempt to get a bit of balance, in my heart I know it may be a futile effort but I feel balance is sorely needed.

Ultimately, our other choice is to benchmark ourselves against Everton, Villa, Newcastle etc. They were similar size clubs with the same opportunity Spurs had. I'm glad we don't though and see ourselves in the same peer group as the other 5 big clubs.

What will be interesting this season is our strategy on the 2 domestic cups. We've crashed and burned in the CL and may or may not drop into the Europa League. Whilst finishing top 4 will always be first priority, perhaps we can equip ourselves better for the FA and EFL cups.

Even on these pages on this site ,a100% Spurs site ( that's a laugh in itself)...........,there is the general perception by many that we have to win every game in every competition every week and when we don't , somebody is to blame ..........!!! somebody doesn't posses something or other to be that absolute perfect person who never makes a mistake . My dear grandad always used to say that you will never be perfect all the time you have a hole in your arse .
Journalists have to sell papers and we are an easy target , I get that .
I used to be a supporter of the the club as well as a fanatical follower ,a supporter in the sense that my money every week went into the clubs coffers for them to use as they saw fit .
These days I'm just a fan ( fanatical follower) that loves the club ,absolutely. No matter what . Win or lose ,rain or shine ,and believe me there have been a lot of losses on rainy days since the very early sixties . There have been a lot of good times too.
I have had a lot of laughs , been taken to the limits of delirium , and beaten to a pulp in foreign lands and at home .
What I do know is that everyone in this club tries their best , nobody goes out to come second in any race whether it has two or twenty other competitors .
Expectations are good but they have to be managed .
Great post Top.

Last edited:
Talking of cups, I can't believe we are being asked to play M City on Monday and W.H. in the cup on Wednesday. For me it would be a miracle if we win, how can anyone think this is fair. Yet another example of Sky taking liberties with us, this is as bad as making us play on Monday three weeks running of a title run in.

Walthy I too love the club and always will BUT as with many on here it is at times not the manner of the defeat it is the style of play that pisses me off...
I like others have sat and stood through the leaner years and relegation as well. Highs and lows and rollercoasters is and may always be our lot.

However for me if the price of our current consistent top4 position is to play slow tippy tappy backwards and sideways boring ineffective styles with possession being the main aim, then I will bemoan the result, style and disappointment.

I have always supported spurs and will continue to as it is in my blood, but I want to be excited and enthralled by passages of play that funnily enough we did see a few seasons ago. High tempo pace aggresssion, and real desire, I see no smiles on our players faces, no real delight, no joy ....it is if they have had all that knocked / trained out of them

This all translates to the supporters and terraces and sites such as this....come on if most of us on here are totally honest the current style is abysmal and bores one to death. The other night I was screaming at the TV when we had won free kicks in their half and then passed the ball backwards to build the slow labourious attack again...FFS where is the aggresssion?

I look forward to us LOOKING FORWARD, not backwards in our play again!

Last edited:
Talking of cups, I can't believe we are being asked to play M City on Monday and W.H. in the cup on Wednesday. For me it would be a miracle if we win, how can anyone think this is fair. Yet another example of Sky taking liberties with us, this is as bad as making us play on Monday three weeks running of a title run in.

To be fair Top, I'm fairly certain that the City game was scheduled to be on the weekend in the new stadium, but Wembley was pre booked for that NFL game so the City game had to be put back to Monday, nothing to do with Sky this time.

To be fair Top, I'm fairly certain that the City game was scheduled to be on the weekend in the new stadium, but Wembley was pre booked for that NFL game so the City game had to be put back to Monday, nothing to do with Sky this time.
You're right Chiv, I do recall now that you mention it.

Honestly, "remember how shit we were in XYZ" is the worst argument.

Remember how we used to win trophies?

Our fan base is too easy to please.

I think that ENIC have approached the development of the club back to front.....we can afford fantastic new training facilities, a new £800 million stadium but there is not the money to buy the best players and pay the top wages they demand.

Saying that the new stadium is key to delivering this is, by most financial commentators, a nonsense in that stadium revenues are a drop in the ocean as far as club funding is concerned...the real money is in sponsorship, and sponsors need something worth sponsoring, hence you build a winning team and formula, then you invest in stadiums, but of course the agenda from ENIC has been the exact opposite.

To say that the new stadium debt will not impact transfer funding is really just confirming that we will have to sell before we buy and salary offers will remain as they are....I don’t see any extra cash being made available beyond that as the huge debt has to be repaid.

Having said all that, I will continue to be a fan forever but will reserve the right to criticise rather than blindly accepting that everything is fine.

The new stadium plan predates gate receipts bordering on insignificant when compared to TV revenue. I know there are other benefits but it's unfortunate that getting the final cpo and getting the ball rolling on construction coincided with us playing our best football for decades at WHL. Being unbeaten at home for a season feels like a dream now - imagine if we'd just knocked the stadium idea on the head and focused solely on building corporate and TV revenues through investment in a winning team.

You're right Chiv, I do recall now that you mention it.
Yup. This one is 100% on us and the stadium not being ready.

The club even made the tickets cheaper to part compensate the shift from a Sunday to a Monday but still couldn't come close to a sell out.

Honestly, "remember how shit we were in XYZ" is the worst argument.

Remember how we used to win trophies?

Our fan base is too easy to please.
If 'too easily please' means not jumping up and down and stamping my feet every time we lose then your right
If 'too easily please' means recognising the fact that we are competing against teams with double our budget then I'm certainly guilty.
If 'too easily please' means recognising that we have had 14 players on the treatment table in the first 3 months of the season, anyone that can't see that those injuries may impact performance clearly doesn't understand the importance of continuity.
If 'too easily please' means recognising that having 9 players in WC later stages which mean they have had little rest.
If 'too easily please' means that playing away from home all season may also impact performance, again I'm guilty.

Good post but it's "too easy to please" or perhaps "too easily pleased"... I'd put it down to a typo but you repeated it a bunch of times lol

Gotta hand it to you Top...I didn't know you could get a normally sized article into the thread title. If Welshtel finds out we're pretty much fucked.

Walthy I too love the club and always will BUT as with many on here it is at times not the manner of the defeat it is the style of play that pisses me off...
I like others have sat and stood through the leaner years and relegation as well. Highs and lows and rollercoasters is and may always be our lot.

However for me if the price of our current consistent top4 position is to play slow tippy tappy backwards and sideways boring ineffective styles with possession being the main aim, then I will bemoan the result, style and disappointment.

I have always supported spurs and will continue to as it is in my blood, but I want to be excited and enthralled by passages of play that funnily enough we did see a few seasons ago. High tempo pace aggresssion, and real desire, I see no smiles on our players faces, no real delight, no joy ....it is if they have had all that knocked / trained out of them

This all translates to the supporters and terraces and sites such as this....come on if most of us on here are totally honest the current style is abysmal and bores one to death. The other night I was screaming at the TV when we had won free kicks in their half and then passed the ball backwards to build the slow labourious attack again...FFS where is the aggresssion?

I look forward to us LOOKING FORWARD, not backwards in our play again!

I was working in Millbank the season we went down, under Burkinshaw, I went to virtually every home game that season, I met a guy from Glasgow I knew from work there purely by chance, he was a Celtic supporter, and when I asked him why he was coming to The Lane he told me he'd been round all the teams in London and Spurs were the ones that played the most exciting football, no matter that we lost more than we won, we had Alfie Conn, Glen Hoddle, Pat Jennings, Steve Perryman, Ralph Coates, John Gorman amongst others, so it wasn't a bad team/squad. But we had lost Chivers, Peters, England and Gilzean who were the spine of the previous season's team.
I remember Hoddle, almost right in front of me, trapped in the corner by the flag, facing it, three opposing players blocking him in, right on him, he had no room to move or barely breath, so what does he do, he juggles the ball on his foot, kicks it over his and their heads, WALKS through those three players, catches it on his foot before it hits the ground and off he went.
I also remember Alfie Conn doing the Klinnsman splash dive when we scored.
We had some exciting players back then and played good looking football but still went down. Then we went on to win three cups in 81 and 2. So all is not doom, gloom and despondency as some would have it. We just play horrible looking football and have got pretty much as boring as Le Arse of late, but I am sure that once we have everyone fit, are in the new stadium and have a couple of good signings in January we will be playing nice exciting, attractive football again.

Maybe we should put in a million pound bid for Andy Carroll ,just lump it up to him ,no more tippy tappy midfield dross ,we wônt need midfielders , get in Usain Bolt and the title is ours. FFS, aggression and excitement in one fell swoop and almost bugger all spent .
Get rid of Poch ,bring in Fat Sam .simples .
Jumpers for goalposts and I'm joining Topspurs gang .
I'm all for anyone having a constructive criticism where it's deserved .............at least get behind the club at some time during the season