QPR v Aston Villa, Friday 26th Oct. 7:45pm kick off | Page 24 | Vital Football

QPR v Aston Villa, Friday 26th Oct. 7:45pm kick off

I get all the posts trying to put a positive spin on things and for sure don't expect overnight miracles, BUT after the massive show of support against Swansea and the very welcome victory, it was of the utmost importance to get a point out out of each the subsequent 2 away games, just remain undefeated, but this aspiration has been blown out of the water in a most unsatisfactory manner

Yeah I get what you are saying. I worry how this start will effect things longer term . There needed to be a couple of wins from these games.

But we have to keep bringing it back to the mish mash of a squad Smith has been left with.
Dodgy goal keeper, old past it players in defence and midfield, loanees young and old all over the pitch, loanee who has been long term injured just thrown into a new club to complete his recovery, midfielders and strikers that were superb for their previous clubs for a relatively short time but deemed consistent enough to have millions spent on them whether they fitted in to whatever philosophy or style we were trying to achieve at that time.

This scatter gun approach since the takeover has cost us promotion this season and in truth will take a massive overhaul (again ffs!!!!) to get us sorted again

Some very interesting reflections on the thread tonight. I was at the game tonight and have to say that despite the disappointing result that was a whole lot better than all the away games thus far this season including the only win against Hull where we were bang average and much better than some of the utter tripe served up in many of the away games over the past two years. As I've posted before, my away record over the past few years has been simply horrendous, one win in over four years, but defeat tonight doesn't feel half as bad as many of those. Other than giving away possession so many times in the first half and giving away another poor goal, there were plenty of encouraging signs for me tonight. We haven't had the rub of the green in both away matches this week and we've got draws and indeed won a fair few playing a lot worse over the past two years. Results will come. We just need to be patient.

Again I agree 100% .Smith has ahd about 4-5 training sessions witht he squad and already I can see signs of improvement. The movement off the ball tonight was miles better than anything we have seen for a long time. We dominated that game and with a bit more care and composure would have won that in a hack canter. I have seen some comments on here tonight saying we were shit etc , and can't beleive they were watching the same game.

Poor poor goal to give away and at the game it looked like Chester was at fault to me.

Can't wait until next Friday when the players have had another 4 days training from the coaching staff.

Plenty of positives from tonight chaps.

I know we played qpr because you would recognise their famous shirt any where. Anyone switching on would wonder who the hell we were. Bring back the famous jersey with the blue sleeves. We are Aston Villa.
Like why did Atletico Madrid play in blue and white at Dortmund .... and got stuffed? There are forces at play here .... players should identify with a kit, be proud to wear it, all this bullshit about alternative kits when there is absolutely no clash is just wrong. Villa are claret and blue, qpr are blue and white hoops .... what muppet decides a kit change, anyway get back to claret and blue ffs

The thing I've noticed is, that Abraham doesn't actually look like a natural when it comes to goalscoring.
Again tonight, when in an excellent position in front of the goal and goalside of defenders, with the ball put in by McGinn curling towards him, he inexplicably decides to go for it with his right foot, which actually turned him around so his back was towards the goal. Needless to say, the ball went out for a goalkick.
I'm beginning to ask myself, which is the real Abraham, the scorer of 5 goals for Swansea or, the goal machine that played for Bristol.
The more I see of him, the more I think the real Abraham played for Swansea and the Bristol version was a fluke.

I've read a lot of criticism of Chester this season.
I just wish people would realise that for most of the season, he has had to play with a none defender as his partner. During that time he had to do his own job as well as try and cover for the mistakes and disappearances of his partner.
Now he has had to move across to play leftside, a position he isn't exactly comfortable in, to accommodate Tuanzebe. Who, by the way, I thought was capable of playing all across the back-line. Apparently not.

I have woken up thinking how the fcuk did we not score last night.

I woke up weds morning thinking we went down with a whimper against Norwich.

If you are going to lose there is a way to lose. Yes we lacked composure and were guilty of some awful finishing and crossing at times but the effort and desire was there to see . It many ways it was just one of those games. Shots on target that took little deflections that other times wrong foot the keeper, hitting the post, poor defensive mistake but punished immediately , other times we get away with it. If that game had gone on for another hour we still wouldn't have scored.
Abraham scores from 6 yards 5 mins into the second half , different game. Fine margins last night. And I will go back to my first line. Massively frustrating as it is because of the way we lost I'm not nearly as frustrated as I was Wednesday morning.

I have woken up thinking how the fcuk did we not score last night.

I woke up weds morning thinking we went down with a whimper against Norwich.

If you are going to lose there is a way to lose. Yes we lacked composure and were guilty of some awful finishing and crossing at times but the effort and desire was there to see . It many ways it was just one of those games. Shots on target that took little deflections that other times wrong foot the keeper, hitting the post, poor defensive mistake but punished immediately , other times we get away with it. If that game had gone on for another hour we still wouldn't have scored.
Abraham scores from 6 yards 5 mins into the second half , different game. Fine margins last night. And I will go back to my first line. Massively frustrating as it is because of the way we lost I'm not nearly as frustrated as I was Wednesday morning.

We have the makings of is very good side.

Bollassie looked about half a stone lighter and fitter after being dropped and bollocked by the gaffer. I honestly believe when this clicks and he finds his best side we will absolutely start hammering teams And on another day could’ve done so last night

Yes. You have to be balanced about what can be achieved.

He has taken over an immensely unbalanced squad. A squad that quite frankly under Bruce was lost. Not just us saying it but common consensus from pundits and ex legends alike was we had no plan, style or playing philosophy. We were a shambles. The points we did have apart from Hull and Rotherham were pretty unconvincing last minute jobs. Blackburn, Wigan, Brentford and errrr....Preston (shudders at the mention of that debacle).

In my opinion we are still a shambles but after last night, a shambles in transition. I keep saying it but there was no way any manager can wave a magic wand with this lot. Whoever came in. Talk of the international break as a great time for the new manager ?. Not really. Most of the squad away until a couple of days before the Swansea game. Then we go away on on a Tuesday and Friday night. That is not ideal at all and typical Avfc we play two of the fucking form teams in the league in those away games!
Bet if you asked Smith he wouldn't have wanted any games this last week . He would have wanted training only.
He has had no time at all on the training field. One day with the full squad before Swansea then recovery training then travelling. Big week this week at BH. Bet he can't wait to get our there.
And he has a hell of a job to sort out this mish mash of a squad left by Bruce and the new owners who have scatter gunned the approach after the get out of jail takeover 4 weeks before the season started. There was no plan because there can't have been . Because we thought we were going under and having to sell and probably not buy. It's hardly a wonder we are in this mess. This situation can be traced back to the final whistle at Wembley in May and the look on Dr X face said it all. The 4 week plan was to get in as many names and faces as we can regardless of the fit. It's flawed . It shows.

Time to get this right. This squad needs ripping (again) and the approach has to be buy to fit. And who we buy may well be players where we go , who the hell are they ???. But let's be honest we play teams regularly where we go , who the hell are they?,but continually get impressed . These big name players (Big for the championship) are targets for teams we play against who seem to love playing us to knock us down to size. We are a massive scalp still . It shows from teams performance against us.
Time to give a manager time to build properly. And it won't happen this season.
Norwich have allowed Farke to get things together . QPR had a shocking start . Scheteve has slowly worked it. And hate to mention it but our illustrious neighbours have allowed Monk to work and work and things have turned around and they can't even buy anyone!.
It's time for the new owners to lay it on the line and tell the fans that no matter the outcome this season we will stick with Smith and allow something that hasn't happened since we were relegated. That is to build a TEAM not a mish mash of loanees, old retired internationals, players who have had a decent half season with another club so they must be good, and big time charlies.
Mcginn is the start . That's the way to go .

Massive improvement in play and desire to go forward. Difficult to believe we didn't score given all the attacking intent. I'm sure he will try different options like starting with Bolassie. He has more options up front than at the back.
Under Bruce, opponents almost always looked to be the better team but here Villa looked a different class to QPR, albeit not the finished article.
Agree this kit thing is a negative for me. When GT arrived he got us playing in our traditional colours unless a clash.

We have a difficult run of games coming up. Derby, Forest, blues, Albion, Stoke, Leeds .

Maybe in a perverse way it will be better that the expectation will probably be on the other teams (apart from blues) due to their form and the bigger expectations on them as a club from their own fans. We seem to suffer from the 'lesser 'clubs we play substantially raising their games against us wanting to give us a bloody nose as the big boys.

How's that for straw clutching?

Sort the defence out in January and we'll be fine. We won't go up, but it will be the first step on the way to world domination.

I don't know whatI'd do about that defence but maybe putting Jedinak in front of them with McGinn and Grealish either side of him would give it a bit more solidity. Up front Kodjia in the middle with Bolasie and Elmo on either wing. D.S. has had a look at nearly all of them now, except, Jedi and Lansbury. For me McGinn has been the stand out player so far. Most of Bruce's buys have been disappointing but McGinn has been his one success.