The Jolley revolution | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Jolley revolution

Didn't Boston beat Barnet too?
Remember Kwiss announcing Barnet had lost just after Clive Evans popped with the winner against Stafford.

Your stats for Buckley are league games only, Scotimp, for example they don't include his time at Kettering - whilst your stats for Danny are nearly all non league ones.

OK, including Kettering (also including the awful GMAC Cup):

Buckley's managerial record:
P1209 W462 D413 L334
Win percentage: 38.21
Promotions: 3 (one every 403 games)
EFL Trophies: 1

Cowley's managerial record:
P566 W305 D116 L145
Win percentage: 53.88
Promotions: 4 (one every 141 games)
EFL Trophies: 1

Five of Buckley's 26 years in management were in the second tier.

And when we were in that bad place they had no qualms whatsoever about rubbing our noses in it, and I for one haven't forgotten that. So sod the web-footed idiots - it's payback time and long may it continue.

After BTTB and the fans footy matches we had better relationships with them.
They went down and we wound them up.
Now we can gloat I prefer not too.

That's the key note, Scotimp. Buckley's overall figures are for managing at a higher level.

Like most - probably all - of us, in time I don't expect to have to make that distinction

Although I am not so sure this 'higher level' angle is always true. It is hardly easy to take a side from the Essex Senior League - with an average home attendance of 35 and no financial budget at all - to the Conference South in six years. Particularly when you have a full-time job to attend to.

Taking Braintree to the edge of the FL was an astonishing achievement in just one season.

Lincoln in 2016-17 was simply unprecendented.

Making the L2 play-offs and winning the EFL Trophy in your first season as a FL manager was also unprecendented as far as I know.

Cowley's win percentage as a FL manager is already 54% and is actually increasing all the time.

There are many ways you can slice this one.

Although I am not so sure this 'higher level' angle is always true.....

I don't mean to get bogged down in this one, but originally there was a comparison made by some mouth-breather on the Fishcake. The contentious bit is that Cowley will never match the legacy of their revered Sir Alan.

The truth is that Cowley is well on the way to that, BUT my point is that Buckley's record at Grimsby was exceptionally good, even if not at his other clubs.

As for managing at a higher level, yes it is true, especially if you're with a lesser club, as Grimsby were in the Championship.

If you take a look, say, at Neil Warnock or Mick McCarthy's record in the PL with what they regularly achieved outside of it, then I don't think I need to go further.

Compare their records in the same league perhaps?
Was thinking myself I might compare the Murph's record in division 4 with us between 1979 to 1981 and Danny's record since we got promoted back up, they would make for interesting comparisons as we finished 7th in 79/80 and 2nd 80/81.
They could be very similar seasons indeed by the end of this one if we keep going as we are.

Indeed...looked all over for us...took Runcorn to win twice over Kettering & Barnet to swing it back to us (if my memory has a few old cells still semi-functioning)

The win put Kettering level on points with City and two behind Barnet who had drawn 1-1 at Kidderminster but they went on to lose their three remaining games to stay in third place, including (as said) twice to Runcorn.

And it was Runcorn who won at Barnet on that last Saturday while we were beating Stafford and that meant promotion was back in our own hands for the final day.

from buckley's wiki page
"Buckley is one of only 14 managers to have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a league club"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Buckley

re: win percentage.
almost bound to go down rather than up as the games mount up.

cowley has had 1.20 seasons at league level. buckley has managed at a much higher level. and clearly done well as a manager. might be best to leave that anti-grimsby bias for the more deserving targets.

The win put Kettering level on points with City and two behind Barnet who had drawn 1-1 at Kidderminster but they went on to lose their three remaining games to stay in third place, including (as said) twice to Runcorn.

And it was Runcorn who won at Barnet on that last Saturday while we were beating Stafford and that meant promotion was back in our own hands for the final day.

It wasn't so much the defeat at Kettering that day but the manner of it. I doubt any team has ever looked less like a side on the verge of becoming league winners.

It wasn't so much the defeat at Kettering that day but the manner of it. I doubt any team has ever looked less like a side on the verge of becoming league winners.

And was the third away defeat in a row and the seventh away game without a win. Not great promotion form!

After our Lancaster moment fenty is looking into sailing a traditional Grimsby trawler past the ground so the whole of the findus can rise as one , and get behind them on Saturdays massive relegation battle decider , , not sure myself if it will have the same effect

We are not going to agree on much Mr.Tick Tock, but Messser nealeardleycrossing, constant postings on the Fishy is an
embarrassment.

Not sure why they are embarrassing, but its good to see Irony is alive and kicking.

Clearly they are winding the Cods up, I especially like the fact they keep alluding to the fact that half of them live in Lincoln.

Not sure why they are embarrassing, but its good to see Irony is alive and kicking.

Clearly they are winding the Cods up, I especially like the fact they keep alluding to the fact that half of them live in Lincoln.

You are Nealeardleyscrossing and I claim my £5

I unmask you as nealeardleyscrossing!

You are not winding the Cods up, you are doing the opposite and galvansing them. I personally don't understand motives or effort in doing it.

Last edited: