EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 71 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

I have to say this has been a very enjoyable thread to read and what Shotshy said half an hour ago is interesting.
If following the next election the winning party or coalition parties ops for a referendum for rejoining the EU what exactly would the price be?
I would imagine the present rebate would have gone so that in itself would be a few million pounds annually and the Euro, would we have to give up the pound? What else could they extract from us? joining the Schengen agreement.
The Europeans might make it just as hard for us to join as to leave, as a pointer for any other member thinking of leaving.
I have this feeling that Macron by this time would have unseated Merkel at the top table and with him being a tad unfriendly towards us could make life very difficult for us getting back in.

[QUOTE="chris who, post: 1564249, member: 13513"No doubt both the Tories and Labour would have then had policies to match that vote.To me that shows how weak willed the major parties are.The main body of the parties just willing to go with the popular option.Instead of what is good for the country. Corbyn in my view has been a total disgrace on Brexit sitting on the fence from day one[/QUOTE]

How does that make Corbyn a disgrace? His euro sceptic views have been expressed for years but I believe he has been quoted as saying that on balance it may have been better to have stayed in so as to change it from within (good luck with that, with only 1 vote out of 28). He has also indicated that the party will obey the democratic decision of the nation (unlike Vince Cable with his 11 other MPs). How is that sitting on the fence?

With some labour seats having voted leave and others to remain, what other position could he take? He represents them all and should put their views ahead of his own anyway.

I saw an interview with the Labour MP for Burnley this week where she admitted that she voted Remain while two thirds of her constituents voted Leave. She must wrestle with her conscience in the same way as May (who was a remainer) and much more than Corbyn.

Gerald Batten gave a well received speech at the UKIP conference today.
A strong leader , with a party that knows what the British people want.
I can seeing them growing considerably over the next six months.

[QUOTE="chris who, post: 1564249, member: 13513"No doubt both the Tories and Labour would have then had policies to match that vote.To me that shows how weak willed the major parties are.The main body of the parties just willing to go with the popular option.Instead of what is good for the country. Corbyn in my view has been a total disgrace on Brexit sitting on the fence from day one

How does that make Corbyn a disgrace? His euro sceptic views have been expressed for years but I believe he has been quoted as saying that on balance it may have been better to have stayed in so as to change it from within (good luck with that, with only 1 vote out of 28). He has also indicated that the party will obey the democratic decision of the nation (unlike Vince Cable with his 11 other MPs). How is that sitting on the fence?

With some labour seats having voted leave and others to remain, what other position could he take? He represents them all and should put their views ahead of his own anyway.

I saw an interview with the Labour MP for Burnley this week where she admitted that she voted Remain while two thirds of her constituents voted Leave. She must wrestle with her conscience in the same way as May (who was a remainer) and much more than Corbyn.[/QUOTE]
Corbyn never really campaigned for or against simply sat there and laughed at the Tories getting themselves in a mess.

I have to say this has been a very enjoyable thread to read and what Shotshy said half an hour ago is interesting.
If following the next election the winning party or coalition parties ops for a referendum for rejoining the EU what exactly would the price be?
I would imagine the present rebate would have gone so that in itself would be a few million pounds annually and the Euro, would we have to give up the pound? What else could they extract from us? joining the Schengen agreement.
The Europeans might make it just as hard for us to join as to leave, as a pointer for any other member thinking of leaving.
I have this feeling that Macron by this time would have unseated Merkel at the top table and with him being a tad unfriendly towards us could make life very difficult for us getting back in.

You misunderstand me .
I don't mean another referendum.
That's been done to death and could only work with a breakpoint of majority. Say 60%

I meant for a UK party to write into it's manifesto a policy of joining the EU.
Then if enough agree, they will win enough seats to form a government.
That is how it has always worked.
It's a parliamentary democracy.

Yes I understand Shotshy, so let us assume Labour win the next election and in their manifesto they say they would seek to join the EU, my point was that to rejoin might be a tad different from our present commitment, the rebate would no doubt be scrapped, thus a few billion pounds more per annum, the euro might have to be adopted and we may have to join in the Schengen agreement.
The point is prior to the general election the Labour party or any party would not be in a position to know the conditions for re entry.
The remainers huff and puff today about the referendum when we voted without knowing the full facts of leaving the EU, the same could be said if a party promised to rejoin if elected, we wouldn't know until after the event.

A YouGov poll today includes that if Labour were to change their policy re Brexit to wanting a People's Vote, they would attract an increased Net Vote of 1.5 million - which might be enough to win a general election or at least increase their number of seats sufficiently to stop the Tories winning.

There is no road back unless everyone agrees that the UK has a unilateral right to rescind Article 50 before time is up. As Whistable suggests, I think the best offer the EU could agree to once we leave would be unacceptable to the UK.

Part of me still thinks we're watching a fireworks display necessitated by modern media and audience expectations whereas in the past we'd have all been content with "still no news." They'll cobble something together at the death which HMG can live with and then the action will return to Westminster and the Tories. Then we'll see if the great tide that VG maintains is out there will rise or simply retreat into sullen alienation. On the "bright" side, even the Norwegian option is a prescription for continued rows about taxation without representation which will rumble on and we may drift away from a fading project rather than leave an up and running one.

The other option is to rip it all up, stay in the EU and then totally f*ck it all up from the inside :wave:
Sweet revenge !

Mind you, with the amount of populist right wing candidates standing all across Europe in the next EU parliament elections, they may do that for us.
Farage would be wetting himself.

A YouGov poll today includes that if Labour were to change their policy re Brexit to wanting a People's Vote, they would attract an increased Net Vote of 1.5 million - which might be enough to win a general election or at least increase their number of seats sufficiently to stop the Tories winning.

that's a big IF Arthurly.
60% of labour seats voted to leave the EU
There may have been a slight swing, but not enough to win an election, unfortunately.
Millions of Conservative remain voters would not vote for Corbyn as PM all the time that had a hole in their backside.

The main problem is see with Corbyn is he is promising to spend everywhere for everyone. Rich apart .That simply will not work.He seem to have the same policy on Europe let's simply agree to do whatever is needed to get votes .Sod what is right for the country it gets me power so that will do.If saying nothing is a vote winner he says nothing.That for me is not a leader .Corbyn would adopt Turkey's eating us for Christmas dinner if it got him more votes.

In the end sod what we think .What really is in the best interests of the UK plc?I am still waiting for a leader to really lead us and I really don't think Corbyn is the answer .He is just someone who will give us even more problems.

I've accepted that we will tumble out of the EU but it will be the most almighty fuck up known to man in the short/medium term. I really don't understand where these new markets are; the pound is at its lowest for ages and yet we're still not really breaking into new areas and we're certainly not shackled by the EU in this regard. Doing business with Botswana and Djibouti will not save the economy. The Brexiteers talk about new opportunities but never give even the broadest details of would could be on the horizon - probably because they don't know. An almighty fuck up if ever there was one.

May's lost it - I seriously worry whether she's losing her marbles. If Spitting Image was still around she'd be gone inside a week.
So would you no doubt if 50% of your work mates wanted to stab you in the back.While I find her faintly amusing I also feel a bit sorry for her .

I've accepted that we will tumble out of the EU but it will be the most almighty fuck up known to man in the short/medium term. I really don't understand where these new markets are; the pound is at its lowest for ages and yet we're still not really breaking into new areas and we're certainly not shackled by the EU in this regard. Doing business with Botswana and Djibouti will not save the economy. The Brexiteers talk about new opportunities but never give even the broadest details of would could be on the horizon - probably because they don't know. An almighty fuck up if ever there was one.

Can you turn the light off when you leave the room, Wayne? ;-)

I thought Alastair Campbell was spot on on Channel 4 tonight. This government had had two years to come up with a agreed plan that the Tory party can support .They haven't.Of course checkers is the only plan on the table .Does she really expect the EU to draw up a plan for what we should do next even if they did it would be rejected. Corbyn and his shadow cabinet are still nowhere to be seen.The government and leadership have largely left May to her own devices. Frankly we look second rate nation.She appears to have one leader supporting her the Hungarian leader.Some help that is @#$!!!!!

' Frankly we look second rate nation.She appears to have one leader supporting her the Hungarian leader.Some help that is @#$!!!!! '

No wonder our country is divided.
It's time to believe in the British , and where we are heading ???