EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 73 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Worth listening to Jason Hunter -

Interesting. Did he say only 334,000 UK businesses out of 5.4 million even export to the EU? What's that, about 6%? - of which some will manufacture goods that can not easily be bought elsewhere so tariffs will be immaterial. ALSO, more exported to the rest of the world than the EU already?

ALSO, we already know that the EU exports more to us than we do to them; And yet the glut of Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, etc, clogging our roads will not be affected by our reciprocal tariffs at all? Still, they will respect Merkel's right to say "nein" at least until her next election.

Interesting. Did he say only 334,000 UK businesses out of 5.4 million even export to the EU? What's that, about 6%? - of which some will manufacture goods that can not easily be bought elsewhere so tariffs will be immaterial. ALSO, more exported to the rest of the world than the EU already?

ALSO, we already know that the EU exports more to us than we do to them; And yet the glut of Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, etc, clogging our roads will not be affected by our reciprocal tariffs at all? Still, they will respect Merkel's right to say "nein" at least until her next election.
All we know is that we export 44% of our goods and services to the EU - I've no idea what the split is. As regards imports, it's simple. Why buy from further afield and suffer tariffs and extra transport costs; it's a complete irrelevance that we buy more from the EU than we sell to it.

All we know is that we export 44% of our goods and services to the EU - I've no idea what the split is. As regards imports, it's simple. Why buy from further afield and suffer tariffs and extra transport costs; it's a complete irrelevance that we buy more from the EU than we sell to it.

Which makes us a major customer and in business generally, the customer I.E. the purchaser, tends to have the balance of power.

Every time you blather on about Djibouti and Botswana you lose more and more credibility. The World has many huge nations and economies at various stages of growth and development. Look up BRIC countries some time. Known as the big four of worldwide emerging economies. Not one in the EU.

If you continue ignoring countries of those sizes, we might as well also forget that France and Germany exist and just concentrate on the EU economies that really matter like Greece, Malta, Slovakia, Slovenia, Cyprus and Lithuania. Heaven forbid that we should lose any of those markets.
My comments are tongue in cheek until you come up with some real alternatives to the EU

Which makes us a major customer and in business generally, the customer I.E. the purchaser, tends to have the balance of power.
You might think so but exports from the EU to the UK only represents 16% of its total exports with no country in double figures, which gives lie to your notion.

Canada want to sign a deal as soon as we leave. They say it's worth £200B. But I think we should tell them to f off, we're trading with Botswana only!
The starting point will be CETA and negotiations will be completed overnight far from it. A country of less than 40m people isn't one of the biggest markets either.

People voted to leave, not crash out with no deal. That wasn't on the referendum paper! The vote was to either remain or leave, and leave had the majority vote...
Would you have voted leave if it meant you lost your job, because, as you said previously, you voted to leave because staying in the EU would have cost you your job

What I don't understand is why the Chequers Agreement was taken seriously in the first place. The opposition would never accept it. the Brexit loons in the Tory party would never accept it and above all, the rest of the EU would never accept it.

More importantly than that, the EU could never accept it, because they've spent 60 years carefully establishing a set of laws which that kind of cherry-picking would immediately undermine. They'd not only be be breaking their own and international law by violating obligations to other third countries, but also signing their own death warrant if they agreed to it, and they've made that clear right from the start.

The EU is a rules-based organisation. They can't make up policy on the fly like the UK cabinet can. In means in and out means out. And unless you can come up with a Switzerland-type arrangement with free movement of people and goods, which is obviously what the UK doesn't want, out means right out on your arse. Them's the rules.

It's no good Theresa May getting all arsey and trying to channel Winston Churchill to look good to Sun readers. The UK is the one that decided to leave the partnership, to refuse to pay its dues, to abandon its own and its partners' citizens stranded abroad, and then seek to ingratiate itself with hostile foreign powers that want to destroy it.

The EU owes the UK nothing, and to be quite honest is best shot of it.

Last edited:
The UK economy is larger than the smallest 19 EU countries combined.
But once we've left, we're holding out for Botswana.
To be fair, WayneKerr lost credibility many years ago, so this is par for the course.
Yet, you still can't name one country that we can trade with that we can't trade with already

Worth listening to Jason Hunter -

Pah Arthurly. Yet another expert who knows nothing. Mr Gove, who #ucked up my profession recently, has told us that they are not worth listening to. I believe in Rees Mogg who has just stashed a load of money away in hedge funds in Dublin because he loves his country. I believe in David Davis who went to Berlin the day after Brexit to negotiate because the EU are desperate to do a deal and the Germans will cave in because they want to sell some Mercs to us.

What I don't understand us why the EU hasn't collapsed and begged us for a deal and offered generous terms. After all, we are far more significant than the other 27 put together. It beggars belief that they haven't grovelled. I thought they were on the brink of collapse. How dare they not kow tow to us. It's 1867 and he world map is pink.

Send out the gunboats.

I can only blame the Remoaners. I don't know why, but it must be their faults.

' Frankly we look second rate nation.She appears to have one leader supporting her the Hungarian leader.Some help that is @#$!!!!! '

No wonder our country is divided.
It's time to believe in the British , and where we are heading ???
Most people that I know that voted to remain have always believed in the British people and their ability to cope with anything thrown at us by the EU. It's weak, anti-British, quitters, like yourself, that have shown no belief in the British people

Why aren't the EU caving in? We were told they would because they need us more than we need them. I just don't understand it.

Shotshy, Tarian, why are they not begging us for a good deal?

How dare they be disrespectful just because we want to leave the club but retain the benefits of membership?

Yet, you still can't name one country that we can trade with that we can't trade with already

I don't think anybody has heard of a ban on UK businesses trading with any other country or have suggested such.

We can however upon leaving the EU trade on terms decided by us and the other party neither charges us a massive sum every week for the privilege doing so, or dictates our immigration policy, or sets laws that apply to us even though we can be heavily outvoted if we object.

Would you have voted leave if it meant you lost your job, because, as you said previously, you voted to leave because staying in the EU would have cost you your job

I don't live life by ifs and buts, it's too restrictive. Grasp the best opportunity in front of you, and give it your best :-)

I guess recent posts summarise how remainers feel .

It will only get worse , till someone throws you mugs another possible lifeline , to reverse the Brexiteers vote. People's vote anyone ? Lol

Why aren't the EU caving in? We were told they would because they need us more than we need them. I just don't understand it.

Shotshy, Tarian, why are they not begging us for a good deal?

How dare they be disrespectful just because we want to leave the club but retain the benefits of membership?

Nobody ever expected the expenses paid EU bureaucrats like Tusk to beg for anything. Far too self important. Rather be playing with their instagrams in their very mature manner.

Neither the EU nor the UK need one another if it means being on the wrong end of a bad deal. WE ALL GET THAT !!

That is how we have come to this impasse even though supposedly 87% of the deal had been agreed.

As Farage and other leave campaigners have said at a meeting tonight - "no deal, no problem". They know that the short term pain on both sides will be outweighed by the long term gain.

I believe in David Davis who went to Berlin the day after Brexit to negotiate because the EU are desperate to do a deal and the Germans will cave in because they want to sell some Mercs to us.

"Merkel has been told forcefully by Germany's manufacturers that it is vital for them not to face unnecessary hurdles selling products to their biggest market — Britain" from article:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...RNE-Im-convinced-Brexit-deal-sealed-kiss.html

If you want to just call that "some mercs" that is up to you.

It is only the remoaners on here that use words like "desperate" or "beg". All leavers suggest is that if concessions are not made on both sides, it will not be good for either. We will soon know.

I don't live life by ifs and buts, it's too restrictive. Grasp the best opportunity in front of you, and give it your best :-)
The best options were within the EU new markets like Poland.We also need their labour and taxes as our workforce gets older .I plan to work on as long as I can but many younger than me have long since retired.At the end of the day people voted for a dream that isn't there and never has been .We need foreign labour .We need the EU.Our government are not capable of running the country now let alone when they have to sell our largely foreign owned companies in the UK to the rest of the world.We need investment from Europe and the rest of the world post Brexit that is unlikely.

Last edited: