Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crawley Town | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Crawley Town

Surely you are not stating your honest, intelligent belief that there really is a curse attached to the Manager of the Month award?

I'm noting an undeniable coincidence. I did not say there was a curse. You will note the question mark on the end of my post. That usually means 'this is a question'. And, I might add, one of a rather obviously tongue in cheek and rhetorical nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointing loss but these things happen, in the same way as Crewe last year. We’ll pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and come back stronger!

In other news, some plonker on banter has got quite a few likes for writing that Akinde is an overrated penalty taker and Rhead’s two headers make him a better player... where do these idiots come from ?.

In other news, some plonker on banter has got quite a few likes for writing that Akinde is an overrated penalty taker and Rhead’s two headers make him a better player... where do these idiots come from ?.

That's top banter that! Man is obviously a genius of wit.

I thought Akinde was our best attacking player in the second half. Didn't do as well before the break - but then not many did.

Looked slow today while Crawley back 4 looked comfatable dealing with Akinde who played most of the game again with his back to goal
Rheady/Green was needed on at half time
Thought Bruno had a decent game
Part from that crap but top of the league still

That's top banter that! Man is obviously a genius of wit.

I’m more concerned about the number of likes and agreement on the post. Rheady made a decent impact when he came on and big John didn’t have a great game but to react like that to Akinde having one bad game is just madness. Felt that distribution was poor today if anything.

Are we feeling the aftereffects of the Tuesday-Saturday fixture pileup and some injuries? Will be good to have a week off and get everyone properly fit again.

Are we feeling the aftereffects of the Tuesday-Saturday fixture pileup and some injuries? Will be good to have a week off and get everyone properly fit again.

Most of today's team didn't play on Tuesday. The two who did - Toffs and Bostwick - were two of our better performers today.

Good ol Lincoln, there to put a dose of reality when things were looking good.

Unfortunately one of those games where it didn’t fall for us, the own goal, the red card and obviously we didn’t help ourselves by underperforming. Slightly concerned with how inconsistent we’ve been. I don’t know if my expectations are unrealistically high, but it feels like we’ve had a lot of games where we’ve underperformed. This time we didn’t get away with it.

I like Toff always puts the effort in. (not that others don't). They are professionals at the end of the day. No excuses, tired legs ect; Same for all teams...

To curse or not to curse, that is the question.

Twas a grim and autumnal day, that is for sure. England mustered well in their first innings with Jos whacking the Indian bowlers to all parts. That lifted my spirits for a battle against a team who seem to have hexed us in the past.

I sadly remember the dour draw at the Bank last season against a Kewel side, who obviously had done their homework. That was then turned into a 3-0 home win for Crawley in the return fixture.

Then at the start of the week, there was this unfortunate headline;

"There isn't a team in this division that is capable of physically dominating us."

We have been physically dominated to two defeats now. Always dangerous tempting fate.

On to today's game. Crawley had a high defensive line and harried, bustled and pressed hard. They upset our team to the point they did a Cowleys on us. Our play was poor and John Akinde looked slower than the milk float that Father Dougall drove when he replaced Pat Mustard in Father Ted.

I was longing for half time, as was mini Jeff. I even had to reach to listen to the TMS commentary as the play was reminiscent of two mid table Sunday league teams, having over exerted their drinking arms the previous evening.

The own goal was unfortunate, but not unexpected for Crawley to be ahead at half time.

After an acceptable hot chocolate at half time, I saw the sending off incident. It did look like a sending off and it took that for Lincoln to finally realise that they were in a two horse race. That was disappointing. Crawley defended well and picked off our attempts well. The only bright spot for me was Rhead coming on, who looked to cause the Crawley defence problems immediately. He did just that.

A poor game. A poor performance and one that will go down as a missed opportunity. You can't win every game and it would appear the humorous hoodoo or curse of Manager of The Month, strikes again.

A defeat is a good thing. It adds perspective and allows the players and staff a chance to reflect, learn and realise what you need to do in order to improve and retain that consistency.

A season is a marathon and not a sprint. It means nothing where you are in September, but everything in that final table on the first Saturday in May.

Last edited:
Thought he got almost everything correct. What makes him a clown?

I thought there was a foul on our player in the build-up to their goal and I also thought Frecklingtons challenge should have been no more than a yellow card.

Just my opinion.

I thought there was a foul on our player in the build-up to their goal and I also thought Frecklingtons challenge should have been no more than a yellow card.

Just my opinion.

Thought the ref got both decisions right to be honest. We’d be kidding ourselves if we blamed him for the defeat.

Don't think the ref was quite that bad, just a bad day at the office & nothing went for us. It'll happen. DC & NC will dissect, learn & move on - & go all out for three points at Crawley when we go there !!!