EFL Cup, Burton v Villa Tuesday 28th August, 7:45pm kick off | Page 17 | Vital Football

EFL Cup, Burton v Villa Tuesday 28th August, 7:45pm kick off

The dismal performance is testimony to Bruce’s poor buying. His squad just isn’t up to it and he can’t do anything about it now.

1. Feels like he’s losing the players or certainly those down the pecking order

2. Playing with zip? That’s the sort of term my dad would use, wonder if that’s what he shouts at training but no one can understand him.

3. Injuries for Mcginniesta, Grealish & Kodjia? Praying to the migjty lord McGrath himself they’re fit for Saturday.

I’m not sure if he looks broken or exhausted or if that’s just his normal look. Two more league games now, I can get forget about this pretty quickly but the next two games are very tough - we have to get rid of Bruce if we do not perform.

Draws aren’t good enough despite us being “unbeaten”.

We know some of those players are decent, they have played against us - Bruce then buys them and they all get gradually worse until they seem scared to even play anymore.

Against Burton.

Two thirds of ground were Villa.

This isn’t a new thing though is it, how many times do we see another team play against us with more desire, pace and thought ?

We may grind out a win through various means but very rarely has a Bruce team impressed me with performance levels.

He probably sits in the corner begging them to do better in the second half instead of telling them that their weeks wages are on the line.

Tells them they need to zip it more, more zipping, zippier, like Kieran just not trippier zippier

That was absolute dogshit. I'd have expected the non-regulars to have busted a gut to put themselves in contention but they looked like they just couldn't be arsed. This was one of the times when you question why you bother.

This competition for Villa at the moment is completely irrelevant so going out of it is unimportant. What isn't unimportant is the performance of squad players who claim they want to be in the first team. Well they certainly didn't show it and that is a big concern.
Unfortunately for Bruce playing the b team has done nothing but pile pressure on himself and now the next game becomes important not just to get a result but there needs to be a performance as well. The players are there, he needs to stop playing players out of position and let them express themselves. If he doesn't he will rue his mistakes from the comfort of his armchair as I'm sure the new owners will be expecting better.

I'm not overly bothered about going out, but it is slightly concerning that the fringe players just seem to have downed tools.

Absolutely woeful against Yeovil and Burton. Worrying if any of the regular league XI get injured.

God help us if Kodjia in particular gets injured as RHM is not very good.

Not too fussed about getting knocked out of the cup, but the manner in which it happened is annoying. If these players really do think they should be in the first team then bust a gut on the pitch and give Bruce a headache for the weekend. Jack & McGinn are both touch and go for the Sheffield game so there are at least 2 potential spots up for grabs.

Honestly, if you wasn't there, you cannot begin gto imagine how bad that was !

11 players, who mostly walked around for 90 minutes, looking like they didn't give a shite, about the game, about the club, about the fans. There were a few I felt sorry for - Albert, Taylor, Elphick especially, for different reasons, but on the whole it was so bad it was actually funny !

Morreira - 4 - didn't have much to do, but rolled / kicked . threw the ball into dangerous positions that nearly cost us on more than one occasion

De Laet - 3 - well, one thing proved something, I now know why he isn't playing. He was dreadful. Imagine Hutton without the work, skill and pace

Elphick - 7 - played really well actually, snuffed out all there attacks by always being in the right place - harshly treated by Bruce

Tuanzebe - 5 - considering he was being asked to cover about 6 positions, he werent bad t be honest. And he tried

Bree - 5 - not too bad considering he was out of position. Made a few errors and was out of positions a number of times, but he is a 19yr old right back at the end of the day

Taylor - 3 - I actually feel sorry for him. He tried hard enough, but it just seems that tackle has destroyed his confidence, he was a bloody good full back, now he isn't

Lansbury - 1 - what is the bloody point. He is obviously a waster. The only question is, if this is how bad his attitude is, what the hell is McCormacks like. The walked, and I mean walked around for 90 minutes looking like he didn't give a toss. Got the 1 for a few good balls - horrific performance, an it is not the first time

Hourihane - 3 - hadn't got a chance with Lansbury beside him, had to do all the work instead of getting forward

El Ghazi - 3 - First time I seen him, and got to be honest, I wasn't impressed. I thought he was supposed to be pacey, just looked like every other one of our players, got the ball, cut back, slowed the game down and lost momentum - hoping for better

Adomah - 4 - he was hopeless, he took probably the worst penalty I have seen since Kevin Richardson, but at least he looked bothered,. He looked distraught at the end of the game. He was crap, granted, but he tried, which was more than 9 of them

RHM - 3 - what is he ? - he is not a target man, he is not fast, he is not a goal poacher, he doesn't link play up. Ran a lot, but I just don't see his use. Reminded me of Stefan Moore

Subs - Elmo played well.

Bruce - 0 - Heard his after match interview. Sorry Steve, broken record, you say the same things after every match. It is clear the players are either not playing for you, or don't understand what you are asking them to do. I then heard we are loaning out Green and you have totally lost me, the one youngster I have thought "ths kid has got something" in 5 years, and you are shipping him out. It's a goodnight from me I am afraid - you have lost me.

Honestly, those "who were there maaan" will back me up - that was utterly shocking and unacceptable

Last edited:
The return of "mass hysteria ", oh how I've missed you. :whist:

Really? You think this hysteria mate? We aren't improving, he's saying the same thing over and over about bad performances (like his honesty at least)

According to those there tonight from here and a few mates on facebook, this was rank.

That isn't hysteria. It's a team once again not playing to their potential.

Really? You think this hysteria mate? We aren't improving, he's saying the same thing over and over about bad performances (like his honesty at least)

According to those there tonight from here and a few mates on facebook, this was rank.

That isn't hysteria. It's a team once again not playing to their potential.

In the last round there was a call to "Play the youngsters, those on the fringes" So he played them and we lost.....

I always want the Villa manager to play the strongest team in every game and go out to try and win that game.

We used to treasure the League Cup (Ignoring the fucking Caroboo bollocks) and it always gave the fans a lift during a disappointing run to look forward to a good cup run.

It is what it is.

All clubs use this cup competition to play fringe and youth players. Bruce didn't do anything out of the ordinary there.

The fringe players once again failed to step up... is that Bruce's fault? i dunno... judging by what has been said above about Lansbury walking round and De Laet just been awful, I dunno..... I doubt he asked them to go out and do that.

I'm not saying the manager is immune to criticism, of course not. It looks like the fringe players are refusing to play for him, which in itself is a worry. I've always said when the players stop playing for a manager it's the beginning of the end, but l think the main 11 are still playing for him which is the main thing.

If it gets to a point where McGinn, Chester, Hutton, Jack, Kodjia are behaving like that lot last night then it'll be time for Bruce to move on, but I don't think thats happening.

Remember Leeds lost to 10 man preston 3-0 too, so even in all the hype around Bielsa the same could be levelled at him in terms of thier fringe players not playing for him.

At the end of the day nobody wants to play in this crappy cup.

What Bruce will need is a big reaction in a tough game against opponents who are bang in form. We aren't good enough to go there and play for a 0-0 so it will be interesting to say the least.