EFL Cup, Burton v Villa Tuesday 28th August, 7:45pm kick off | Page 20 | Vital Football

EFL Cup, Burton v Villa Tuesday 28th August, 7:45pm kick off

I don't recall teams like Reading and Fleetwood making 11 changes to their starting line ups back when we were winning it though.

Nobody takes it seriously anymore, and as fun as the 94 and 96 trips to Wembley were, it's actualy a bit embarrasing that those were our last trophies.... it's been nearly 40 years since we won anything worthwhile.

I don't recall teams like Reading and Fleetwood making 11 changes to their starting line ups back when we were winning it though.

Nobody takes it seriously anymore, and as fun as the 94 and 96 trips to Wembley were, it's actualy a bit embarrasing that those were our last trophies.... it's been nearly 40 years since we won anything worthwhile.

I don’t agree with this. The league cup wins are an important part of our history. As someone else said, Pep will take it it seriously. It’s managers that live in fear of their jobs that have turned it into a farce when they should be putting out a strong team. They get what they deserve but the fans don’t deserve it. I think the managers must be thick. All Bruce has done is increase the pressure on himself. Absolute joke!

A good cup run is always a positive.

Keeps a squad on its toes and is a nice change from standard league games week in and week out.

The team should have been enough to win, but this Villa squad can lose to anyone on its bad days.

First time in their history Burton have beaten us and fair play to them as they were the better team.

I love cup games it was great to be there to win the first league cup when most clubs weren’t interested. And the EUROPEAN CUP.
If fans arn’t bothered about the cup why do they go. Madness
Two many players need games, just pick your best team

Every team we put out to represent the club in a serious competition should be put out with the objective of winning. I'm not against making a lot of changes in the less important games, but that doesn't stop the team being organised in a way to maximise the possibility of winning. To do otherwise is an insult to the fans who turn up and indeed to fans in general.

Burton was a shambles. You can't blame it all on the players. Bruce may be upset that it reflects badly on him, but it does exactly that.

Every team we put out to represent the club in a serious competition should be put out with the objective of winning. I'm not against making a lot of changes in the less important games, but that doesn't stop the team being organised in a way to maximise the possibility of winning. To do otherwise is an insult to the fans who turn up and indeed to fans in general.

Burton was a shambles. You can't blame it all on the players. Bruce may be upset that it reflects badly on him, but it does exactly that.

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the cup McP.

As for the Burton debacle, I don't think you can blame the players at all. The only surprise for me in that game, after I'd seen the team sheet and line-up, was that Mark Bunn wasn't down as centreforward. We started the game with three rightbacks on the field and ended with four rightbacks in the team, obviously only one of them playing his natural position.
I know Moreira was playing his natural position but, was anyone else?

As an ex-player, Bruce ought to know how difficult it can be playing out of position, even when you have team-mates giving you advice and cover.
To play out of position, when all around you are playing out of position as well, is damn well impossible.
The team that was put out against Burton were set up for a humiliating loss and deserve credit for having only conceded one goal.