2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Page 66 | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

Connolly will be the second option at LB and if Robinson misses a game and possibly he is the third option at CB ahead of Bruce right now with Burn out. Not to mention RB until Byrne returns. The only area where I see annoyed players is in attack. I think there will be some loan movement out there tho. Specifically cole and possibly walker.

yep agreed. its alweys a togh call making them changes when moving up a legue. you have to change and build and some good busines has been done.

but i were thinking more about what chet sed erlier in his post

make the changes now by all acounts but if we want to avoid the hokey cokey and disrupteon of the teem all over agen next seeson then these contracts need to be sorted out. sooner than later. it might not stop some of them pleyers going out of the club but at leest itll sort future value.

All this assuming we don't get promoted. If that happens the Hokey Cokey and disruption starts all over next season. Strange game this football management.

All this assuming we don't get promoted. If that happens the Hokey Cokey and disruption starts all over next season. Strange game this football management.

sorry tb. not made myself cleer.

i ment weve been promoted (to champeonship) so change were necesary. we have disrupteon now because of this. if we dont sort out these contracts then there will be unecesary change agen next yeer to maybe just stey in the champeonship. if change next yeer becomes inevitable then at leest securing new contracts for these guys means more dollar for us in selling them on and not loosing them to frees ect.

After yesterday I am very surprised in the quality of signings we made, but now I'm here itching who plays where and what our best team is. Exciting times. This squad under cook has quality and we can do well this season. Tough game tomorrow though!

I see a few players leaving though on loan to buy, Walker, cole, maybe MacDonald. Feel MacDonald deserves a crack though.

I could be wrong but I think the way these deals work is effectively the buy in all but name. The deal is agreed, contracts signed, etc (a fee may even be paid at that point) but the registration can't formally be transfered until the window reopens. So they are by all intensive purposes you're player in all but registration. A bit like when we signed Alcaraz before the World Cup to a pre-contract agreement and after he had a good tournmenet the clubs came sniffing but he couldn't decide he fancied going elsewhere instead.

I'm not sure if the deal can be cancelled unless all parties agree to that. So if Max rips up trees i don't think we can bring him back or if he stinks up the place they still have to take him. I could be wrong but that was my understanding, please someone correct me if i'm not accurate.
The fee will have been set and the lonee club can buy the player at anytime throughout and up to the end of the loan deal or they can decide it’s not worth it and walk away.

I think the beauty of having a squad like ours is now the competition for places will be fierce and push the players to perform to their best if they want to play. If someone doesn't perform we have options to change it, i can't see the likes of Massey or Jacobs staying in the side as many games as they did last season when their form dipped. I imagine Cook probably hasn't got a set new first team in mind but will let the players performances dictate it.

Paul Cook said there could still be one or two deals to be done in the defence at his Villa press confrence. Looking at that it appears a left and centre back would be those 2 areas, and it would have to be free transfers. There are some big names available but i suspect the reason no one has picked them up already is excessive wage demands, so i'd not think any of them would be remotely likely, but one name we've already been linked with in Martin Cranie, couldn't see another sensible domestic name. So maybe there could be someone from abroad we are having a look at.

Also Nixon said the link to the Scottish centre half yesterday was not true.

I look at our business and in all positions we’ve brought in, not just cover, but players who are potentially better than some of last seasons best performers. We’ve also moved on those who wouldn’t have got a game......even in cup fixtures.

Evans is an astute signing as he’s a known quantity and direct competition for Gibson. If Gibson performs and stays fit we’ll have a Premier League quality player for next to nothing. Windass seems to be able to fulfill both the wing and striker positions, Garners a work horse who can create space for others, and I see Connolly as a back-up for Morsy.

I’d be fairly confident of signing up the out-of-contract players. That includes Powell. Only question with him is a Premier League club could make an offer we can’t refuse in January if the contract is not signed by then.

Last edited:
Gibson looked a class act and if he performs like like every week he will be first on the team sheet , starting 11 will be interesting tomorrow ..

Cook said there will be changes due to injuries, no word on who but i suspect Gibson is out as he came off when we were defending a lead. Powell also came off last week but i'm hoping that was more tactical / to freshing things up rather than any injury.

So we might have some of the new lads thrown straight in.

Can't see Macdonald playing for us again. Nice lad but just does not suit Cooks style at all, no pace and doesn't have the tempo or range of passing required for our style.

Based on last time he played? Two seasons ago in the Championship? Where he was our best player or one of two or three actually playing consistently and well?

We've now got bodies in, though at left back we are short of strength in depth. I'm guessing we'll look to address that in next few weeks.

Cook last year said he likes a lean squad, so given the numbers we have I'd expect possibly upto 4 or 5 to depart on loan. If I had to speculate I'd say those would Macdonald, Walker, Lopes, Naismith and Cole. Assuming we get another left back I think that would leave us with 21 outfield players, so effectively two per position.

I appreciate Cook likes a settled team and I'm guessing in the main that maybe the case, however I'm sure he's aware of the increased intensity in this league so will see the need to utilise his squad and freshen the team, particularly with midweek fixtures. I get the argument about whether some of those will get the game time they want, such as Connolly, but the challenge for them is to make themselves undropable when they do get in.

In my own opinion I think that Cook is a manager who is likely to stick with the players he knows from last season and give them a chance to prove themselves in this division. However he now has sufficient strength in depth in almost all positions to bring in new players should the need arise. So the players who he picks know that there are quality players waiting for any slip ups or drop in form to get their opportunity to make the starting eleven. I am sure that he will give all those who performed well in last years first eleven the opportunity to make those positions their own, but be more willing this season to make changes.

I am sure that he will give all those who performed well in last years first eleven the opportunity to make those positions their own, but be more willing this season to make changes.

i shuld bloody hope so tb else it makes a mokery out of buying them. funny old thing this football manegement thingy. ;)

I think with our high pressing game he will make more use of substitutions during the game this season to keep the fitness levels high for 90+ mins

Completely forgot we had Kal Naismith. Don’t mean to be rude but what a waste of a signing he was. The best chance he’s got of playing is if Robinson gets injured. Three year contract as well!

We need to move bodies out, Walker, Cole, MacDonald can all go. May even be worth loaning out Lopes, he’s going to be behind Morsy, Evans, Gibson and Connolly in the CM pecking order.

Completely forgot we had Kal Naismith. Don’t mean to be rude but what a waste of a signing he was. The best chance he’s got of playing is if Robinson gets injured. Three year contract as well!

We need to move bodies out, Walker, Cole, MacDonald can all go. May even be worth loaning out Lopes, he’s going to be behind Morsy, Evans, Gibson and Connolly in the CM pecking order.

Not to mention Bruce and Roberts along for an easy year for no reason whatsoever.

We’ve got a fantastic squad, the only area of concern now is the defence. A centre half and a left back are where we could fall short if there are any injuries. It was great business keeping Burn on loan though. I think this season could go either way, we could surprise everyone and be up there challenging or be right down at the bottom fighting for our lives. Either way I think the majority of our games will be entertaining.

Cook said there will be changes due to injuries, no word on who but i suspect Gibson is out as he came off when we were defending a lead. Powell also came off last week but i'm hoping that was more tactical / to freshing things up rather than any injury.

So we might have some of the new lads thrown straight in.

I thought Gibson came off because he was tired rather than injured. His substitution was more or less like for like tactical wise with Power coming on.