2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Page 67 | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

Not to mention Bruce and Roberts along for an easy year for no reason whatsoever.
Insurance. They are the players you never want to use because if you are then your top players are not available but you would be caught without your trousers on if you didn't have them. Bruce and Roberts also bring absolute bags of experience that is always useful for a young team behind the scenes.

Sounds like we are going to bring in another centre half on loan to play not just a free as back up.

While Burn and Byrne are out, assuming Walton, James and Robinson would be certain starters and likely Evans means Connolly would probably have to sit in the stands to accomidate the extra centre half. Not ideal but needs must if we don't think we've got what we need at centre back.

We'd probably be best doing a loan to buy and try and get Big Dans replacement in the door before he heads off in January if we have the money. But it might have to be another youngsters like Pennington if we've spent all the money we had on deadline day.

Nedum Onouha
Chris Samba
James Collins

All good options at centre half who are available as free agents but I can’t see us going for them as they’d all probably command a decent wage and have no resale value at all.

Nedum Onouha
Chris Samba
James Collins

All good options at centre half who are available as free agents but I can’t see us going for them as they’d all probably command a decent wage and have no resale value at all.

....Sounds like a Harry Redknapp dream team! ?

The issue with the 3 lads mentioned is the fact they were such fantastic players but currently haven't got a club. It suggests either that their legs have gone and no one wants them or they are pricing themselves out of the wage the interested clubs could pay - maybe a bit of both.

Not just that but they probably haven't had a full preseason and wouldn't be fit to play for a number of weeks when it sounds like we need them now.

I suspect if we fancied any of them / were willing to pay the wages we probably wouldve went for them early in the summer. So while not out of the question i think they probably aren't options we are looking at. Although we could certainly do a lot worse than Onuaha.

Strange we didn't have them all for our pre season preparations. Could have saved even more if our players from having match time.

Strange we didn't have them all for our pre season preparations. Could have saved even more if our players from having match time.

The reason you take them on preseason and use them ahead of your own players is because you suspect they might be better. If a manager believed there was a player available who may be a good addition to your squad and is willing to train with us for no money as effectively a 'try before you buy' why wouldn't you do it?

Would you prefer us to take a punt and give the lad a contract and skip a trial or just ignore all players who are willing to come on trial?

Nedum Onouha
Chris Samba
James Collins

why would they "command a decent wage " ? they are earning nothing at the moment from football.

The issue with the 3 lads mentioned is the fact they were such fantastic players but currently haven't got a club. It suggests either that their legs have gone and no one wants them or they are pricing themselves out of the wage the interested clubs could pay - maybe a bit of both.

Not just that but they probably haven't had a full preseason and wouldn't be fit to play for a number of weeks when it sounds like we need them now.

I suspect if we fancied any of them / were willing to pay the wages we probably wouldve went for them early in the summer. So while not out of the question i think they probably aren't options we are looking at. Although we could certainly do a lot worse than Onuaha.

i ask you the same, why should they command the type of wage you suggest, they ean nothing/ziltch/diddly squatt at the moment so why should they expect a high wage.

i ask you the same, why should they command the type of wage you suggest, they ean nothing/ziltch/diddly squatt at the moment so why should they expect a high wage.

If you were talking players who had lesser careers then they probably would be willing to except lower wages rather than sit at home earning nothing. But those players mentioned earned exceptionally large amounts of money throughout their careers they likely don't need to get a new contract unless they fancy the move or they are going to be well compensated. The 3 lads mentioned probably were all on 30k plus if not more on their last deal, which was possibly already a lot lower than they earned at their earlier in their career peaks - to them moving their family and going to battle it out at the lower end of the Championship for 10k a week probably just doesn't feel worth it.

It's the same as Yaya Toure and John Terry, there would be plenty of clubs interested in taking them on if they were willing to come to them - but the clubs sniffing are probably clubs they don't fancy and they will probably prefer to retire than join a club doesn't appeal to them unless they are willing to offer enough money to make them change their mind. Samba, Onuaha and Collins aren't in the same bracket as Yaya and Terry but they probably have the same luxury of only needing to find a new club if they want one rather than needing one to pay the bills. I suspect all 5 mentioned players had no shortage of offers but no club they would've be willing to sign for wanted them, they didn't fancy the clubs that were intersted and those same clubs were unable to put a financial package in place big enough to make them reconsider.

In modern football many of the players who earned big bucks probably don't really feel the need to drop past a certain level to keep playing like many past players and lower league players do.

The reason you take them on preseason and use them ahead of your own players is because you suspect they might be better. If a manager believed there was a player available who may be a good addition to your squad and is willing to train with us for no money as effectively a 'try before you buy' why wouldn't you do it?

Would you prefer us to take a punt and give the lad a contract and skip a trial or just ignore all players who are willing to come on trial?[/QUOTE
Its ok, its not a bad thing to rest the squad in pre-season and give them bugger all match time. A few laps of Euxton and a bit of sun should suffice this day and age.
Who needs match time anyway?

That's not answering the question i aksed though is it. If you are so opposed to trialists and a player is willing to come on trail to prove his worth should we refuse a trial and immedietely commit to a contract or just refuse to look at him altogheter? To me if someone is willing to come on trial and you think they are worth a look you'd be mad not to do it when there is no obligation to sign them.

Considering we signed Gibson, i don't think Wallace and Perch playing some training games and being on the bench in a friendly or two really had a negative impact on preseason.