Farman, Palmer and Whitehouse | Page 3 | Vital Football

Farman, Palmer and Whitehouse

Rheadys all-round game is fantastic, he has vision, touch and is a good finisher and can also hold the ball up as well as anyone else in the squad. What he lacks is pace of course, but let's not be blind to the rest of Rheady's game, he is a top, top player at this level.

Let's not kid ourselves, his all-round game is far from fantastic. He is good at what he is built to do but all round suggests agility, pace, stamina and skill. I don't think he is a good finisher, does not actually jump to win an header, has no pace or agility and is knackered after 60 minutes. Has never scored a goal with his left foot either, in fact can't really kick with his left foot. he is great when defenders are too intimidated and he can bully them. He is ideal as a last 20 minute plan B but if he is a yardstick as a top player then I fear for league 2 football.
Sounds harsh but true.

In my opinion, Rhead became less effective last season as defences worked him out. Most defenders realised they couldn't match him in the air, so all they did eventually was stand off him and collect his flicks and knock-ons. I wonder how many goals we scored from such flicks, but it would be a very small percentage. That is probably not his fault, more the fault of the players supposed to be feeding off him and not doing so. Or is it the style of play itself that needs changing?

Playing Rhead will also affect us in another way, refs don't seem to give him much of the benefit of the doubt with the 50/50 decisions. Yes he fouls and falls around a lot for a big guy, but he also takes a lot of stick and is the victim of a lot of unpunished challenges (Exter away PO game for instance with his non penalty award). I reckon we would get a lot more of those decisions without him being a regular next season.

"I don't think he is a good finisher"

I think if you think that we are definitely miles apart in our opinions... :eek:

He has more skill a better touch and finish then most people assume from his size.

He had suffered from bad press though.

I feel it will be good to reverse the playing pattern next season - come on for the last 15 to 30 mins if we are behind etc.

Whichever way you look at it Rheady is a typical lower league striker. He scores some fantastic goals his overhead kick, his screamer at Coventry but then misses some sitters like not even hitting the target at Wembley when Whitehouse laid it on plate!

The thing for me is Rhead is now 34 and some players can adapt and be just as good as they get older. However the type of player he is being a bigger build and physical he clearly isn't going to get better. He is on the slow inexorable slope and I am sure Danny and Nicky are aware of that and will be starting to ease in new players as Rheady's effectiveness goes slowly down. for me the end of last season showed that is already starting to creep in.

Don't forget he didn't turn professional until he was 28ish so hasn't been training full time for long and won't have gone through as much rigorous exercise as others his age. I'm not sure he's on that much of a decline. He hasn't got any pace to lose.

In my opinion, Rhead became less effective last season as defences worked him out. Most defenders realised they couldn't match him in the air, so all they did eventually was stand off him and collect his flicks and knock-ons. I wonder how many goals we scored from such flicks, but it would be a very small percentage. That is probably not his fault, more the fault of the players supposed to be feeding off him and not doing so. Or is it the style of play itself that needs changing?

yes, it is the style of play. and yes, get a better goal poacher to anticipate the flicks.

to balance the books on rhead... he is way above average at reading [ha] the high ball...one of the best i have seen. if those high balls were coming in from a constant supply of decent crosses from the byline, defenders would not be able to stand off him. and if they couldn't match him - which most can't, a fair few of those balls will be going towards the net. we would score a higher percentage that way, than the 1 in 28 that long diagonal crosses produce.

so, decent wide attackers [wingers] that can beat a man, get to the byline and put in a decent cross? andrade could well be a good start down that route...

yes, it is the style of play. and yes, get a better goal poacher to anticipate the flicks.

to balance the books on rhead... he is way above average at reading [ha] the high ball...one of the best i have seen. if those high balls were coming in from a constant supply of decent crosses from the byline, defenders would not be able to stand off him. and if they couldn't match him - which most can't, a fair few of those balls will be going towards the net. we would score a higher percentage that way, than the 1 in 28 that long diagonal crosses produce.

so, decent wide attackers [wingers] that can beat a man, get to the byline and put in a decent cross? andrade could well be a good start down that route...
Spot on again nlondonimp,correct analysis once again.

I'm puzzled that some are advocating getting rid of Green. Sure he missed a few chances, but the guy scored 17(?) and works his knackers off for 90 minutes every game. Don't forget the last 3rd of the season he has been stuck out wide in a front 3. If he had stayed down the centre he would easily have passed 20 for the season. What more do we expect for the level we are at?

dennis signs for notts so top 17/18 league two scorers still at league two clubs:
1. eisa 23 [leaving?]
2. doige 20 [leaving?]
3. stockley 20 [leaving?]

4. dennis [notts] 19
5. pope [vale] 17
6. green [imps] 14 along with newton [stevenage] and rose [mansfld].

why would we want to get rid of green?

Any sane manager (or fan) wouldn't want to get rid of Green.

I may be in the minority, but of the three strikers, by the second half of the season Palmer was easily my favourite. Better first, second and third touch than Rheady or Greeny. Would suit a team that plays through the midfield rather than over it. Will not however win slow diagonal crosses from the halfway line like Rhead can.

Don't blame any footballer for wanting to leave to get regular starts. It's what the job's about, at all levels.
I like Palmer, but he hasn’t got a better first touch than Rheady

I wouldn’t be too fussed about Palmer leaving despite his super-sub heroics but I would be sad to see Whitehouse leave as there is a good player in there with a terrific attitude. But with Woodyard leaving it just goes to show that anything can happen.

In the words of Commander Sam Shore...

Palmer has a somewhat tempestuous relationship with the football.

If our lad could channel the bucket-loads of passion he has for the game and focus it a bit, he'd be unstoppable (as a few sublime moments have proven already). I reckon he has the minerals to do well in a Danny team with a bit of development time and he's fast becoming a fan fave. I like Ollie, hope he stays!