Farman, Palmer and Whitehouse | Page 4 | Vital Football

Farman, Palmer and Whitehouse

Just being a devil's advocate but concerning Farman and Palmer and appreciating that a year is a long time but this time next year they might be released by the club as out of contract. Would both or either be getting a new deal next year or should it be a case of getting some money now rather than nothing in 12 months time.

If our lad could channel the bucket-loads of passion he has for the game and focus it a bit, he'd be unstoppable (as a few sublime moments have proven already). I reckon he has the minerals to do well in a Danny team with a bit of development time and he's fast becoming a fan fave. I like Ollie, hope he stays!

Me too. I'd like to see him in a more central role, with ball played to feet, instead of aerially.

I expect people to disagree with me, but despite looking like Bambi at times, he is still quite skilful and has, in my opinion, the best shot of our three forwards as well as good pace.

Would like him to stay, but can't blame him if he wants more regular starts and opts to leave.

In my opinion, Rhead became less effective last season as defences worked him out. Most defenders realised they couldn't match him in the air, so all they did eventually was stand off him and collect his flicks and knock-ons. I wonder how many goals we scored from such flicks, but it would be a very small percentage. That is probably not his fault, more the fault of the players supposed to be feeding off him and not doing so. Or is it the style of play itself that needs changing?

I totally disagree with the idea Rhead got worked out through the season. There is no genius working out of Matt Rhead unless it's absolutely your first rodeo and you've never seen a massive target man before. He is very hard to play against and actually he didn't start this season that well and came into it through the middle I think. I bet the % headers won is still massively high. Also I didn't watch a game where teams stood off him??? Literally every game was some massive battle royale.

I don't think we scored loads and loads from his flicks even in the promotion season. It's more getting up the pitch and territory, percentages, set pieces etc. If I remember he got worked out in that season and was less effective for the last 5 months... and the season before that...

Don’t forget with Rheady, though not his primary role, is excellent at the back whilst defending set pieces.....how many times does he get in good clearing headers as well as his obvious abilities up front. One of my favourite players over the last two seasons. I also hope we manage to keep Ollie and Whitehouse and Farms as a number two to Vickers (assuming we won’t get Allsop back)

Don’t forget with Rheady, though not his primary role, is excellent at the back whilst defending set pieces.....how many times does he get in good clearing headers as well as his obvious abilities up front. One of my favourite players over the last two seasons. I also hope we manage to keep Ollie and Whitehouse and Farms as a number two to Vickers (assuming we won’t get Allsop back)
Usually people do ignore the fact that he's back to defend every corner, and quite often the one to head it away. Not bad getting up and down the pitch to do so, despite his apparent lack of fitness. If only he was less flamboyant when fouled, they might actually get given!

Farman; he’s been a great servant to the club but I don’t think he’s going to be much more than a competent backup option now. A great shot stopper but doesn’t come for crosses which puts added pressure on the defence. Happy if he’s stays and accepts that backup role but not too disappointed if he leaves for first team football elsewhere.
Palmer; Did well to score us some vital goals from the bench. For me though, there’s just something missing from his game. I can’t put my finger on it exactly but can’t see him breaking into starting lineups on a regular basis. A good player to have around as an option but again, if he leaves for first team football I won’t be too disappointed.
Whitehouse; This is the player that I hope will stay and be given more first team football. He has really developed as a player in his time at Sincil Bank. Another one who quietly goes about his business in midfield without much fanfare. Gives 100% and chips in with a few goals. The work he does in pressing the opposition when they are in possession is impressive. In the absence of Woodyard, he might be the player to give our midfield some much needed bite.

Elswhere in the team...
A quality centre back is a must.
A quality left sided player is a must going forward.
Cover for Habergham is a must.
A pacey striker who is capable of scoring 20 a season is a must to keep the pressure on Green and to enable a ‘plan B’ when the tactics need changing and when Rhead is injured or otherwise out of the team. That’s the tricky one because those types of player don’t come cheaply and don’t want to be warming the bench!

Whitehouse is a true battler in the mould of Bossie, but without the same level of skill. His first touch is rarely great making his second often a tackle, his third touch can see the ball at least three metres away.

Sort that out and you have a player.

People are getting a bit carried away with Green here. He actually scored just 13 in the league and just 2 assists. The rest were in the cup and 1 in the play offs. I think he played all 46 as well. The goals per minute stats for the top 20 strikers in div 2 showed his strike rate was 19th. i’ll bow to the fact that his club physical stats show he puts in a lot of effort. But what i saw last season was someone who can’t hold the ball up for more than 1 second, extremely rare that he beats a defender for pace and gets a shot in. Seems to have no such understanding with Matt Rhead, (that we figured he would have from their Mansfield days). Rheady does win a lot of areal balls, but Green is always too far away. I think we need someone else as our main striker next season if we are wanting promotion.