Chesterfield | Page 3 | Vital Football

Chesterfield

Not sure Collingham. I quite like him but he’s very one footed. I think we will be setting our sights higher to be honest.

I for one would be very grateful if they decided that giving Wycombe a nasty shock tomorrow would be a good swansong... :please:

It could happen. No pressure on them. I went to Chester v Bromley just after Chester were relegated and Chester played really well and won

The answers are easily found on the excellent Bob's Board, which will be the best fans forum in the National League next season. The club will never admit to the actual cause of their problems - profiligate overspending on players and poor recruitment - although the hints are there between the lines. £2m on players this season alone is crazy. They are in this mess because they spent far too much money to get promotion from League Two on two separate occasions (2011 and 2014) and were not good enough to stay in League One. Madness compounding madness. Exactly what Mansfield are trying to do, in fact. Had the club been run within its means, the new stadium would have been a great asset. And to call Saltergate 'atmospheric' is stretching things - it was a rotting old dump wholly unfit for modern football, which is why they had to move.

As a footnote, some Chesterfield fans believe Kevin Davies - sacked by Southport this week - is the man to get them back to the FL. I really fear for them.

I see that Chesterfield had a long term terminally ill fan present the match ball at last nights game. Now where do you think that idea came from???

Nice touch though.

I see that Chesterfield had a long term terminally ill fan present the match ball at last nights game. Now where do you think that idea came from???

Nice touch though.

That chap rang Radio Sheffield's 'Football Heaven' programme last week and there was a rather awkward moment for the presenter Jonathan Buchan, after said fan told him he wasn't going to be watching Chesterfield ever again after this season.

"So, you're done with them now are you?" retorted Buchan, clearly thinking here was a fan who had finally had enough of the Spireites and wasn't about to watch them in the National League.

"Yes," replied the fan. "I won't be going to watch them next season because I have a terminal illness…"

Stunned silence from Buchan, who didn't really know how to respond to that and was sat there most probably regretting his previous sarcastic remark.

I think he resigned rather than he was sacked. Considering they were challenging at the top end of League One not so long ago and now facing trips to Bromley and Maidenhead, it has been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster what has happened to them.

And what is wrong with Bromley ? lol

Nothing much wrong with Maidenhead either, apart from the cost of housing.

They got the ground for a really good price, it appears the club has been poorly run since

Nothing much wrong with Maidenhead either, apart from the cost of housing.

They got the ground for a really good price, it appears the club has been poorly run since
Agreed about the town. As for the team they gave held their own I take you are from Maidenhead or close

The answers are easily found on the excellent Bob's Board, which will be the best fans forum in the National League next season. The club will never admit to the actual cause of their problems - profiligate overspending on players and poor recruitment - although the hints are there between the lines. £2m on players this season alone is crazy. They are in this mess because they spent far too much money to get promotion from League Two on two separate occasions (2011 and 2014) and were not good enough to stay in League One. Madness compounding madness. Exactly what Mansfield are trying to do, in fact. Had the club been run within its means, the new stadium would have been a great asset. And to call Saltergate 'atmospheric' is stretching things - it was a rotting old dump wholly unfit for modern football, which is why they had to move.

As a footnote, some Chesterfield fans believe Kevin Davies - sacked by Southport this week - is the man to get them back to the FL. I really fear for them.
Agree r.e. Bobs Board. It's an excellent forum, which has served as an investigative one for the most part over the last two or three years!

That chap rang Radio Sheffield's 'Football Heaven' programme last week and there was a rather awkward moment for the presenter Jonathan Buchan, after said fan told him he wasn't going to be watching Chesterfield ever again after this season.

"So, you're done with them now are you?" retorted Buchan, clearly thinking here was a fan who had finally had enough of the Spireites and wasn't about to watch them in the National League.

"Yes," replied the fan. "I won't be going to watch them next season because I have a terminal illness…"

Stunned silence from Buchan, who didn't really know how to respond to that and was sat there most probably regretting his previous sarcastic remark.

When told about someones serious illness, its suprising the reaction you get .

Things at Chesterfield run a lot deeper than their Stadium not working out (whether that's actually the case, I don't know).

Lots of Boardroom unrest there. Some of the things you read about over there...!

It's difficult to tell the cause and effect. Did the lure of the new stadium riches attract boardroom people to the club for the entirely wrong reasons? Too focused on the stadium and not enough on the football side? Almost certainly, is my gut feeling.

It's difficult to tell the cause and effect. Did the lure of the new stadium riches attract boardroom people to the club for the entirely wrong reasons? Too focused on the stadium and not enough on the football side? Almost certainly, is my gut feeling.

That could never happen to us, of course.

No.

Potentially. The article in the Guardian suggests Allen put 2m in, expecting to sell the Club off the back of a Championship promotion but has ended up putting double that in and not wanting to be there.

Not just that, though. Paul Mitchell, their Head of Recruitment got replaced by Guy Branston IIRC. The same Branston who's been blamed for poor recruitment at Chesterfield and then Notts County a season or two back.

Paul Cook was obviously a very good manager for the level as well.

Chesterfield have released next seasons away kit, which is black.

Problem being, you're not allowed a black away kit in the NL, so that's an awful lot of shirts they can't do anything with now!