Chesterfield | Page 2 | Vital Football

Chesterfield

Wouldn't surprise me to see them go into administration at some point, they can then cancel expensive contracts etc and start again. Not sure what the national leagues policy on that is though (points deduction?).

From Leyton Orient fans trust meeting notes:
If a league club were to be relegated to the Conference National from League Two but enters administration during the summer of that mid-season break, then do FL rules apply in terms of points deductions and financial payments or does that then come under the FA's / Football Conference umbrella and if so, what are the penalties in terms of points deductions and payments made to creditors?

Under both EFL Regulations (12.3) and National League Rules (14.A.2.3) should a club relegated from the EFL enter administration during the close season then the points deduction would be applied in the following season. The Club would start the season on minus 10 points. As a member of the National League then the club would be bound by its Rules. Rule 14 would apply.

Sounds like Lester stepped away because he didn't feel he had the knowledge of NL football to be able to carry on, which is commendable if so.

Him and DC speak regularly so I wonder whether a chat there made things dawn on him.

I think he was sacked. There are strong rumours of an imminent takeover (Reg Brealey of all people, if anyone else is old enough to remember him) with a management team already lined up. It has all the hallmarks, but why anyone would want to take over a club with such huge debts and so unpromising an outlook is a mystery to me.

Brealey has been involved in more clubs than Arnold Palmer. Where is he getting the money to take over a club with so much debt? He was declared bankrupt around 20 years ago, and wasn't he also being investigated for some dodgy dealings involving his brother? Surely he will never pass a fit and proper?

A hard working outside the box yet clinical in the box finisher would be better. Do they exist at our level?

Think Bradford were prepared to pay £150,000 for him in the last window but didn't happen of course.
Yes, and Burton Albion were interested as well. Lets face it we will be in a big scrum for anybody who's got an obviously good track record. I doubt we will be signing anybody that prolific unless his pay-packet isn't his number 1 priority.

80 this year.

Most online references say he was born Aug 1938, but there's one says Aug 1935. I can find the birth registration of a Reg J Brealey in the 3rd quarter of 1935, but not in 1938, so he will be approaching 83.

Flushed straight through ala Boston.

Aye they tend to take a much dimmer view than the PL and EFL on such matters (and rightly so).

Does make you wonder whether our ground move is all it’s cracked up to be. Chesterfield were being held up as the great example 4 of 5 years ago after they moved to the new stadium and cantered to a League 2 championship. Clearly that 365 days a year income from their conference and banqueting facilities hasn’t stopped a disastrous slide into non-League a few short years later. Maybe we should get the Selenity Stand sorted out after all...

That said, if you’re going to blow your non matchday income on £4,500 a week for Chris O’Grady, you’re probably not a particularly firm footing on any level if your business. He really is the 2018 version of Drewe Broughton isn’t he?

Aye they tend to take a much dimmer view than the PL and EFL on such matters (and rightly so).

Does make you wonder whether our ground move is all it’s cracked up to be. Chesterfield were being held up as the great example 4 of 5 years ago after they moved to the new stadium and cantered to a League 2 championship. Clearly that 365 days a year income from their conference and banqueting facilities hasn’t stopped a disastrous slide into non-League a few short years later. Maybe we should get the Selenity Stand sorted out after all...

That said, if you’re going to blow your non matchday income on £4,500 a week for Chris O’Grady, you’re probably not a particularly firm footing on any level if your business. He really is the 2018 version of Drewe Broughton isn’t he?

You have to be mindful of hubris, and hope the Cowleys see out their contracts, or have a consistent succession in place.

Ollie Palmer or Drewe Broughton (or Steve Torpey, or any number of deadweight strikers). We weren't necessarily convinced, now look. Talk about value added!!!

Things at Chesterfield run a lot deeper than their Stadium not working out (whether that's actually the case, I don't know).

Lots of Boardroom unrest there. Some of the things you read about over there...!

I don't think you can use Chesterfield as an example of why a Ground move didn't work. Too many other things going on would have masked any positive effect on finances the Stadium has had.

I don't think you can use Chesterfield as an example of why a Ground move didn't work. Too many other things going on would have masked any positive effect on finances the Stadium has had.

Exactly that. You have to separate an excellent stadium development from the lunacy employed in the running of the club and its finances. Without the income from the new stadium, they would be in an even bigger mess.

Anyone old enough to remember Viv Nicholson? That's the way Chesterfield have been run.