Chesterfield | Vital Football

Chesterfield

They have also been told nest seasons playing budget will be £1m. No idea how that compares to other clubs in the NL. They are in such disarray that £1m may well be well short of what they need to mount a challenge even for the top half. A season-long relegation battle for them is on the cards

Going to be a long road back for them. As you’ve pointed out in the past ScotImp, getting rid of Lester and appointing a manager with National League experience would be a start.

£1m is a decent budget in the NL, probably a top 3 one.

Getting rid of Lester would be a good start for them IMO. Nothing against him, he just likes the tippy tappy lightweight kinda style, so they'll end up like Orient under Davis at the beginning of this season.

Wonder whether John Sheridan will fancy it? Not sure he has any NL experience but he built a good Chesterfield side a few years ago albeit on a very good budget for the league.

Hung on to Lester far too long in hindsight similarly to ourselves and Tilson. Relied on young loanees to dig you out of a relegation fight isn’t the answer.

They are going to have to get rid of the majority of the big earners, and extremely quickly. If O'Grady is on £4500 per week (and estimates range from £4000 to £5000), he will take almost a quarter of that £1m himself.

The number of backroom staff - i.e. full time employees - will be slashed as well - I think we reduced our staff to just eight when we went down in 2011.

Just confirmed while I have been writing this - Lester sacked:

https://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/2018/april/20180423-departure-of-managerial-team-confirmed/

They must go for an experienced non-league manager with a track record of promotions to stand any chance. Simple as that.

They are going to have to get rid of the majority of the big earners, and extremely quickly. If O'Grady is on £4500 per week (and estimates range from £4000 to £5000), he will take almost a quarter of that £1m himself..

Which will require the contracts paying up or some form compo all which will eat into the £1m

The usual suspects being mentioned in connection with the job - Ronnie Moore, Russell Slade (!), Dean Saunders, Paul Cox, Gary Mills etc.

Mind you, Cox and Mills have won promotion from the Conference before, so are 'profile' managers in that respect.

I can see them going for Kevin Davies - former player, legend, inexperienced, completely the wrong choice etc.

They are going to have to get rid of the majority of the big earners, and extremely quickly. If O'Grady is on £4500 per week (and estimates range from £4000 to £5000), he will take almost a quarter of that £1m himself.

The number of backroom staff - i.e. full time employees - will be slashed as well - I think we reduced our staff to just eight when we went down in 2011.

Just confirmed while I have been writing this - Lester sacked:

https://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/news/2018/april/20180423-departure-of-managerial-team-confirmed/

They must go for an experienced non-league manager with a track record of promotions to stand any chance. Simple as that.

I think he resigned rather than he was sacked. Considering they were challenging at the top end of League One not so long ago and now facing trips to Bromley and Maidenhead, it has been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster what has happened to them.

I reckon this is the first time in 30 years we will have been a division above them. Quite shocking as the clubs are of comparable size.

The usual suspects being mentioned in connection with the job - Ronnie Moore, Russell Slade (!), Dean Saunders, Paul Cox, Gary Mills etc.

Mind you, Cox and Mills have won promotion from the Conference before, so are 'profile' managers in that respect.

I can see them going for Kevin Davies - former player, legend, inexperienced, completely the wrong choice etc.
Especially after it worked so well with Lester.
They probably think he watches non league footy for BT so will know what to do, priceless!!!

I think he resigned rather than he was sacked.

I think he was sacked. There are strong rumours of an imminent takeover (Reg Brealey of all people, if anyone else is old enough to remember him) with a management team already lined up. It has all the hallmarks, but why anyone would want to take over a club with such huge debts and so unpromising an outlook is a mystery to me.

Wouldn't surprise me to see them go into administration at some point, they can then cancel expensive contracts etc and start again. Not sure what the national leagues policy on that is though (points deduction?).