When is Scally going to spend some of the money?? | Vital Football

When is Scally going to spend some of the money??

daveycrocket

Vital Squad Member
Earlier in the season he was saying that he couldn't spend in case the court case against the caterers went against us. Well we got awarded £1.8 million for that didn't we?
Then there's the £750,000 from Dack's sale. There was nothing of the £500,000 spent from John Egan's sale the previous year either.
We desperately need to invest some quality players into this below average team if we seriously want to make a challenge for the play offs next season. Since Pompey away we've been awful. No wonder we just about scraped a 4,000 crowd tonight. Hess, Wilkinson, Ogilvie for example are all below league one standard.
I did hear recently that Scally had expanded his property empire in Saudi Arabia though, so that's good news then!!

I wouldn't get your hopes up. There's that, but there's also that lot we've suddenly got to pay back to that director who got into a little bit of bother in America.

[QUOTE="daveycrocket, post: 1373595, member: 13753"
I did hear recently that Scally had expanded his property empire in Saudi Arabia though, so that's good news then!![/QUOTE]

I think you will find that PS has no property in Saudi Arabia and never has - Foreigners are not allowed to own property in SA

Not banned Durham, but apparently a million restrictions around foreign ownership there.

I'd like to know what investment we should be making in the team right now? Didn't think we could until the off season. And back in January I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who thought we needed to change any players - except if the mythical 20+ goal a season striker came along in our budget.

edit - not to mention that "windfall" from centerplate. Hasn't it been explained a heap of times that it was money we (gills) were owed/had lost. Not extra on top that we (gills) could splash about.

We have not even be able to fill the ticket office with the right standard of staff most of the week. So I can't see Scally increasing the budget with crowds falling. Catch 22 really only way out is investment and that is unlikely to come from Mr Paul Scally .There is a better chance of him selling up .

I did hear recently that Scally had expanded his property empire in Saudi Arabia though, so that's good news then!!
If it's Dubai then you mean UAE, if you are correct maybe he has bought somewhere to retire to when he sells the club?

As I wrote earlier, we've sold players in the past and rarely if ever have the proceeds been used to fund new acquisitions

As I wrote earlier, we've sold players in the past and rarely if ever have the proceeds been used to fund new acquisitions
I’m not joining the “where’s the money gone” movement but surely now we can start increasing the playing budget. Fuck transfer fees in and out, we’re talking wage bill. We’ve got one of the lowest in the league. It’s been accepted given the centreplate case.

Surely by now with the yearly transfer fee payments and the centreplate money payments (minus the remaining catering investments stated by Scally earlier) we’re well enough to make any demanded payments to Anderson, which out of court will presumably drip-fed to him until he cries court. The centreplate money isn’t likely to be drip-fed to us. We’ve had our austerity for years while we repay the directors who have invested millions into the club following the restructuring of the non-written-off debt, along with centreplate. This must surely be it in terms of debtors.

The issue we have this summer is raising our turnover above where it is, what with the two-year season tickets and recent League-2 level attendances threatening to run into next season. Some perceived quality free signings to create a spine, particularly central midfield.

Last edited:
OK, I'll put it another way. Scally has balanced the books by selling players but that has largely been to the detriment of on-field performances. For SL to get anywhere next season then he'll have to have a massive clear out. I would keep only Holy, Ehmer, Zakuani, Eaves and Parker; otherwise, no others in the first team squad have really shown enough promise other than in the odd game or two.

Has anybody got an idea as to how many took up the offer of the cheaper season tickets covering two seasons that were on offer?

Obviously, if there was a big take up it will substantially reduce new season ticket income for the coming season meaning the belts have to be tightened further.

OK, I'll put it another way. Scally has balanced the books by selling players but that has largely been to the detriment of on-field performances. For SL to get anywhere next season then he'll have to have a massive clear out. I would keep only Holy, Ehmer, Zakuani, Eaves and Parker; otherwise, no others in the first team squad have really shown enough promise other than in the odd game or two.

Again no credit for actually signing the players in the first place and selling them for a higher amount and making a profit for the club!

As a lower league side we will always be a selling club and of course we will only sell the better players as they are the ones in demand and yes it will be to the detriment of the on- field performance but that is how lower league sides work.

With regards to spending on transfers, it was recently announced that we only spent £17000 on agents fees this season, which is the lowest in the division, as opposed to Blackburn who spent £760,000. This proves that we spent less than any other team in our league on players, which is very poor for a team with ambition to get into the championship!

Scally didn't sign players; he merely concluded contracts with the parties concerned. Others spotted and developed players not Scally. I understand running a small club like GFC can be difficult and credit has to go to the chairman for keeping the club afloat. On the other hand, with a huge catchment area, there should have been a much, much better PR machine at work as well as innovative pricing to get bums on seats and only then talk about a new stadium. In the lower divisions generally, clubs mend and make do; otherwise, you could end up with an incomplete stadium that Oxford has or worse the Darlington experience.

Last edited:
The biggest shame is that the drop in home form has drastically reduced the number of games where SL can be experimental with the line ups. Our ability to score goals has withered away and without Martin in midfield we are not passing through but playing the long ball or crossing from wide. This only really suits Eaves and Wilkinson so List, Nash, Nassieri and maybe Mbo have not been tried in more adventurous set ups. We have fairly good players that have been improved/motivated by SL to dig us out of relegation certainty. He will certainly have some targets in mind but it is frustrating to see attacking alternatives in the squad when the preferred option is misfiring. I'm also not sure there will be the massive clear out that some are hoping for.

With regards to spending on transfers, it was recently announced that we only spent £17000 on agents fees this season, which is the lowest in the division, as opposed to Blackburn who spent £760,000. This proves that we spent less than any other team in our league on players, which is very poor for a team with ambition to get into the championship!

Hang on. You actually want us to line the pockets of player agents?

Not sure you can compare us to Blackburn with their bigger fanbase, bigger stadium, parachute payments etc.

Also, I don't think the logic of paying the least agent fees "proves" we've spent the least on players. For example, I very much doubt our wage bill is the lowest in the division. Besides, I'd prefer our club be run tightly and still here in the coming years rather than splashing out willy-nilly.

I'd guess that money might be spent WHEN THE TRANSFER WINDOW OPENS.
Firstly, we’re talking playing budget rather than transfer fees. Secondly, we’re already talking about the end of the season given it’s upon us nearly, hence why we’re also talking about what players to release and keep.

Agent fees are like transfer fees. You can do business without such outlays. Just because we don’t spend money on fees it doesn’t necessarily mean a lack of finances. The playig budget in terms of salaries is the key indicator of investing in the team, and the key sign of stature.

Again no credit for actually signing the players in the first place and selling them for a higher amount and making a profit for the club!

As a lower league side we will always be a selling club and of course we will only sell the better players as they are the ones in demand and yes it will be to the detriment of the on- field performance but that is how lower league sides work.

You're either as deluded as PS or you are PS,Durham.

Let's congratulate PS on making some money for a business he owns, well done PS. But for every player we've ever made a profit on (and let's face it as WK says Scally hasn't identified,scouted, managed, coached the players, he's just done contract negotiations) there is a Kelvin Jack,Neil Master, Glen Thomas, Mark McCammon (spit) to name just a few,which have cost us far more in reputation alone

I've got a copy of the 'path to the premier league' brochure you/PS wrote back in 1998/1999, durham if you fancy having a read of our dear leaders plans back then (its fucking hilarious). Reading it now, the only thing he's ever had to piss in is the fucking water feature in reception.

He's been bluff and wind from day one.