When is Scally going to spend some of the money?? | Page 3 | Vital Football

When is Scally going to spend some of the money??

Ps For those who sneer I ask what people would have said if PS had said at the start, "of course this club will only ever be in leagues 1 or 2 and possibly have a couple of lucky years in the championship." ?

Or even, heaven forbid, suggest we would be "overachieving" if we reached the Championship or even the Premier;)

Referring to Medway Modernist's statement that we averaged 9000 in the Championship, that was large for us but I am pretty sure that we were always in the bottom four of attendance charts for the division. One club I remember was comparable at the time was Rotherham but not many others.

Do you really believe any of that Rob? If you do it is a counsel of despair. Building a larger fanbase is a long and painstaking business and includes some of the ideas put forward by Wayne and others. None of us think there is a magic bullet but our attendances are sliding and we need to address the issue.

One off offers/freebies and STs are different animals.

I'm not sure that Lincoln is a very good example given the number of years they spent stagnating in the Conference ! It's a lot easier to build your profile on the back of success which is exactly what Lincoln are doing now.

That brings us nicely back the original post. Unless we invest in the playing team that won't happen, not unless we take a step backwards first.

Bury and Northampton invested heavily in players last summer, Oh, and MK Dons have got a massive Premier League sized ground. Just sayin'.

Don't recall ever hearing that anywhere. He signed contracts with players based on it etc

I'm certain I watched an interview with him on ITV at the time when he stated that unlike other clubs we hadn't banked on the digital money coming in and it wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure that Lincoln is a very good example given the number of years they spent stagnating in the Conference ! It's a lot easier to build your profile on the back of success which is exactly what Lincoln are doing now.

Agreed and I though that was the point I was making. If we are serious about a new ground then we need to invest on the pitch to bring us the success that may just bring us the crowds.

Bury and Northampton invested heavily in players last summer, Oh, and MK Dons have got a massive Premier League sized ground. Just sayin'.

It doesn't guarantee success but it gives you a better chance. Our current squad are lower league one / league two quality. Lovell has done well to keep us up. Is it the same again next year or do we want to do better.

If we are happy flitting between league one and league 2 on 4,000 gates then thats fine but lets stop wasting what little money we have on fantasy stadium projects. If we really think we need a new stadium then we need the success on the pitch to attract the fans to fill it.

We need to stop neglecting on the pitch. We've had more court cases than home wins this year !

I am Rochester boy born and bred.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of fans actually come from outside the Medway Towns for games.

Medway still has the potential to support decent crowds,we have just never really tapped into it. Our visibility is actually quite low. No advertisements on local bill boards, shop windows or anything like that.

I spend a fair bit of time in Lincoln and it feels as if that city is fully behind the local team. They have had lots of success in the past few years so maybe that's what we need.

That brings us nicely back the original post. Unless we invest in the playing team that won't happen, not unless we take a step backwards first.

What about the non playing team: Nash, List, Moussa etc? :unsure:

"As regards arranging for tickets for those on benefits, that should be a must for all clubs to consider."

Wayne, you must be trolling as you surely cannot be that thick and stupid.

Unemployed people on benefits tend not to have any income and even if they are not struggling under the poverty line then they tend not to have too much disposable income after they have paid their bills from their benefits.

If you were a salesman trying to maximise your revenue then why would you spend money and resources deliberately targetting a group of people where 99.99% of the population would not be able to afford what you are trying to sell?

You moan at the club's marketing skills but then would prioritise on a policy guaranteed not to make any money and more likely cost the club.

What else would you prioritise? Would you go around homeless shealters trying to encourage the homeless to spend any money they have from begging on a ticket?

Referring to Medway Modernist's statement that we averaged 9000 in the Championship, that was large for us but I am pretty sure that we were always in the bottom four of attendance charts for the division. One club I remember was comparable at the time was Rotherham but not many others.

According to this site:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/gill.htm

we have only had an average attendance over 9000 once since 1965 and that was our first season in the Championship. The rest of the championship had averages of 8078-8602. Our average then dropped by about 2000 per match once we got relegated.

What about the non playing team: Nash, List, Moussa etc? :unsure:

I think if Lovel thought Nash and List were at the required standard then they would have played more. Moussa got injured at the wrong time. If we sign the likes of List for next season then I think that gives you a good indication of whether we will be competitive or not.

I think if Lovel thought Nash and List were at the required standard then they would have played more. Moussa got injured at the wrong time. If we sign the likes of List for next season then I think that gives you a good indication of whether we will be competitive or not.
Would Moussa play more in a Gillingham team who actually passed it through midfield, rather than the current side? Would signing him at the end of the season be an indication we’d play less God-awful hoofball?

Would Moussa play more in a Gillingham team who actually passed it through midfield, rather than the current side? Would signing him at the end of the season be an indication we’d play less God-awful hoofball?

He signed in January and played 20 mins in April (or late March). That kind of suggests Lovell doesn't rate him.

However anyone who has the ability to pass the ball to a team mate gets my vote. The weakest of the the three central midfielders is Hess in my view and I think he's the only one under contract for next season.

With regards to spending on transfers, it was recently announced that we only spent £17000 on agents fees this season, which is the lowest in the division, as opposed to Blackburn who spent £760,000. This proves that we spent less than any other team in our league on players, which is very poor for a team with ambition to get into the championship!

If you want more money to go to agents then you are barking mad.

You may call it dickering but the club has tried things and judged the schemes to be less than effective in bringing in revenue. It has been very much noticeable that dropping prices has very little real impact on the crowd and the matches with the noticeably bigger crowds are usually boosted by a generous handing out of free ticket to schools.
The club has tried NOTHING of real note and the original post talked about the need for real innovation not messing about at the margins. Innovation mens a structural change or it'll just be more of the same.

The club has tried NOTHING of real note and the original post talked about the need for real innovation not messing about at the margins. Innovation mens a structural change or it'll just be more of the same.
My ticket on Saturday is £10 in row P of the Rainham End. There’ll no doubt be 4k there.

My ticket on Saturday is £10 in row P of the Rainham End. There’ll no doubt be 4k there.

I know this has been discussed in the past but these deals are no good if

(a) Its not heavily promoted
(b) No one wants the product your selling

I know we don't have a budget to go marketing but surely they could do better promoting these deals. Maybe KOL could have included it in an interview with Lovell. Has anyone seen the offers mentioned recently.

(b) is far harder to address as to be honest that needs exciting high scoring games. You really don't associate our home form with high scoring games or excitement. To be honest watching gills at home is really dull with the hoof ball football.

I think the club will lose money on these deals as the gate will be about the same whether it was full price or a tenner.

A major problem to me is that you cannot just rock up as a last minute decision on the day as it takes aggggeeeeessss to get a ticket. Pay cash at the gate used to be good although I know it may be seen as a security issue but surely the away section could be pay on the day.

We can easily give over a section or sections for local schools for the whole of the season (future fanbase) plus advertise on social media and local media - most of this costs nothing but determination and effort.