RAF Scampton under threat | Page 4 | Vital Football

RAF Scampton under threat

Couple of things - For clarity I'm talking generally about the treatment of our military as opposed to illegal immigrants, including but also in addition to Scampton; and out of interest what do you understand to be their status specifically for Scampton?

If you have information that they are going to be for example former interpreters for the British Army from Afghanistan then absolutely fair enough (specifically to Scampton) for that particular air base. If they have entered the country illegally by boat and are seeking asylum status we have also had that discussion on here previously and agreed to disagree about what an illegal immigrant is.
Well one of those definitions is the formal legal interpretation of illegal immigrant and the other is yours, so when you use the words "illegal immigrant" I think for clarity you really should say "my definition of illegal immigrant and not the legal definition of illegal immigrant" or some such language. I mean I could call the use to which the government want to put RAF Scampton a "concentration camp" and simply say "well that's my definition of it". It wouldn't be a reasonable interpretation of what's happening but it would certainly amp up the confrontational rhetoric and could probably be interpreted as an active attempt to mislead those reading my posts.

Well one of those definitions is the formal legal interpretation of illegal immigrant and the other is yours, so when you use the words "illegal immigrant" I think for clarity you really should say "my definition of illegal immigrant and not the legal definition of illegal immigrant" or some such language. I mean I could call the use to which the government want to put RAF Scampton a "concentration camp" and simply say "well that's my definition of it". It wouldn't be a reasonable interpretation of what's happening but it would certainly amp up the confrontational rhetoric and could probably be interpreted as an active attempt to mislead those reading my posts.
So you were just re-visiting what we had already discussed regarding illegal immigrants.

The same argument must apply for terms like Nazi, fascist and racist that get bandied about on here with gay abandon at times then ;)

So you were just re-visiting what we had already discussed regarding illegal immigrants.

The same argument must apply for terms like Nazi, fascist and racist that get bandied about on here with gay abandon at times then ;)
I'll take that as an acknowledgement that they are, in fact, not illegal immigrants then...

There is a strong argument that there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant. Illegal refers to actions and things and doesn't apply to people. Illegal immigration on the other hand, is slightly different. I don't believe that it is necessarily illegal to enter the UK via an unregulated route (e.g. in 'the boats'), it only becomes an illegal action if you fail to apply for asylum once you land.

Having gone through the asylum application process, you can then be found to have had no right to have come here and at that point you can be arrested for illegal entry (although very few are). So, anyone waiting for processing of their asylum claim (which is currently taking years) is neither an 'illegal immigrant', here illegally, or has necessarily done anything wrong at all.

A lot of this symantics seems simply designed to influence the stupid, ignorant and ill-informed. Which it tends to do very well - 'Get Brexit Done', 'Brexit means Brexit', Woke etc. etc.