Youngster to united | Vital Football

Youngster to united

Southern red

Vital Champions League
Apparently according to our resident office Man U fan, they are after one of our 16/17 year olds?

As he won’t be pro contract is that for peanuts?

‘resident office United fans’ - don’t you just love em!
My ( Nottingham born ) Liverpool ‘supporting’ neighbour has enquired as to my plans to watch / support ‘the Reds ( & their cute / loveable scouse fans ) in the Champions League final. I have, thus far, not responded - any recommendations as to how I should handle this delicate subject!

My ( Nottingham born ) Liverpool ‘supporting’ neighbour has enquired as to my plans to watch / support ‘the Reds ( & their cute / loveable scouse fans ) in the Champions League final. I have, thus far, not responded - any recommendations as to how I should handle this delicate subject!

Shit in your hand, present it to them and tell them to eat it.

This subject often crops up and it seems the majority of people are happy to support English teams in Europe and want them to win the trophies. I think this is essentially some form of patriotism, people wanting England to triumph over foreigners.

My innate instinctive reaction is: f**k them and I want them to lose.

As a supporter of a team playing in an English league I do not want other teams to be more successful than my own, further line their pockets perpetuating the already enormous gulf, have other supporters especially the plastic ones hundreds of miles from the teams home base remind me how amazing and by contrast how shite my team is, listen to the media jizzing themselves senseless in a frenzy of hyperbole (especially about Liverpool) and have to suffer the further general advancement of any winning team in the future through greater exposure and follow up – more Liverpool shirts on kids in Nottingham for example. I might make an exception for an unfashionable outfit that had not at some point offended me, say Bury or Bristol Rovers but as I write that I feel the hackles rising.

We have a proud European record, why let other teams catch up or in Liverpool’s case get further away from us in the record books?

I do not care if fans of foreign teams are celebrating success, I do not see it or think about it. But I do not want to listen to it at home.

Yes perhaps this is miserable but this is how I feel. So I would want any team from anywhere else in Europe to beat Liverpool. Ok, not ideal it’s Real Madrid, for many reasons and they have had enough success but even so I will be willing them on.

Are the club still hosting the bash in the Robin Hood Suite - watch the game in company of Fray, Clark, Barrett & Birtles for £59 +vat?

Was hoping that this would be cancelled once they saw the reaction but no doubt hordes of scousers will be parting with their hard earned giros to sup beer & throw smoke bombs inside the City Ground ( never believed in stereotyping ).

This subject often crops up and it seems the majority of people are happy to support English teams in Europe and want them to win the trophies. I think this is essentially some form of patriotism, people wanting England to triumph over foreigners.

As a supporter of a team playing in an English league I do not want other teams to be more successful than my own, further line their pockets perpetuating the already enormous gulf, have other supporters especially the plastic ones hundreds of miles from the teams home base remind me how amazing and by contrast how shite my team is, listen to the media jizzing themselves senseless in a frenzy of hyperbole (especially about Liverpool) and have to suffer the further general advancement of any winning team in the future through greater exposure and follow up – more Liverpool shirts on kids in Nottingham for example. I might make an exception for an unfashionable outfit that had not at some point offended me, say Bury or Bristol Rovers but as I write that I feel the hackles rising.

We have a proud European record, why let other teams catch up or in Liverpool’s case get further away from us in the record books?

I do not care if fans of foreign teams are celebrating success, I do not see it or think about it. But I do not want to listen to it at home.

Yes perhaps this is miserable but this is how I feel. So I would want any team from anywhere else in Europe to beat Liverpool. Ok, not ideal it’s Real Madrid, for many reasons and they have had enough success but even so I will be willing them on.

"My innate instinctive reaction is: f**k them and I want them to lose."

What a great post; you should contribute far more often.

The bondswell lad has rejected numerous contracts from us. Is it just me who seriously questions young kids who are rejecting contracts from a club with a great rep for producing and have nurtured you before you've even turned pro!

Says it all about modern football

The bondswell lad has rejected numerous contracts from us. Is it just me who seriously questions young kids who are rejecting contracts from a club with a great rep for producing and have nurtured you before you've even turned pro!

Unfortunately there is nothing much we can do about it; the cost of the PL slush fund trickling down to the lower leagues is allowing the big clubs access to our Academy.

The kid is probably taking advice from greedy parents who only have his short term future in mind.

A quick look at the small list of players who have left in similar circumstances should deter him from leaving, but it most probably wont.

My innate, instinctive reaction is f**k him, I hope his career fails.

Obvious 2 fingered salute

Unfortunately there is nothing much we can do about it; the cost of the PL slush fund trickling down to the lower leagues is allowing the big clubs access to our Academy.

The kid is probably taking advice from greedy parents who only have his short term future in mind.

A quick look at the small list of players who have left in similar circumstances should deter him from leaving, but it most probably wont.

Having said that, we have just released a couple of young lads who by all accounts have had good seasons. That could easily be their career done with.

Were I a 'greedy parent' of this lad I wouldn't be inclined to risk his potential career on whoever happens to be forest manager this month.

Man Utd will offer more money in what could well be a short career. He won't get to play but the chances of making it here aren't astonishing either. It's probably the difference between a 5% chance and a 0.2% chance.

The difference is that if/when Man Utd discard him he will have the reputation of having been through their academy and might even get some decent loan spells first. This should give him a decent chance to start his career in the lower leagues.

When we discard him it will most likely be deep into lower league territory from which it is difficult to return.

So yes, as a parent I would do the same. If you are going to get binned by your club it might as well be a huge one and get you a good wage packet in the mean time.

I don't disagree, but the flip side of that is that European success raises the reputation and profile of the English Leagues and encourages good players from abroad to come here.

The best players in the world want to come to La Liga, The PL or the Bundesliga. Everything else, including Serie A is a second choice. That isn't just because of pay, it's because English teams have a reputation for being strong through their European exploits.

That does trickle down as well. Look at a programme from 20 years ago and look at the kinds of players playing at this level then and compare to now

Having said that, we have just released a couple of young lads who by all accounts have had good seasons. That could easily be their career done with.

Were I a 'greedy parent' of this lad I wouldn't be inclined to risk his potential career on whoever happens to be forest manager this month.

Man Utd will offer more money in what could well be a short career. He won't get to play but the chances of making it here aren't astonishing either. It's probably the difference between a 5% chance and a 0.2% chance.

The difference is that if/when Man Utd discard him he will have the reputation of having been through their academy and might even get some decent loan spells first. This should give him a decent chance to start his career in the lower leagues.

When we discard him it will most likely be deep into lower league territory from which it is difficult to return.

So yes, as a parent I would do the same. If you are going to get binned by your club it might as well be a huge one and get you a good wage packet in the mean time.

I do not think that first team managers and coaches get involved with micro managing the running of their respective Academies; they will be aware of what is happening but they tend to leave the decision making down to the people who run the Academy.

The parents I was alluding to are not the ones who have the development of the child at heart, but are more interested in what inducements are offered.

Going for more money on the basis that you have a potentially short career is still short termism which ever way you look at it.

I'm not entirely sure that being discarded by United gives the player a better chance of making it in the lower leagues than he would at Forest; we have a great reputation for developing young players that is why the likes of Notts County, Scunthorpe, Shrewsbury, Stevenage and others want to take them on loan.

That used to be the case for me but now the teams of these clubs are populated by foreign players as such I have no affinity whatsoever with them in any greater way over those of other teams based out of England.

Also, as I cannot now watch the champions league games on the telly live, I have absolutely no interest in the competition either.

The Championship is where it's at for me now.

I do not think that first team managers and coaches get involved with micro managing the running of their respective Academies; they will be aware of what is happening but they tend to leave the decision making down to the people who run the Academy.

The parents I was alluding to are not the ones who have the development of the child at heart, but are more interested in what inducements are offered.

Going for more money on the basis that you have a potentially short career is still short termism which ever way you look at it.

I'm not entirely sure that being discarded by United gives the player a better chance of making it in the lower leagues than he would at Forest; we have a great reputation for developing young players that is why the likes of Notts County, Scunthorpe, Shrewsbury, Stevenage and others want to take them on loan.

Otim, Smith and Walters have just been released and to my knowledge none of them had the opportunity to go on loan. Only a minority get that far. What now for those three lads? Released from a poorly performing Championship club is not a credential that tends to produce a contract.

I can imagine most clubs being willing to at least look at a Man Utd reject.

I honestly don't see how any parent can look at a career in football in anything other than short termism. Your only possible assumption as a teenage footballer about your future career is that you are unlikely to have one..

Will this lad have better coaches at Man Utd? Yes. Will he get more money? Yes. Will he be playing alongside better young players? Yes. Is he more likely to end up as a top flight player? Yes.

It's a no brainer. Frustrating for us maybe

"Will this lad have better coaches at Man Utd? Yes. Will he get more money? Yes. Will he be playing alongside better young players? Yes. Is he more likely to end up as a top flight player? Yes."

Playing along side better players brings increased competition; the rewards for success will be greater but they have a fall out rate that is much higher than ours.

Its not all plain sailing at United; their Under 23s have just been relegated, which was pretty embarrassing for manager Nicky Butt

also point out that at our current level development goes both ways in that we can propel players to a higher league but also prepare others for a solid lower league career too. Not sure that would be the case at united and players may find it even more difficult to adjust- i think it just increases their risk full stop, i.e. if the chance of success rises from 0.2 to 0.5% then the impact of failure also rises similarly.

purely on the basis of player development (not including inducements and other factors) it ain't as clear cut as his holiness might think