Youngster to united | Page 2 | Vital Football

Youngster to united

Otim, Smith and Walters have just been released and to my knowledge none of them had the opportunity to go on loan. Only a minority get that far. What now for those three lads? Released from a poorly performing Championship club is not a credential that tends to produce a contract.

I can imagine most clubs being willing to at least look at a Man Utd reject.

I honestly don't see how any parent can look at a career in football in anything other than short termism. Your only possible assumption as a teenage footballer about your future career is that you are unlikely to have one..

Will this lad have better coaches at Man Utd? Yes. Will he get more money? Yes. Will he be playing alongside better young players? Yes. Is he more likely to end up as a top flight player? Yes.

It's a no brainer. Frustrating for us maybe

Walters was on loan at Barrow & didn't pull up any trees. He's 23 & joined us, after being released by Leeds - had some injury issues too.

Otim & Smith - both 'ok' players, but academy football is ruthless and with what we have coming through - they were probably going to struggle. Also - thought it was a 'mutual' release scenario, so they may have opportunity to try their hand at a different club.

Mighten & Bondswell.... not sure I agree about better coaches, but they will certainly be amongst better players. It is the finances that will dictate in some cases - in others, they will want the best chance of access to the first team - which has been a real strength at NFFC !!!

I don't disagree, but the flip side of that is that European success raises the reputation and profile of the English Leagues and encourages good players from abroad to come here.

The best players in the world want to come to La Liga, The PL or the Bundesliga. Everything else, including Serie A is a second choice. That isn't just because of pay, it's because English teams have a reputation for being strong through their European exploits.

That does trickle down as well. Look at a programme from 20 years ago and look at the kinds of players playing at this level then and compare to now

Yes, in trying to being rational I think you're right. However, it doesn't outweigh my emotional assessment!

It’s always a huge draw when a prem side wants you, but surely these kids realise it’s just a bigger pool in which to try and shine?

As to Liverpool...I may be petty but I really dislike them, I like klopp and think he’s great for the league but Liverpool fans....no thanks

I don't disagree, but the flip side of that is that European success raises the reputation and profile of the English Leagues and encourages good players from abroad to come here.

The best players in the world want to come to La Liga, The PL or the Bundesliga. Everything else, including Serie A is a second choice. That isn't just because of pay, it's because English teams have a reputation for being strong through their European exploits.

That does trickle down as well. Look at a programme from 20 years ago and look at the kinds of players playing at this level then and compare to now

Its not just because of pay but that is most definitely the overwhelming factor.

If Johnny foreigner has been coming for European Cup success he must have been pretty disappointed.

Liverpool's appearance in the final is the first by an English club since the 2011/12 season when Chelsea won it.

English clubs will have made 10 appearances in the Finals, one of which was an all English affair, winning 4 times, since the advent of the PL.

Not a very good return on investment for the Worlds richest Clubs.

By comparison, the two Uber Leagues you bracket with the "Worlds Best League" have managed 8 appearances by German clubs, resulting in 3 wins and 15 appearances by Spanish clubs resulting in 10 wins.

The Italian league, who you write off, have supplied 13 finalists winning it 5 times.

Any footballer looking for success should be heading for the Iberian peninsular; any footballer who is looking for the big pay day should be heading to this Country or, of course, to PSG.

Its not just because of pay but that is most definitely the overwhelming factor.

If Johnny foreigner has been coming for European Cup success he must have been pretty disappointed.

Liverpool's appearance in the final is the first by an English club since the 2011/12 season when Chelsea won it.

English clubs will have made 10 appearances in the Finals, one of which was an all English affair, winning 4 times, since the advent of the PL.

Not a very good return on investment for the Worlds richest Clubs.

By comparison, the two Uber Leagues you bracket with the "Worlds Best League" have managed 8 appearances by German clubs, resulting in 3 wins and 15 appearances by Spanish clubs resulting in 10 wins.

The Italian league, who you write off, have supplied 13 finalists winning it 5 times.

Any footballer looking for success should be heading for the Iberian peninsular; any footballer who is looking for the big pay day should be heading to this Country or, of course, to PSG.

That wasn't what I said at all Mao.

Of course they aren't coming for direct European success. They are coming for pay and because the PL has a reputation as one of the strongest leagues in the world, hence why they want to be in it.

In the 1990's Serie A held that mantel. But 20 years of fairly weak overall performances in Europe among other inherent weaknesses has meant that serie a is no longer the league of choice.

England has done well, no question. The likes of Fulham and Middlesborough getting to the Uefa/Europa final tells us that, something only La Liga can really match. English teams lose more finals than they win but that's not necessarily the point- for 15 years we have had a strong showing in the later stages and the PL's reputation has risen accordingly

That wasn't what I said at all Mao.

Of course they aren't coming for direct European success. They are coming for pay and because the PL has a reputation as one of the strongest leagues in the world, hence why they want to be in it.

In the 1990's Serie A held that mantel. But 20 years of fairly weak overall performances in Europe among other inherent weaknesses has meant that serie a is no longer the league of choice.

England has done well, no question. The likes of Fulham and Middlesborough getting to the Uefa/Europa final tells us that, something only La Liga can really match. English teams lose more finals than they win but that's not necessarily the point- for 15 years we have had a strong showing in the later stages and the PL's reputation has risen accordingly

We lag well behind La Liga as far as Europa Cup success goes as well; 7 appearances resulting in 3 wins from English Clubs as opposed to 11 appearances and 8 wins for Spanish sides.

8 appearances and 5 wins for Italian sides and a miserable 5 appearances and 2 wins form German clubs.

The competition has also been good for the less popular Spanish sides with Deportivo Alaves and Espanyol also getting to the final.

I doubt whether a repeat of England's domination of European competitions during the 70s and 80s will ever be repeated, despite the obscene amounts of money being thrown at it.

We lag well behind La Liga as far as Europa Cup success goes as well; 7 appearances resulting in 3 wins from English Clubs as opposed to 11 appearances and 8 wins for Spanish sides.

8 appearances and 5 wins for Italian sides and a miserable 5 appearances and 2 wins form German clubs.

The competition has also been good for the less popular Spanish sides with Deportivo Alaves and Espanyol also getting to the final.

I doubt whether a repeat of England's domination of European competitions during the 70s and 80s will ever be repeated, despite the obscene amounts of money being thrown at it.

Like you say- well behind Spain but ahead of Italy and Germany (surprised to see Germany fourth). It's no coincidence that the best players want to play in the league with the highest coefficients20180516_192843.jpg