Worried | Page 2 | Vital Football

Worried

Yes, I know regular posters will say, hey Charlz is on here again being worried BUT with our ineffective dabbling in the transfer market and with our supposed targets getting away, I really am worried about our prospects this season. I sincerely hope that GC has got some rabbit up his sleeve that we haven't heard about yet because everything seems quiet on the transfer front with not long to go until the window shuts. I really don't want us to be in a relegation scrap this season but the feel good factor from last year seems to be evaporating fast.
Yes, I know regular posters will say, hey Charlz is on here again being worried BUT with our ineffective dabbling in the transfer market and with our supposed targets getting away, I really am worried about our prospects this season. I sincerely hope that PC has got some rabbit up his sleeve that we haven't heard about yet because everything seems quiet on the transfer front with not long to go until the window shuts. I really don't want us to be in a relegation scrap this season but the feel good factor from last year seems to be evaporating fast

Like I’ve said somewhere before, it’s like deja vu or Groundhog Day........nothing much seems to have changed from 2016 does it!

Our situation is no different to at least half the clubs in the Championship. It seems like there's a handful of clubs splashing money around, and the rest, of which we are one, are struggling to get deals over the line.

That said, I'm still not concerned. I've long thought that we should give our youngsters a chance, and that may well be the plan. They'll never develop into great players unless they get some first team action, so we have to bite the bullet at some point and take that gamble.

Also, it seems like the players we've actually going to bring in are under the radar. I heard nothing of Marshall until the deal was all but done, and McLeod only popped up yesterday when things are supposedly pretty well advanced. A lot of those we're supposedly linked to are just paper talk, so not getting them isn't really a concern.

Main targets (that we're talking abbot paying fees for) have their own reasons for not being done yet: Pompey are clinging on to Lowe for a better fee (can't blame them), but he's wanting to leave so history tells us it's only a matter of time, and Robinson's status was in the air to a point so we're waiting for Everton to make a decision. Not ideal but they're legit reasons not to do with the way Latics are handling things... Unless we want to simply cave and overpay for players.

Between our youngsters coming through who I hope will get some action, the squad we already have which isn't as bad as a lot of people make out, and a handful of decent signings: Marshall is an excellent one that will make a big difference not only in goal but his effect on organising the defence, as well as any still to come, I think we'll be fine. We won't be champions but we're good enough to be mid table. A year of experience at this level for Cook and the players will also help a lot.

As a club we've got a lot of form for not announcing targets and approaches until we know they're happening (for good reason given our budget and not wanting to highlight good players to other clubs). I'm not worried. I may be if we get no-one else, but we've still got plenty time to get deals away. Start of the season is the deadline, and I'm confident the club is working hard behind the scenes to get players who can make a real difference. I don't want to sign players for the sake of padding the squad. Every player we sign needs to bring something meaningful to the squad.

Like I’ve said somewhere before, it’s like deja vu or Groundhog Day........nothing much seems to have changed from 2016 does it!
New Owner, different manager, new shirt sponsor, new stadium sponsor(soon), new indoor training centre announced, new supporters bar announced, new screen erected, new ticketing system installed, no Charlz nothing has changed since 2016

New Owner, different manager, new shirt sponsor, new stadium sponsor(soon), new indoor training centre announced, new supporters bar announced, new screen erected, new ticketing system installed, no Charlz nothing has changed since 2016
I think she was referring to our speed in the transfer market.

Wasn't it Nathan Thomas who's left Portsmouth recently, I think he's a right back but not sure. Maybe it was him given the Cook link

Like Pon I am not biting my fingernails at present. I agree with him about not buying players to pad out the team and I would extend this to loan players as well. We need players that are better than the ones already at the club, we have squad players available, we now need first choice replacements to fill the gaps left by James and Powell. Hopefully the left back problem will sort itself out as and when Everton decide that Robinson is surplus to their requirements.

Looking at McCleods record he could be a decent replacement for Powell having played for Scotland at all levels up to U21's. I know he has had a testing time with injuries over the past couple of seasons, which is probably the reason we are able to be in the race for him, but up until the injuries happened he was looking likely to become a full international.

That leaves us looking for a replacement for James. Probably an impossibility to find anyone like for like on our budget but we still have Evans who can play the defensive mid position if all else fails and we cant get anyone of suitable quality in on loan or permanent.

As far as the loan players go I am in favour of giving our own youth a chance and unless there is someone of outstanding quality available I would be happy to throw some of them in. I don't believe any of them are ready to play a full season at championship level, however I believe they are good enough to be thrust in as cover players and being around the first team on a regular basis whilst playing for the development team would still give them regular playing time.