World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment | Page 34 | Vital Football

World Cup 2018 Fred sponsored by Unfounded Optimism followed by Abject Disappointment

Brazil or Sweden haven't reached theQF yet though chap. Personally I don't feel that Brazil will win it anyway and feel we would have a chance against them if we did get to meet them.

Neither Brazil or Sweden are there yet though chap! If we got through I would be happy to play a so called big team to see if we were capable of winning it.

Either team . Could see us winning or losing either team..

I can absolutely see England losing to Sweden (or Switzerland).

Not half as easily as I can see them losing to Brazil though.

I can see a scenario where they beat Brazil, but there aren't many and they aren't likely.

If we played Sweden 10 times in a row with no draws, how many of those would you expect England to win? 6 maybe?

What about Brazil ten times in a row? In that scenario I would expect England to win once, twice at the most.

If you want to see your team reach the semi finals then you have to edge with the balance of probability that Sweden are the desirable opponents.

England's last semi final was the result of getting to play Belgium and Cameroon instead of the big teams. The squad felt they had a bye into the semis. It still wasn't easy!

Cameroon were better than us on that night though chap .They were as hard as game as we had.

And you think the players will believe in a coach who advocates losing? You think it won’t hurt morale? It’s playing with fire and likely to burn you.

Personally I would rather play with a degree of integrity.

I'm not suggesting that Southgate tell them to deliberately throw the game. I'm not sure that is even possible

I'm not suggesting that Southgate tell them to deliberately throw the game. I'm not sure that is even possible
So how do you make sure we finish second? You either tell the team to lose or tell players to get booked. Who do you tell? Who do you sacrifice and how do you explain it to them? ‘Listen Gary I know you want to play but tough shit you are fifth choice so go out and get yourself booked, there’s a good lad...’

You wouldn’t be able to rely on him again and nobody would trust the manager.

I was extremely competitive when I used to pull on a pair of boots and always wanted to win even in meaningless friendlies , the thought that a team could go out and not try and win doesn't sit well with me at all.
If it looked like we didn't try to win tomorrow and then still went out on the "easier" path to the final can you imagine how that would go down ?
I for one would totally lose all respect for the team and the manager anyway.
I just want to see 100% effort whatever the outcome.
What will be will be.

In fact if it looked like we wasn't trying tomorrow but did in fact go on to win the trophy it would always be tainted by the " false" game.
Germany v Austria 82 sticks in my mind when it was so obvious they played out the game for a 1-0 German win so both qualified at the expense of Algeria .
I was so pleased Italy beat the cheating bastards in the final.

I didn’t actually say anything though duck I could add that it’d be Germany who embarrass themselves or it’ll be Germany that we don’t have to worry about this year. Or I could fully JP my way out of it & claim it was bantz. Not that I care a jot.

I didn’t actually say anything though duck I could add that it’d be Germany who embarrass themselves or it’ll be Germany that we don’t have to worry about this year. Or I could fully JP my way out of it & claim it was bantz. Not that I care a jot.
Smooth:hehe::clap:

So how do you make sure we finish second? You either tell the team to lose or tell players to get booked. Who do you tell? Who do you sacrifice and how do you explain it to them? ‘Listen Gary I know you want to play but tough shit you are fifth choice so go out and get yourself booked, there’s a good lad...’

You wouldn’t be able to rely on him again and nobody would trust the manager.

You can start with what Belgium are reportedly doing and making up to ten changes! Belgium don't seem to be worried about momentum. They are worried about players on yellow cards and Brazil.

You can't guarentee anything and you certainly can't 'throw' the game on the pitch but if Belgium are likely to make big changes and play a weakened team, largely for this reason then we would be idiots not to reciprocate.

What we need out there is a team of Raheem Sterling's and then the easy route to the semis is assured

wow, kane less than 2/1 fav and ive got 10's.. along with us winning it at 15/1. i could make a tidy profit cashing out now . you whites

I can absolutely see England losing to Sweden (or Switzerland).

Not half as easily as I can see them losing to Brazil though.

I can see a scenario where they beat Brazil, but there aren't many and they aren't likely.

If we played Sweden 10 times in a row with no draws, how many of those would you expect England to win? 6 maybe?

What about Brazil ten times in a row? In that scenario I would expect England to win once, twice at the most.

If you want to see your team reach the semi finals then you have to edge with the balance of probability that Sweden are the desirable opponents.

England's last semi final was the result of getting to play Belgium and Cameroon instead of the big teams. The squad felt they had a bye into the semis. It still wasn't easy!

fook me, your usual negativity even about england too then, not just about us. least thats something, more a personality issue rather than the derby fan in disguise