workers shortage in the country | Page 2 | Vital Football

workers shortage in the country

your right in certain areas mike, as farmers will have to change anyway especially if we do pull out of the eu, there little gravy train will end. hence the idea of getting people back on the land and even be an exporter of food.

this is part of the bigger problem, the eu pays farmers not to farm, whilst at the same time people are asking why are countries like brazil, usa, think even parts of russia are stepping up with crops of sugar beet and turning into bio diesel, wouldnt it be great if we could as well?

one farmer i was talking to on saturday night, having a chat about different methods of farming and he was fairly honest and bluntly said ... the problem with farming is we can only look to 2 years in front, where as before they could look to 10 years in front (even longer before as with crop rotation etc).

Most prisons do run 'private enterprise' even if it's laundry for local hotels and it enables the prisoners to earn as well with the idea of helping introduce them to work but it doesn't seem widespread enough especially with the handouts they get anyway.

We should be able to, I don't believe we have the land to be fully self sustaining but we could certainly do a hell of a lot more than we do at the moment farming and livestock wise.

Again as we discussed a few months back, importing coal from South America when we still have viable pits ourselves - why keep sustaining other economies when we can regrow our own to a certain level, create jobs, etc.

In a strict RRP sense it may work out more expensive than just importing in some cases, but it's the overall benefit you have to look at.

Yup in many ways they hamstring themselves now because they can't plan too far because of applying for grants and subsidy - it holds them back from planning and achievement growth, because why put the work and money in if in 18 months you can grab yourself a grant for the same potential just for filling in a few forms.

It's madness.

I know a prison warden, he says it isn't imposed on prisoners and most just cannot be bothered Mike.

They should be made to work for their 'keep' even though they don't want to be kept there!

as far as i remember most prisons do try and be self sufficient as much as possible, obviously they cant guard themselves but kitchens and work wise, only have to look at the old episodes of porridge to see fletcher doing his bit on the farm lol

in the main with the right policies, more so when it comes down to land and road building through to coal and energy this country has the potential to have full employment but who would benefit most? more importantly if there was a net worth of jobs how many would still remain unemployed? and then ask the question of why?

various governments in the past have tried the carrot approach, some even with a little stick, at times it should be no more mr nice guy approach.

Yup think it's up to individual wardens to implement mate, but even then it's only a small number really. Far, far more could be done and it could be made compulsary - or should that be should be made compulsary.

Unfortunately we now find ourselves in the daft position of trying to make the right changes to offset Labour's drive for easy votes.

It isn't down to the wardens though Mike, down to the prisoners, probably because of this politically correct world and human rights.

What he has told me has been a real eye opener actually!

Well yeah they have to be willing, but there are schemes out there. As said should be compulsary of you lose further freedoms.

The Fear - 17/7/2013 15:28

It isn't down to the wardens though Mike, down to the prisoners, probably because of this politically correct world and human rights.

What he has told me has been a real eye opener actually!
Most do work though J if you don't get any pay but that's when they are in convicted nicks.In what they call local nicks ie Winson Green where you go whilst awaiting allocation there aint that many jobs anyway.

Good thread.

That will always be a problem with piece work (which I expect this work to be). It is not an hourly rate, it is based on how much you pick. It is a problem in Australia too. People can make very good money picking fruit. I met a couple of career fruit pickers whilst living several hours west of Sydney. However it is often the sort of job backpackers, recent migrants or students on vacation do, desperate for quick 'easy' money or to extend their visas. But in reality the work is tough, it is hot, involves heavy lifting at times, climbing up ladders, encounters with bees, wasps, spiders, etc. and if you don't bust your hump you won't be financially rewarded. And I think it is more a young person's game this one - very physically demanding.

Piece work won't be effective with gen Y as there is a real sense of entitlement, it's all about 'what's in it for me?'. Graduates expect to be on CEO wages straight out of uni. That's generalising and not to say there are no hard workers amongst my generation. The Baby Boomers generally dislike the attitude and work ethic of Gen Y.