Woodyard | Page 4 | Vital Football

Woodyard

Fair to say Woodyard’s main strengths are defensive. On the evidence of 360 minutes without conceding a goal, we seem okay in that area.

Additions should strengthen areas where key injury/suspension would cause problems. Centre half is obvious one. God knows who would have played there if Bolger’s illness had prevented him playing against Accrington.

A tall midfield player like O’Hara who could do a job for a few games, or a centre half that could also play holding midfield would be ideal in my mind.

Another forward player would also be good. Not sure we could replace Payne but we could reorganise with Grant and Andrade both playing... but would begin to look thin with a couple of forward injuries. So that would be next priority if we could find right man within our finances.

Woodyard is a good player but not sure he’s what we need at the moment.

I wouldn't necessarily rule this out-Woodyard is a quality player. If we were to sell Pett and release Freck to make room, then maybe.Posh will no doubt want a ridiculous fee for him which would put a dampener on things.

I fear this Woodyard rumour is just speculation without fact.
Maybe his pr1ck of an agent is trying to drum up interest in his player to churn him on before the window closes and collect a fee.....likely scenario.
As you say Woodyard is top quality and our holding players are as follows,Morrell a loanee and no like for like replacement in the squad....(nearest type of player is Pett injured,)
Both Bossie and MOC are capable holding midfielders but are a little short on mobility.
Poor old Freck is out of the picture with various injuries and young Chapman is more suited to a creative than defensive role.
We have midfield numbers but not availability.
Personally if Posh decide not to play him and his agent can`t move him on then DC will be on the dog making enquiries.

I always refer to having Woodyard is like playing with 12 men in your first 11 and i would have him back in a heartbeat.(REALITY NO CHANCE/SPECULATION)

To the line"we have moved on" i disagree............currently we have 1 mobile holding midfielder and he is a loanee who might even get a recall (on a season loan)
(top quality high energy,46 games a season players,never injured,never sent off,...they are gold dust!)...........ignore them at your peril.

Last edited:
I cannot believe I'm saying this but I don't think we need him at the moment.

next week scenario........Morrell injured.(asthma issue)...........our options in midfield to play with any form of mobility are severely curtailed as our other old pro cover in that area are short on legs and may not even make the 90 mins.
Against sides playing 4 or even 5 across the middle you need lads who blow up their gps vests...........and turn over the ball......

Last edited:
At least Rory tried. Unlike the shower of sh|t we had under Tilson.

There were shades of Akinde there but big John glides over the turf like a gazelle once he gets his afterburners on but Rory was a little slower off the mark.
(5 appearances no goals....remember him playing at Hull.)

He glided yesterday in the move for the fourth goal, wonderful to watch we he gets going and gets the ball out of his feet and glides over the top of the pitch.

That was a very decent move that started on the halfway line and once Big John laid that final pass my granny could have put that away,and she`s got bunions!

Rory May- I recall a lonely figure holding up our forward line by himself as we went down to Oxford with 10 men after Simon Yeo kicked the ball against a ball boy....

As much as there is always a pandering after ex players, there is often a equal and opposite reaction of ruling out ex players as we’ve moved on. Each case on their merits, personally I’d have Woodyard back into the current squad.

Not sure where this rumour has come from or whether it has any legs.
However I was curious to see Alex was not even on the bench yesterday. Have to disagree with the majority on here, I would have him back in an instant . Of course most players should not come back, but there are exceptions to the rule. I think Alex might be one of them
Clearly has a strong attachment to the Cowley's and their methods. I think the comments about his supposed failure at Posh are not totally accurate. For me the problem their is poor management and coaching. Would he get in the side currently, I am unsure, but he would still offer us great depth and balance. I could see him playing alongside Morrell . I don't really get that he is not good enough for this level. He was Posh's captain last season. Do we really need him with our midfield riches? Always room in the squad for Alex

As for potentially him being part of a swap for Bruno? I think Bruno had had his head turned and his attitude to the fans is telling. Not good to see this sulking and I don't think Danny will put up with it for long as it is not about being team first. As much as I don't want Bruno to go, we may have to take it, although ideally we would want him to stay and fight for his place. Getting Alex would ease the pain a bit but it would be horrible to see Bruno lining up for them against us. Anyway just my opinion. Whatever the outcome in Danny and Nicky we trust.

If we are to sign someone from Posh please let it be O'Hara. AW was excellent when here and fitted our style. Our style has developed and moved forward we don't need a defensive sitting midfielder.

If we went in for one of their players, I'd take O'Hara over Woodyard. I know most will disagree.
I'd rather have O'Hara too, believe he can play in defence too.
We have players who can play the Woodyard role, O'Hara can play box to box.

With Anderson and Bostwick we have already taken the cream of the crop from Peterboring, so let’s look elsewhere.
We try to play forward at a higher tempo now, so don’t think another Woodyard style player is needed to hold, and play square/backward passes. We have better options in the squad already.