Woodyard | Vital Football

Woodyard

Long suffering Imp

Vital Squad Member
Taken from thr posh forum..

"This will cheer quite a few of you up, Fergie has confirmed Woodyard is looking for a new club. "

mmmmmmm

Would have him back in a heartbeat, whether we could afford him and who would he replace though is another matter. Be a very good squad having him back though and would certainly give us more options.

Morrell is a definite upgrade from Alex, he performs a similar role but seems to release the ball faster, with accuracy and attacking intent. Grieves me to say it as Woodyard is a bona fide legend but him coming back would be an expensive squad addition?

I'm genuinely not sure we need him.
Agreed - we have midfield options albeit restricted by injuries at the moment, Alex coming back would be bench fodder, the Cowleys respect him too much for that- deserves regular starts at an L1 or good L2 club - he'd make a difference to Southend, for instance and has the connections to make that move happen?

I believe we have moved on from Woodyard- Morrell is a significant improvement on Woodyard (as good as he was for us)- don't see him fitting in with our team as it is now.

He wasn't even on the bench for the game today at Posh- I would suggest he will step back down, like Waterfall, to L2.

He is an excellent L2 player who appears to have found L1 a step too far- at least with Peterborough anyway.

No disrespect to Alex but given the level we are playing at the moment I couldn't see him getting anywhere near the team at the moment. Payne, Morell, O'Connor are simply better imo.

As others have said we have moved on. So many players leave us for what they see as higher and better things but ultimately we keep moving on up and passed them!

Woodyard played 51 games for Posh last season in Div 1, including 43 in the league, and was made club captain by Fatty Evans. I don't agree that he hasn't performed at this level. He's just not fancied by the new manager.
if we are playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, then he could be one of the 2. Allowing for some rotation, Bostwick, Woodyard, O'Connor and Morrell.
But, is DM a position we should be using the Everton money to fill? Not sure.

Woodyard played 51 games for Posh last season in Div 1, including 43 in the league, and was made club captain by Fatty Evans. I don't agree that he hasn't performed at this level. He's just not fancied by the new manager.
if we are playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, then he could be one of the 2. Allowing for some rotation, Bostwick, Woodyard, O'Connor and Morrell.
But, is DM a position we should be using the Everton money to fill? Not sure.

Woodyard has not been a fan favourite at London road- regularly lambasted on their forums (subjective opinions that fans forums are!) for his lack of skill, forward momentum and technical ability.

I would think any money from Everton game will go on defensive loanees.

As long as the option isn't goals, 3 in 166 appearances for us and Posh. We're not short of midfielders. Just what we needed when the C's signed him, but not now.
Would have him back in a heartbeat, whether we could afford him and who would he replace though is another matter. Be a very good squad having him back though and would certainly give us more options.
I think probably not , we have moved on!