Woodyard | Page 3 | Vital Football

Woodyard

If the release clause is £225k then even if there are 10 clubs after him the fee will be £225k. His decision will be where he feels he will be happiest on the best terms for him. I can't work out why people think any club would pay more than the clause. Am I missing something?

Also didn't he sign a new deal after the Luton approach?
The trigger clause may well have been increased?

Hello, my name is Leo Fortune-West, I am a former Lincoln city legend and if I was Lincoln manager I would not let him leave.

Leo mate, hang in there,someone somewhere will figure out a way we can get the Cowleys out so that we can get you in as manager as soon as possible.
This needs to happen guys, Leo is the future, lets shuffle the Cowleys on,we're going nowhere with them.

Can't believe some of the negative comments about Woodyard on this thread....just pathetic....he is such a hard worker..such a key personnel...such a inspiration when things aren't going so well...we should definitely not let him go when we are at this level
If you think it’s bad on here try Facebook

Hope he stays - nobody does the job Woody does. May not always stand out or be pretty but he covers every blade of grass on the pitch and so often breaks up oppo attacks by recovering the ball, in so many areas of the pitch. A vital part of our team and our success. If we think he'll go to a bigger club for a fair sized fee, why should we be willing to let him go when we are aiming to get up the leagues ourselves? Think he's one of those players you would struggle to replace and wouldn't really miss him until he's gone - then its too late.

That's what somebody told me.

Football changes so quickly its very fluid you could post stuff and two hours later its all changed.
Most rumours are just that but i'd say 30% perhaps have something to them.

Most successful teams in fact do sell players along the way but the key is replacing them with others of quality. Any team selling a player to a higher standard is an attraction for new players as it shows the team can be a pathway for their development. The way Raggett developed and got a move to Norwich was a kudos for the club and will attract quality talent to join us. The same with Woodyard, as good ad he is the chances are he will move on but DC will have list of simikar quality replacements. its part of the ride of having a successfull spell, we just arent used to having quality players who other teams want to pay money for.

Don't sell. As we've seen before, the clubs that come up from the National League that have a poor 2nd season back in Division 2 fail because they flog their best players.

Not really up to the club. If he wants to move to a higher league then he can go... and fair play to him. If he wants to stay, great. Players have a short career and he is in his prime now, totally understandable to move to a higher level. I think in the right kind of team he could play championship level. He is very disciplined in what he does.

Quite surprising that, two or three years on from Craig Stanley and Gary Mills, people (across the forums, not just on here) would be content with seeing Woodyard leave and playing down what he does for the team. A player who, if asked, would be the answer if the question was 'name a player who embodies the Cowley way'.

Some have become that immune to what Alex does, and to the efficient extent he does it, that it's perhaps no longer appreciated or recognised as it should.

Does he score goals? No. Because that's not his game. Does he create enough goals? No. Because that's not his game. Is he likely to thread through balls? No. Because that's not his game. What he's good at, and what he's in the team to do, are not the aforementioned. It's a bit like asking why Neil Eardley doesn't win as many headers in the final third as Matt Rhead.

It's perhaps a compliment to Alex for being that consistent in what he does that others have become complacent but also to the Club that we've come that far over the last two years that this is even being discussed. Remember Craig Stanley? Tyrone Thompson? Gary Mills, Josh O'Keefe, Ali Fuseini, Greg Tempest, Matt Sparrow, Todd Jordan, Karl Ledsham?

Also bearing in mind Freck and Bostwick are the wrong side of 30, and Woodyard not even in his prime yet, and I'm struggling to comprehend.

The relationship between Woodyard and Cowley(s) would suggest to me that the latter would be aware if he planned on leaving next summer and if he did, then you'd be tempted to sell but until then, a Lincoln midfield without Woodyard in it? Not for me.

Quite surprising that, two or three years on from Craig Stanley and Gary Mills, people (across the forums, not just on here) would be content with seeing Woodyard leave and playing down what he does for the team. A player who, if asked, would be the answer if the question was 'name a player who embodies the Cowley way'.

Some have become that immune to what Alex does, and to the efficient extent he does it, that it's perhaps no longer appreciated or recognised as it should.

Does he score goals? No. Because that's not his game. Does he create enough goals? No. Because that's not his game. Is he likely to thread through balls? No. Because that's not his game. What he's good at, and what he's in the team to do, are not the aforementioned. It's a bit like asking why Neil Eardley doesn't win as many headers in the final third as Matt Rhead.

It's perhaps a compliment to Alex for being that consistent in what he does that others have become complacent but also to the Club that we've come that far over the last two years that this is even being discussed. Remember Craig Stanley? Tyrone Thompson? Gary Mills, Josh O'Keefe, Ali Fuseini, Greg Tempest, Matt Sparrow, Todd Jordan, Karl Ledsham?

Also bearing in mind Freck and Bostwick are the wrong side of 30, and Woodyard not even in his prime yet, and I'm struggling to comprehend.

The relationship between Woodyard and Cowley(s) would suggest to me that the latter would be aware if he planned on leaving next summer and if he did, then you'd be tempted to sell but until then, a Lincoln midfield without Woodyard in it? Not for me.

I think you have it pretty much spot on Luke.

Not really up to the club. If he wants to move to a higher league then he can go... and fair play to him. If he wants to stay, great. Players have a short career and he is in his prime now, totally understandable to move to a higher level. I think in the right kind of team he could play championship level. He is very disciplined in what he does.
Spot on, I think a few people are missing the point. No doubt the release clause was part of the deal to get him to extend contract last time and if it has been met doesn't matter what we want .

Agree entirely with Luke, he would be really missed if he were to leave as he seems integral to everything we have done well at since the Cowleys have been here. No doubt Alex likes playing under DC and NC but there may well be a time when he feels its right for him to see if he can garner a move to a higher level. I wouldn't wish us to stop him that opportunity and am sure the club wouldn't either, I just hope that time isn't right now.

One of the best posts on the forum.

Completely agree. Woodyard is the engine room and would be a huge loss. Even though he’s only got a year left on his contract £250k would be a bargain.