Woodyard! Would you sell? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Woodyard! Would you sell?

No Bossie and Woodyard are not like for like. Bostwick provides cover, reads the game and is there to win headers along with a bigger physical presence. Woodyard is the Duracel bunny that does not give opponents a moments rest for 46 league games a season. We have creative players in Frecklington and Pett we just have to find a way of using them more by not by passing midfield as much.
Agree, putting Woody and Bozzie in the same mould is really misunderstanding them. Very different players. Also think Pett will be very important next season.

He must be kept

We need enough players for all game scenarios and to cover injury

The more players you have and rotate the less injuries effect your team

I have thought about this for a while now. if Bostwick was ready to move in to the central defence position then NO. If not then yes, with both in midfield in stifles any creativity.

Absolutely not. The main criticism of Woodyard is that he is not creative enough & that he passes square or backwards. His 'strength' is exactly that - he's very good at retaining the ball under pressure and is very difficult to knock off the ball. He has a low centre of gravity and turns well on the ball. These are all attributes of good midfield players. He clearly has the skill & attributes of a much better player - he just needs to learn how to turn and go forward with the ball, without being scared of losing it, and to play forward passes, between and behind defenders, for the likes of Green and Anderson to run onto round the back of defenders. I don't include Rhead as he's not that type of striker, though Woodyard could play the ball into his feet for him to lay off - would save all those silly free-kicks/lack of FKs by referees (which mainly come from 'aerial' challenges). Imagine if Woody could add that offensive type move to his game - his value would sky-rocket. Maybe that's Freck's project - with around him he could learn (& studying footage of those types of midfielders).

Anyone saying we don't need him if we have Bossie and Freck should also remember they are both over 30 now (Freck is 32 with a history of injuries).

As mentioned everyone has a price but I don’t think we should be encouraging any offers.
I don’t think the Cowley’s want to see him sold and I’d defer to their good judgement.

Only a few months ago people on this board were pretty unanimous in their wish for him to stay. What a difference a defeat in a 'free hit' playoff competition apparently makes.

Woodyard - ever present, consistent, energetic, disciplined, skilled, loyal, the 'DNA' of Lincoln. And now apparently holding the team back.

Good teams with ambition do not sell their best players.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the point that the most successful clubs are those which sell well and sign well. Rewind to 1997 and pose the same question.

Should we sell Gareth Ainsworth? Ainsworth was 10 times the player that Woodyard is. We sold him and signed Gavin Gordon. We got promoted.

We have to remember our place in the pyramid. We are no big time Charlie and we should not have the arrogance of one. We are a recently promoted Fourth Division club. We need to sell to survive. That is the general situation of Fourth Division teams.

Exactly, Hulloutpost. And the financial position in 1997 was very different to that of 2018. Half a million helped Lincoln survive in 1997 - in today's money that's nearing £900k. What will £225k do for the club in 2018?

Exactly, Hulloutpost. And the financial position in 1997 was very different to that of 2018. Half a million helped Lincoln survive in 1997. What will £225k do for the club in 2018?

Well we would only have a 25k loss instead of 250k. 225k with a sell in clause is good business. I'd be surprised if he was still with us post the close of the transfer window.

It doesn't matter which player it is, if the right offer came in it would have to be seriously considered.
But the club would have to receive offers way above the current value for certain players.

So basically, what everyone is saying is no we don’t want to sell him but we might have to to balance the books.